Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 55 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 24th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Great Andy!!! I love The Glue...
For the next one, what about an api2500?? the 1176 is over-emulated and my drums ask for some 2500 punch

By the way, since i use protools. i don't need dual mono operation, but blending between standard and dual mono operations it's a ground breaking feature imho
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I As I need to re-do the gui anyway to better support hosts that don't handle narrow interfaces
I luv the current narrow GUI
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe ➑️
Great Andy!!! I love The Glue...
For the next one, what about an api2500?? the 1176 is over-emulated and my drums ask for some 2500 punch

By the way, since i use protools. i don't need dual mono operation, but blending between standard and dual mono operations it's a ground breaking feature imho
I agree - I tried the Waves 2500 and I like the character a lot, but it just sounds more "like a plugin" than the Glue - we could use some on Andy's magic in this type of comp.
Old 25th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HOLY CRAP.

I mean, HOLY CRAP.

I had been using 1.0.18 for a good while, and since everything was stable, I just hadn't bothered to update it. Until last night. Did I say "holy crap" yet?

Going into the oversampling modes just totally changed the game for me. I was trying to master a song for a client, and I was having trouble getting the volume I wanted without introducing distortion. I tried the version I already had of The Glue, and it was nice, but it really didn't achieve what I needed. Then I thought, "hey, I should download the update and give that a whirl." What an unbelievable difference. With oversampling at x8, I was able to use the peak clip feature and keep distortion at bay for a long, long time. And this was on a total mix. I can't wait to try it out on a drum bus alone. I was really, really shocked at how big a difference the oversampling made for me in that particular case.

I was already loving The Glue, but now, I'm even more thrilled with it. Great plugin, Andy. It "feels" more and more "analog" every time you update this thing.
Old 25th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the Glue, great plugin. My favourite ITB compressor alongside the PSP Old Timer

Is there any plans to make a TDM version? I am running out of delay compensation on Aux tracks at times.
Old 29th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
really REALLY cool plugin - i'm mixing something for rivers cuomo using it on the mixbuss and loving it.... a little 250 HP and 84% wet on the compression mix knob... yes!!!
Old 1st December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
am I doing something wrong or I just dont get it. But to me or the kind of music I make this plug is under Waves SSL Compressor.....
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriciom ➑️
am I doing something wrong or I just dont get it. But to me or the kind of music I make this plug is under Waves SSL Compressor.....
Funny, The Glue (allmost) totally replaced the Waves SSL bus compressor in my projects! Only when I deliberately want to destroy the stereo image and make everything sound a bit aggresive/dirty, I pick the Waves SSL compressor. They both are great compressors, it's like having an old type SSL bus compressor (Waves) and a modern version (The Glue).

YMMV
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando ➑️
Funny, The Glue (allmost) totally replaced the Waves SSL bus compressor in my projects! Only when I deliberately want to destroy the stereo image and make everything sound a bit aggresive/dirty, I pick the Waves SSL compressor. They both are great compressors, it's like having an old type SSL bus compressor (Waves) and a modern version (The Glue).

YMMV
I use a lot of percussion. The glue just dulls my kicks to make them blend in with the rest. If I use Waves everything blends in well and I can still hear my kicks standing out...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I use a lot of percussion. The glue just dulls my kicks to make them blend in with the rest. If I use Waves everything blends in well and I can still hear my kicks standing out...
For percussion/drums, I love The Glue. I start with the attack on .1ms, release .1 second and a ratio of 4:1. I play with the treshold and most of the time I end up with 12dB to 15dB of max gain reduction. And then.. the magic happens, because I start to play with the Range button, dialing it counter clockwise untill you hear (and see) that it's not doing those 15dB of gain reduction anymore on the peaks, but a little less... this is where, for me, the real magic happens. Suddenly, I have the sound I want.

Sometimes all I have to do next is engage the HPF filter a little bit to taste.

In my world, The Glue is so much more versatile then the Waves SSL bus compressor.. I'm not saying better.. I'm just saying different/more versatile.. and that makes it my #1 compressor ITB. heh

But again, YMMV

edit: yeah, this is my 500th post! Congratulations to myself! heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando ➑️
For percussion/drums, I love The Glue. I start with the attack on .1ms, release .1 second and a ratio of 4:1. I play with the treshold and most of the time I end up with 12dB to 15dB of max gain reduction. And then.. the magic happens, because I start to play with the Range button, dialing it counter clockwise untill you hear (and see) that it's not doing those 15dB of gain reduction anymore on the peaks, but a little less... this is where, for me, the real magic happens. Suddenly, I have the sound I want.

Sometimes all I have to do next is engage the HPF filter a little bit to taste.

In my world, The Glue is so much more versatile then the Waves SSL bus compressor.. I'm not saying better.. I'm just saying different/more versatile.. and that makes it my #1 compressor ITB. heh

But again, YMMV

edit: yeah, this is my 500th post! Congratulations to myself! heh
Im still not convinced. I did find it sounds better on some configs than others. For example I get way better response from Waves when used with sidechain key. But the glue sounds a lot better on a kicks bus. But if I add a high pitch sound to the kick bus it goes to the ****ter. Any ways, I think the deal is just to play with both.
Old 2nd December 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Check out the recent review of The Glue in Sound on Sound magazine. He does in depth comparisons between The Glue, the Waves SSL Bus Comp, and the UAD 4k Bus Comp, as well as several hardware versions. In summary The Glue was closest to the analog hardware, followed shortly thereafter by the UAD, the Waves didn't really rate according to the reviewer - but you should read the article for full details.

One thing to note: are you matching the compression amount using the compression meter? I render the the compression meter needle in The Glue so it behaves like that of the analog hardware, which is clearly different from what the Waves plugin does, so best check the levels some other way, like via the host vu meters. The Glue is very smooth so you will probably be over-compressing things without even knowing it when you make your comparisons.

The "harshness" in the Waves version is most likely aliasing, which is not good, and you can see visually in this thread: https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...ml#post5668105 . The Glue also features oversampling, but these graphs are generated without it on. With oversampling on The Glue can reduce aliasing to in-audible levels easily.

Having said all that, if you like the sound of any plugin then you should use it. Don't let anyone else, including reviewers with the excellent ears, loads of experience, and the best converters, speakers, and listening environments tell you otherwise. After all they are not the ones mixing your music, you are, and music is a highly subjective thing.
Old 17th December 2010
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

Finally updated to the latest version with oversampling. Awesome work Andy!! It sounds great!
Old 18th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Andy, we all know you're working on a new plugin, and we all have an idea what it's gonna be...

will it be released anytime soon ?

can't wait to get more
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lordy, i hope it'll be an 1176, but i'm afraid it won't be.
I thought Andy was planning a totally different "effect" plugin next. For some reason, I kept thinking it was going to be a chorus or an autofilter of some kind. Not sure where I got that idea, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham ➑️
Lordy, i hope it'll be an 1176, but i'm afraid it won't be.
I thought Andy was planning a totally different "effect" plugin next. For some reason, I kept thinking it was going to be a chorus or an autofilter of some kind. Not sure where I got that idea, though.
I think we have enough 1176 plugins, imo the Waves CLA76 is excellent and reminds me of the hardware version very much. We need more new stuff, like The Glue, which is of course based on hardware but more advanced
Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, can I please ask for you input on smoothly variable linked to dual mono compression?

My questions are: when do people find smooth linking most useful? What kind of source material works best with smooth linking? What settings do people most often use on compressors with smooth linking?

100% linked: left = 50% + 50%, right = 50% + 50%
75% linked: left = 67.5% + 37.5%, right = 37.5% + 67.5%
50% linked: left = 75% + 25%, right = 25% + 75%
0% linked: left = 100% + 0%, right = 0% + 100%

I've tried an algorithm out and done some listening tests and it seems to me that dual mono compression pulls the stereo image more towards the centre, and fully linked keeps it spread out how it was originally the best. With some material around 75% link can sound quite good as well, but I really had to listen closely to different stereo sections of source material to pick the difference. 50% (and above) seemed to pull the stereo image towards the middle again and not sound so good. So for me it seems like I should make the knob 0% on the left most end, 75% in the middle (straight up), and 100% on the other right most end.
Old 20th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use 70% and unlinked (API 2500 HW)

The individual API channels detects control voltages separately
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have to admit, variable linkage is a new concept to me...interested to try it.

I just bought the Glue and it is a really fantastic plug (I know I'm late to the party on this one). The phase-coherent mix control is particularly useful. I have been going through a half-mixed record and replacing my old SSL-style mix compression plug. While the Glue wins out in every track, I have to say it would be really nice to have fully variable attack and release times. I have no idea how tough that is to code, but to be able to nail down the sweet spot would knock this thing out of the park for me.

I know it is an emulation, and that would make it less authentic. My favorite features of this plug are already unrelated to the hardware...might as well go all the way?!?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy, on the Waves API 2500 I sometimes use around 70%, occasionally I use as much as 80%. I'll go completely unlinked if I'm compressing a bus that has hard panned guitars or something like that. Generally, I keep everything linked, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
I think we have enough 1176 plugins, imo the Waves CLA76 is excellent and reminds me of the hardware version very much. We need more new stuff, like The Glue, which is of course based on hardware but more advanced
I know I don't have enough 1176 plugins. I do have the CLA-76, and it does remind me of one particular hardware 1176 I used to use regularly about 10 yrs ago, but it still doesn't have the same envelope at 4:1 or 8:1 to me. I prefer the Softube FET at all ratios except "All In," where I do prefer the CLA-76. BUT, the Softube FET has rather high aliasing, and Andy has shown that he knows how to get rid of aliasing quite well.

When Andy launched "The Glue," there were already several SSL-style bus compressor plugs, a couple of them actually branded with the SSL logo. I for one am very, very glad that did not dissuade Andy from making The Glue. I have a sneaking suspicion that if Andy did an 1176, a lot of us would feel the same way about that model.
Old 21st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im still not convinced. I did find it sounds better on some configs than others. For example I get way better response from Waves when used with sidechain key. But the glue sounds a lot better on a kicks bus. But if I add a high pitch sound to the kick bus it goes to the ****ter. Any ways, I think the deal is just to play with both.
Andy, great job on this plugin. I've just recently downloaded the trial. It blew me away! I've heard of this thing for awhile and after the review in SOS, I decided to finally check it out. I can't believe what you did for this price point, it defies logic.
Old 21st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

just try UAD new SSL bus compressor and compare it to The Glue.
Compression character is pretty same. Attacks more "snappy" on UAD.
I stay with The Glue.
Old 31st December 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➑️
just try UAD new SSL bus compressor and compare it to The Glue.
Compression character is pretty same. Attacks more "snappy" on UAD.
I stay with The Glue.
The new officially branded UAD SSL Bus compressor sounds exactly the same as the old 4k one: UAD Forums • View topic - UAD 4k plugins vs UAD SSL plugins - null tests so the Sound On Sound review is still valid for anyone interested in a comparison between The Glue, the Waves version, the UAD version, and some analog units. In summary the review said The Glue had a slight edge on the UAD, with the Waves not doing so well.
Old 31st December 2010
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

There's simply no catching Andy in the SSL VST comp race. Particularly when it's constantly pushing forwards! Andy.. my projects love you! heh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Hey guys, can I please ask for you input on smoothly variable linked to dual mono compression?

My questions are: when do people find smooth linking most useful? What kind of source material works best with smooth linking? What settings do people most often use on compressors with smooth linking?

100% linked: left = 50% + 50%, right = 50% + 50%
75% linked: left = 67.5% + 37.5%, right = 37.5% + 67.5%
50% linked: left = 75% + 25%, right = 25% + 75%
0% linked: left = 100% + 0%, right = 0% + 100%

I've tried an algorithm out and done some listening tests and it seems to me that dual mono compression pulls the stereo image more towards the centre, and fully linked keeps it spread out how it was originally the best. With some material around 75% link can sound quite good as well, but I really had to listen closely to different stereo sections of source material to pick the difference. 50% (and above) seemed to pull the stereo image towards the middle again and not sound so good. So for me it seems like I should make the knob 0% on the left most end, 75% in the middle (straight up), and 100% on the other right most end.
I like completely unlinked dual mono meself.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells ➑️
really REALLY cool plugin - i'm mixing something for rivers cuomo using it on the mixbuss and loving it.... a little 250 HP and 84% wet on the compression mix knob... yes!!!
does it have a button for "record band playing in the room together"?
Old 2nd January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_wilson ➑️
does it have a button for "record band playing in the room together"?
what?
Old 4th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am gonna give this thing a go thumbsup
Old 17th January 2011 | Show parent
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey Andy, when you have a moment can you chime in on anything that's incorrect here on the subject of aliasing at 44 vs 88 or 96, and SRC:

Some info on the debate of diff DAW Quality, Recording in 44.1k, 88.2k, 96k and SRC.
πŸ“ Reply