The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando

Funny, The Glue (allmost) totally replaced the Waves SSL bus compressor in my projects! Only when I deliberately want to destroy the stereo image and make everything sound a bit aggresive/dirty, I pick the Waves SSL compressor. They both are great compressors, it's like having an old type SSL bus compressor (Waves) and a modern version (The Glue).

YMMV
+1 here!
Old 17th January 2011 | Show parent
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
This is great! Love it!thumbsup
Just makes me want to shout...........
WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE!!

Can't wait for your next one. Anything coming soon?

Graham
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After reading about over sampling I finally read the manual and learned how to turn it on. Its in the load menu btw. Looking forward to trying it out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You know, over the past year...

I started with The Glue. I liked it, but it's not a "character" plug, so it didn't make me do a funky dance or anything. Since then, I've collected many others. I fell in love with some, thought a few were "the one."

... but eventually on some other system, in someone else's car... somewhere, I'd end up hearing a side of them on my material that I didn't like. After a year of experiencing this, I now can really appreciate the true value of a truly transparent compressor.

I have reached the point where I take ALL compression off my master buss because I plain and simply believe that a good analog chain with an expert ME can do much better than I ever could with a plug... but for other busses, I may have found newer, I may have found sexier...

... but I haven't found BETTER than The Glue.

That being said... I'd love some of the api 2500 style controls on it, or a new product to sink my teeth into since there's no denying I've now been bit by the bug.
Old 19th January 2011 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
Hey Andy, when you have a moment can you chime in on anything that's incorrect here on the subject of aliasing at 44 vs 88 or 96, and SRC:

Some info on the debate of diff DAW Quality, Recording in 44.1k, 88.2k, 96k and SRC.
Sure thing! I really should get around to writing a proper technical article on this stuff, but I'll post a few quick points that should help.
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Sure thing! I really should get around to writing a proper technical article on this stuff, but I'll post a few quick points that should help.
A proper article proving the differences between recording and processing at 44.1 vs recording and processing at 88.2 or 96 accompanied by audio clips really needs to happen. It should be provable and be a lot more common agreed upon knowledge so that people are aware of how to truly get the best sound and not so many conflicting speculatory views being recycled.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➑️
This is great! Love it!thumbsup
Just makes me want to shout...........
WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE!!

Can't wait for your next one. Anything coming soon?

Graham
Thanks Graham! I'm working on my next few plugins at the moment which will be released in 2011. I'll release further details including sound examples and early screenshots as soon as possible, and at that stage of proceedings I will be able to give some time estimates as well. All I can say is the next plugin won't be a compressor or eq, but something still very useful in modern productions and something I feel hasn't been given justice in native form yet. I'll head back to doing another compressor or an eq after this next plugin.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed ➑️
I love the Glue, great plugin. My favourite ITB compressor alongside the PSP Old Timer

Is there any plans to make a TDM version? I am running out of delay compensation on Aux tracks at times.
I have no plans to do TDM version at the moment sorry. I really need to get a few more native plugins done before investing in TDM development. I'll have another look into the viability of doing TDM versions of my plugins at the start of 2012.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
aye looking forward to your filter then
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
some info about the next plugin ! cool

" All I can say is the next plugin won't be a compressor or eq, but something still very useful in modern productions and something I feel hasn't been given justice in native form yet."

so a similar plugin already exist on UAD

could be a delay, a reverb, a filter, an overdrive, a tape emulation...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think Reverb and Delay have been given justice in the native world. Look at Lexicon and Aether, Timeless 2 and Echoboy.

I'd like to see what kind of saturation plug you can come up with. And off course plenty of other stuff.
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Well regardless what type of plugin comes next,
I reckon we all can agree that if it does what it does half as good as "The Glue" does compression it will be pretty impressive!

Lookin forward to it

Graham
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I totally quote Graham!

but...i think it could be a phase related plugin, for phase rotation/alignment heh
Old 20th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man, I really, really hope it's a kick ass tape emulation. I bet Andy could do a really great one.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
yeah...i know...but there are so many tape sims...boring...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe ➑️
yeah...i know...but there are so many tape sims...boring...
Not so many great ones though.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
no...i think there are some great native tape sims.
I currently use McDsp AC2, Urs Saturation, JB ferox, Roundtone and Nomad Magnetic...as soon as i can i'll add Dad Tape to the list.

I think AC2, Urs (mostly the 15 ips one) and Dad Tape are really great.

If Andy is working on a new tape sim, it could be great...but not exciting

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
Not so many great ones though.
I agree, man.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what tape does :
- give a certain frequency response (EQing)
- add some harmonics (distortion)
- slightly compress the sound (compression)

i don't like these tape sim plugs. i'd rather EQ, distort and compress myself with separate plugs, instead of using a so called "magic" plugin.

if you want a real tape sound, you have to record on tape first. going from DA to tape to AD is a bit pointless to me. you'll still get something digital sounding, unless the tape machine is really messed up and sounds like a dictaphone.

i don't think Cytomic is working on a tape sim.
Old 21st January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
..a preamp maybe ? Just a really great sounding preamp - always comes in handy in the studio in hardware form, and i've always wished someone would come with something as straightforward & unobtrusive as a 2-610 in plugin form.
Whatever it may, be, i guess we'll all be anxiously waiting for the first info
Old 10th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm having an issue with CPU spikes when adjusting the mix knob and the filter knob in protools 9. When I adjust the filter protools will give me a dae error. It occasionally happens with the mix knob also. I tried doing the same in Logic and when I move the filter knob the CPU usage jumps up on all the cores. I've got the latest version of the glue installed (not at my computer at the moment so I can't remember the exact ver number)
Old 11th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasm_dtc ➑️
..a preamp maybe ? Just a really great sounding preamp - always comes in handy in the studio in hardware form, and i've always wished someone would come with something as straightforward & unobtrusive as a 2-610 in plugin form.
Whatever it may, be, i guess we'll all be anxiously waiting for the first info
Yeah, I'm really surprised no one has fully tackled that one yet. I've come across some decent impulses, but no plug that lets you dial in your vintage flavor. So many other types of saturation plugs, but a void in the preamp department IMO.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul ➑️
Yeah, I'm really surprised no one has fully tackled that one yet. I've come across some decent impulses, but no plug that lets you dial in your vintage flavor. So many other types of saturation plugs, but a void in the preamp department IMO.
Analog Channel, Redline Preamp, URS Saturation, Slate VCC, Airwindows Desk...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➑️
Analog Channel, Redline Preamp, URS Saturation, Slate VCC, Airwindows Desk...
Word, there are tons of preamp vsts. Do some searching, y'all! Before you make statements.

On a seperate note, why did Gearslutz change how quotes are handled? When you press quote it no longer includes the other quotes in the post, just the non quoted text. Very bad for a discussion forum.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin ➑️
I'm having an issue with CPU spikes when adjusting the mix knob and the filter knob in protools 9. When I adjust the filter protools will give me a dae error. It occasionally happens with the mix knob also. I tried doing the same in Logic and when I move the filter knob the CPU usage jumps up on all the cores. I've got the latest version of the glue installed (not at my computer at the moment so I can't remember the exact ver number)
Hi Dankin, thanks for the bug report. That sounds a bit crap, having dae dropouts is not fun, and I will look into it immediately. Can you please email me so I ask a couple more questions to isolate the issue? Contact | Cytomic
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 ➑️
what tape does :
- give a certain frequency response (EQing)
- add some harmonics (distortion)
- slightly compress the sound (compression)

i don't like these tape sim plugs. i'd rather EQ, distort and compress myself with separate plugs, instead of using a so called "magic" plugin.

if you want a real tape sound, you have to record on tape first. going from DA to tape to AD is a bit pointless to me. you'll still get something digital sounding, unless the tape machine is really messed up and sounds like a dictaphone.

i don't think Cytomic is working on a tape sim.
Spot on bruvva! I'm not working on a tape sim plugin. Before I would even consider such a project I would have to be convinced that the "magic" of tape is preserved by the signal chain mic -> pre -> adc -> dac -> tape -> adc, as this is exactly the situation the plugin is in. I have a feeling that with really good converters and a high sample rate that it may be possible, but it would require lots of investigation and research.

If I did do a tape simulation it would be just that, a simulation of the magnetic fields, electronics, and physics of reality, not a conglomerate of existing dsp to approximate the same output results - that's just the way I swing. I find it easier to model what is going on and the structure it is done in and just use the final sound as a way of double checking things are right, not as the thing to be directly emulated itself. In that regard there would be no way to split apart the saturation from the compression from the frequency response, as it would all just be a result of the simulation. This is the case for The Glue as well, I can't split the compression from the saturation harmonics or vice versa, they are both the same thing and result from the simulation of the circuit.

I am not working on a pre-amp plugin either. Again it is something I would have to do lots of research into to be convinced such a plugin would be worthwhile. When you plug a mic or instrument into a pre-amp it becomes one circuit and the sound you get depends on both source and the pre-amp. There are some pre-amps that sound great with certain mics and not with others. I have a gut feeling that it is the joining of the two parts that counts, and splitting one from the other will have already lost lots of what is good. This will especially be the case if you want to save money on a decent pre by running your mic directly into a soundcard pre and then trying to "tone up" the signal with a plugin - it just won't give the same results at all.

That being said, if you do get good results from running a signal through the chain dac -> preamp -> adc, then I think a plugin could do justice to that. I feel there are currently better projects for me to concentrate on that are easier to tackle and will deliver better results.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thanks for the heads-up Andy - well, then we can just wait for more info from you, in the meantime suspense will be difficult to bear

I completely agree on your analysis of the tape- and preamp-sim thing, the physics are complex and extremely "dynamic" (meaning depending on what you plug into it and what signal path one uses) - maybe that'll be something really interresting in a few years, when our machines can actually compute a lot more data and maybe emulate these complex behaviours closely.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs ➑️
Word, there are tons of preamp vsts. Do some searching, y'all! Before you make statements.

I don't know if this was supposed to be a joke, but I hope you realize that half the plugs mentioned don't do any PREAMP modeling at all, and having used both redline and URS, I can very comfortably say that they are easily bested by freely available IR's.

Thus, my statement... based on MANY searches, and longtime personal involvement with all but one of the plugs mentioned. The only one I haven't used (VCC) has the great bulk of it's product description, stated purpose, and reviews focussed on it's mixing channel characteristics. In fact, it is clear from the description that vintage "mixing boards" were chosen and emulated specifically for their prowess as mixing boards. There is little if any discussion about it's use as a preamp modeler.

Just like I said, there are a LOT of OTHER types saturation plugs (mainly focussed on tape sat, tube sat, OR ANALOG CHANNEL EMULATION.

anyway... bowing out here as this is becoming off topic. The only on topic part was my suggestion to Andy that I believe such a plug would do well in this era of people amassing preamp collections.

I look forward to hearing what comes out regarding the tape sat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul ➑️
I don't know if this was supposed to be a joke, but I hope you realize that half the plugs mentioned don't do any PREAMP modeling at all, and having used both redline and URS, I can very comfortably say that they are easily bested by freely available IR's.
anyway... bowing out here as this is becoming off topic.
No. That's not how it works. You don't say something false passing it as a fact when in reality it is just your misinformed opinion, and then "bow out" as if you are above it all.

What do you think Redline PREAMP is if not a preamp?

112dB

And what do you think these URS Saturation algorithms are, if not preamps?

The six digitally recreated Pre Amplifiers add different and distinct vintage even and odd ordered harmonics, input stage saturation and soft clipping.
The six Pre Amplifier Saturation algorithms include:
  • Class A Tube Mic Pre Amplifier - Vintage Motorcity
  • Class A Tube Mic Pre Amplifier - German
  • Class A Discrete Pre Amplifier - British
  • Class A Discrete JFet Pre Amplifier - Modern
  • Class A Tube Mic Pre Amplifier - 1951
  • Class A Tube Mic Pre Amplifier - Tape Deck

There are even great free options. What do you think the preamp section of SonEQ is? Could it possibly be... a preamp?
What do you think the preamp section of BootEQ mkII is? Could it possibly be... a preamp?

Regardless if you think there are IR's that sound better, there are plenty of preamp plugins.
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
dude, he admitted the Redline and the URS were preamp "emulators." He just said he didn't like the way they sounded. The other plugs you mentioned were not preamp-modeling plugs. I don't know about the McDSP plug, but I have both the Slate VCC and Airwindows Desk. They're both great, but they don't model preamps.

That's all the guy was saying.
πŸ“ Reply