Old 9th November 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker ➡️
What is happening with Web page?
I can't open it.
Is The Glue now VST 3 compatible?
The web page may have just been a little slow, but I am not aware of any issues. The Glue does not support the VST 3 standard.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast ➡️
Andy,
Can your compressor be used for acoustic fingerpicking guitars? I never used SSL compressors and after reading the majority of posts I can see that The Glue (and SSL in general) is mostly used as bus, drums and vocal compressor…hence my question. Also, for a first time user, what settings would you recommend for fingerpicking guitars? Let’s say if I want to round off some picks and tighten up dynamics without boosting low mids. The majority of compressors tend to shift the tonal balance too much and I’m looking for something that complements the sound rather than changes it.
Also, what are the limitations of the demo ?
Thanks
Hi Sonic_Beast. Yes, The Glue should work well on fingerpicking guitar. You can download the trial version, it has no audio limitations, so you can hear it at full quality, and you can load presets and also use oversampling. I am not sure as to the best preset, it depends on what you want to do to the guitar. If you want to control the attack portions of the sound then I suggest a fast attack and release, and a ratio of 4, and get the needle bouncing up to -3 dB. You can click on the VU meter and you will get a second yellow needle showing peak compression level which you wouldn't want much past -6 dB for a gentle setting. If you want to smooth out the dynamics then use a medium attack and release, and a ratio of 2. You could also possibly try the auto release setting depending on the recording. This may all sound a little technical, but please load a copy of The Glue and have a play, hopefully it shouldn't take long to get a setting that best suits what you have in mind as all settings impart a useful variation on the sound.

The trial limitations are it is time limited, has no automation in hosts (so no hardware surface mapping with mackie control or euphonix or novation etc), and no saving of settings. Be aware that some hosts won't allow bouncing or rendering since they first save the settings, then make a new copy of The Glue, and then load the settings in that, and then process, but since save is disabled in the trial so this won't work.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagalj ➡️
Sorry to jump in with question which is maybe covered in previous posts:
Is oversampling something that takes care of aliasing made by lower resolution samples processing? And if we record in, say 88.2 or 96kHz oversampling is useless?
Also, with plugins in oversampling mode x2, x4, theres no need for higher resolution sampling than 44.1 or 48kHz?
Im getting kind of confused with all this.
This is an excellent question. Since there are two sample rates 44.1 and 48 kHz, I am going to refer to everything as multiples of this base rate otherwise things get long winded. So:

x1 = 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz
x2 = 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz
x4 = 176 kHz or 192 kHz
x8 = 352 kHz or 384 kHz

I recommend recording at x2 as most of the time you won't need further oversampling when using EQ or mild compression. If you do more strenuous compression or drive the signal then you will most likely need oversampling even on top of this. A good default level is x8, which is then only 2 doublings of oversampling more from x2, and since there is lots more room above 20 kHz since you are already at x2 then the oversampling filter is much more efficient to implement, so the whole oversampling process is smoother and better. You then resample down to x1 for final release only. So if your system can handle it this is what I recommend.

Running sessions at x4 to me is a waste of hard drive and cpu, but until hosts implement oversampling in a more useful manner or all your plugins support oversampling then this may be the only option if you have lots of harmonics from non-linear processing being generated ITB.

Running at x1 may be the only option for some people, but please bear in mind that the cost of oversampling up from x1 to x2 is the hardest to do right, and takes the greatest cpu hit possible, so if you are doing it lots you may actually be better off just running the whole session at x2. Otherwise just pick the places you really need the oversampling to help the most and be happy with that increase in quality - the master buss is a good place to start.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
No, you should get different oversampling, but Cubase can't handle dynamically changing the latency (delay caused by oversampling) during render, so I don't report it to Cubase. If it takes the same time processing then the host isn't reporting to The Glue that it is doing an offline render. Can you please email me and let me know a bug report? I'll get in contact with the host developer and find out what is going on: Contact | Cytomic
Andy, i just install cubase 5.5.2 update (was 5.5.1) and try 1.1.2 of Glue.
All works fine. Diferent oversampling modes causes different rendering time.
Thank you!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➡️
Andy, i just install cubase 5.5.2 update (was 5.5.1) and try 1.1.2 of Glue.
All works fine. Diferent oversampling modes causes different rendering time.
Thank you!
You're welcome! Did you mean 1.1.3 of The Glue?
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're welcome! Did you mean 1.1.3 of The Glue?
yes, sorry. 1.1.3. last stable version.
Deleted User
The Glue sounds Amazing !
Old 10th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Den, give the Aether preset treatment to The Glue. That would be SICK!

While you're at it build some effects chains for the two!
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Amazing on parallel compression. Applied to the master bus narrows the stereo image.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Key ➡️
Amazing on parallel compression. Applied to the master bus narrows the stereo image.
I used to use the Waves SSL bus compressor and I didn't like the fact that it narrows the stereo image that much. I don't have this problem when using The Glue actually!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando ➡️
I used to use the Waves SSL bus compressor and I didn't like the fact that it narrows the stereo image that much. I don't have this problem when using The Glue actually!

There is no compressor that will not slightly shrink stereo field when used on stereo bus to glue things together.
But yes, Glue compressor shrinks it less than SSL, at least in my experience
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is no compressor that will not slightly shrink stereo field when used on stereo bus to glue things together.
But yes, Glue compressor shrinks it less than SSL, at least in my experience
Unless you are running dual mono (unlinked). I wish this were an option with the glue. That would make it the clear king of ssl plugs.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
A dual mono option would be cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Unless you are running dual mono (unlinked). I wish this were an option with the glue. That would make it the clear king of ssl plugs.

That's true about multi mono, i was talking about stereo comp on master bus and there is no escaping narrowing of a stereo field when using stereo linked bus comp. But then again i could use multimono only in PT and i can't be bothered to move my preproduction to PT anymore. Plus, i don't like messing with a stereo image with compressors. Dangerous stuff.
I think that Steinberg was trying to introduce multi mono possibility in VST 3 standard, but then The Glue isn't VST 3 compatible
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I finally got around to upgrading to 1.1 (jumped straight to 1.13 from 1.08 or something like that)... and man, it really is an improvement. Sounds so damn good on the short attack/release times now!!

I think Andy has fulfilled his obligation of post-release support a hundred times over by now, but if there's any space for more improvements a variable stereo link (a la Voxengo plugs) would be amazing... Sometimes just unlinking by as little as 5-10% can do amazing things for the stereo image.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
...may I add one more thing: Mid-Side operation

::
Mads
Old 13th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's true about multi mono, i was talking about stereo comp on master bus and there is no escaping narrowing of a stereo field when using stereo linked bus comp. But then again i could use multimono only in PT and i can't be bothered to move my preproduction to PT anymore. Plus, i don't like messing with a stereo image with compressors. Dangerous stuff.
I think that Steinberg was trying to introduce multi mono possibility in VST 3 standard, but then The Glue isn't VST 3 compatible
Not dangerous if you are doing less than a db of reduction. Mastering engineer trade secret.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit ➡️
I finally got around to upgrading to 1.1 (jumped straight to 1.13 from 1.08 or something like that)... and man, it really is an improvement. Sounds so damn good on the short attack/release times now!!

I think Andy has fulfilled his obligation of post-release support a hundred times over by now, but if there's any space for more improvements a variable stereo link (a la Voxengo plugs) would be amazing... Sometimes just unlinking by as little as 5-10% can do amazing things for the stereo image.
I agree about it sounding a lot better. Pretty amazing how it just keeps improving.
Lives for gear

yesss.
Variable Stereo Link and M/S processin (with solo mode) will be cool!
Old 14th November 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yesss.
Variable Stereo Link and M/S processin (with solo mode) will be cool!
I have already committed some time ago to add support for some kind of dual mono operation. A single button for this is a straight forward extension of the existing algorithms, and so easy for me to add. As I need to re-do the gui anyway to better support hosts that don't handle narrow interfaces I may as well add dual mono processing. At the time I will also look into ways of having some sort of variable linking amount, but no promises in this regard.

I have no current plans to add support for Mid/Side processing to The Glue since it requires two thresholds or some other way of adjusting the gain separately for each, and The Glue is not designed for this from the outset, but I will have a think about it and see if there is any elegant way to incorporate it. Again, no promises.

If you require dual mono, variable linked, or mid side processing please do not buy The Glue at this time! Please make your purchasing decision based on the current feature set only
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you need dual mono it's not a big deal to split your signal and put The Glue on the Left and the Right with the same settings
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
If you need dual mono it's not a big deal to split your signal and put The Glue on the Left and the Right with the same settings
also we can split MS with free Voxengo MSED to mid and side parts and compress it with 2 instances of Glue
Old 19th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dual Mono mode would be great.
Give Andy some time for 1176
I can't stand current simulation.
Old 19th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i dunno about 1176. too much emulation of this legend.
uad, softube and others...
Old 19th November 2010
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax
Yes, but with dongles and a bit expensive. The Glue emulates what many others already have done yet it is very good in its own right.
Old 23rd November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have already committed some time ago to add support for some kind of dual mono operation. A single button for this is a straight forward extension of the existing algorithms, and so easy for me to add. As I need to re-do the gui anyway to better support hosts that don't handle narrow interfaces I may as well add dual mono processing. At the time I will also look into ways of having some sort of variable linking amount, but no promises in this regard.

I have no current plans to add support for Mid/Side processing to The Glue since it requires two thresholds or some other way of adjusting the gain separately for each, and The Glue is not designed for this from the outset, but I will have a think about it and see if there is any elegant way to incorporate it. Again, no promises.

If you require dual mono, variable linked, or mid side processing please do not buy The Glue at this time! Please make your purchasing decision based on the current feature set only
Andy, please, a hard dual-mono operation is not very useful, the only useful thing is the principle applied in the API 2500 compressor, that is to blend between stereo and dual-mono with a knob or slider.

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer ➡️
Andy, please, a hard dual-mono operation is not very useful, the only useful thing is the principle applied in the API 2500 compressor, that is to blend between stereo and dual-mono with a knob or slider.

thanks
That would be a great feature, I agree
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
guys please don't ask too much features. he'll never have the time to work on something else !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jkn ➡️
Yes, but with dongles and a bit expensive. The Glue emulates what many others already have done yet it is very good in its own right.
Yes, and The Glue beats all the other emulations, in my opinion. I would LOVE to see Andy go after an 1176. I think it's quite possible he would be able to beat the other emulations on that piece as well.
Old 24th November 2010 | Show parent
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
YES.. dual mono & variable linking amount!!

Andy.. you are constantly working to push this thing to new levels and that's what makes this the best plugin purchase a person could ever make. A brilliant compressor that only gets better.
📝 Reply