Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 57 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1681
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Hi Dankin, thanks for the bug report. That sounds a bit crap, having dae dropouts is not fun, and I will look into it immediately. Can you please email me so I ask a couple more questions to isolate the issue? Contact | Cytomic
Thanks. I'll send you an email.
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1682
Lives for gear
 
lobsterinn's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I don't want to be confrontational or hijack this thread, but I can't let this go...

A preamp is an amplification device. Since there would be no point in replicating the primary function of a preamp in the digital world, it really seems silly to call any plugin a 'preamp' simulator. What you want from a 'preamp' plugin is saturation, harmonic enhancement and a subtle eq curve - like what you get when you drive a real preamp - or the line input of a mixing console.

There are dozens and dozens of plugs which attempt to do this. Whether or not the current attempts satisfy is a matter of taste. To say no one is doing preamp simulation is silly.

Andy seems to be really good at emulating analog compression. My vote is he sticks with that for the time being...LA3A?
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1683
Lives for gear
 
theothermarkwilliams's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➑️
I don't want to be confrontational or hijack this thread, but I can't let this go...

A preamp is an amplification device. Since there would be no point in replicating the primary function of a preamp in the digital world, it really seems silly to call any plugin a 'preamp' simulator. What you want from a 'preamp' plugin is saturation, harmonic enhancement and a subtle eq curve - like what you get when you drive a real preamp - or the line input of a mixing console.

There are dozens and dozens of plugs which attempt to do this. Whether or not the current attempts satisfy is a matter of taste. To say no one is doing preamp simulation is silly.

Andy seems to be really good at emulating analog compression. My vote is he sticks with that for the time being...LA3A?
I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on this, btw. Sorry if my comment seemed out of order. I was just trying to clarify what I think Apollo Soul was trying to say. In my mind, these are all just "tone shapers," and we use such devices to achieve our artistic ends. I used to sometimes run drums back through the line amps on some Neve 1066s in the studio where I used to engineer, because I really liked what they did to the sound, especially the top end. But I didn't always do that. Sometimes the "secondary function" of a piece of gear can be as important as the "primary function."

Some of these kinds of emulations I find to be helpful. Others, I do not.

Cheers, man.
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1684
theother
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I have no plans to do TDM version at the moment sorry. I really need to get a few more native plugins done before investing in TDM development. I'll have another look into the viability of doing TDM versions of my plugins at the start of 2012.

TDM is dying. Why waste resources?

just my thought...
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1685
Lives for gear
 
Ain't Nobody's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham ➑️
dude, he admitted the Redline and the URS were preamp "emulators." He just said he didn't like the way they sounded. The other plugs you mentioned were not preamp-modeling plugs. I don't know about the McDSP plug, but I have both the Slate VCC and Airwindows Desk. They're both great, but they don't model preamps.

That's all the guy was saying.
Frankly, it would take some mental gymnastics to twist my words into anything OTHER than the above. Additionally, I do know about the McDsp. I've used it, and the basic description right from their website is:

"The McDSP Analog Channel plug-In was designed to emulate the sounds of analog mixing consoles (busses), tape machines, and tape media."


I have Desk too... and Channel...

... also not preamp plugs. I don't think I or anyone else here is the least bit interested in a semantic discussion that attempts to redefine the term "preamp."


Andy can have his thread back now.
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1686
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Seems a couple people are just having a problem with some basic terms:


From Wiki

"A microphone preamplifier is a sound engineering device that prepares a microphone signal to be processed by other equipment. Microphone signals are normally too weak to be transmitted to units such as mixing consoles and recording devices.[dubious – discuss] Preamplifiers increase a microphone signal to line-level (i.e. the level of signal strength required by such devices) by providing stable gain while preventing induced noise that would otherwise distort the signal.[1]
The microphone preamplifiers are colloquially called microphone preamp, mic preamp, preamp (not to be confused with a control amplifier in high-fidelity reproduction equipment), mic pre and pre."

There. Glad that's settled.

I love the Glue, Andy. I love the way the range knob works.
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1687
Lives for gear
 
Hardtoe's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Can we give it a rest boys?

I think that we all know

ONLY THE PREAMP MATTERS

virtual or real.


Now, can we please return to the Glue?
Old 12th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1688
Lives for gear
 
bugscoe's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blex ➑️
Just tried the demo out and I have to say it sounds quite excellent. It seems to glue everything together and compress everything while still isolating and cleaning up all the freq's and transients in that classic 384 fashion.

I did a few tests comparing the stock logic studio compressor with lagerfeldts g series settings and it's night and day. the stock logic lagerfeldt ssl settings, while sounding fine, never had that tight, punchy, silky smoothness of the g series comp. hats off to you cytomic, cause the glue has got it!

I also played around with setting up a drum buss and a bass buss mixing through the 2buss and it just sounds so clean and crisp. gonna have a lot of fun with this.

also, a quick question, i was listening to some of the audio demos on your site and there is a track in particular (Doof) that seems to radically alter the sound of all the instruments. Can you elaborate on how the glue was used on this? it certainly doesn't sound like any setting achieved by simply going through a 2buss!

end rant, i will be buying this!
Just purchased The Glue a few days ago. Fabulous work!

I found the same thing with the Logic comp using the lager SSL presets when comparing to the Glue, night and day.

The price point is great! Thanks, Andy. Looking forward to your future plugs.
Old 13th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1689
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I just had the chance to work on a friend's system with this compressor.
I must say I am definitely going to purchase it, I demoed it long time ago
and massively undervalued it despite I did like it at the time anyway.
But today I've been deeply comparing it with I think all the plugin compressors
available in that system (quite a lot..) including Waves studio comps, CLA and Softube and others,
and for the life of me I could NOT reproduce it's sound on the drum bus with anything it was there (including)

Well, better late than never I guess. Really great sounding compressor.
Oh and I think for the first time (even tho' probably I think this one is the only one
I know that allows you to set oversampling "on the fly") I realized how audible is
the difference even just between the standard 44.1 setting vs 88.2, impressive. Great job!
Old 13th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1690
Lives for gear
 
Ain't Nobody's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It's The Glue that first got me doing parallel since it makes it so easy. I've since done some version of it with many other comps, but I generally tend to prefer it on The Glue.

The range is only something I've recently really messed with. I may be wrong, but it appears to me that is not just putting a strict cap on the range the way that, say, bombardier does (which I also like)... It seems to me that it has a more dynamic interaction depending on other factors like threshold (unless I'm being tricked by the meters.)

As both the range and mix are two very different ways to essentially "dial down" the compression, I'd be interested to hear anyone's take on how and why they tend to balance those two in different situations.

I've recently been using a bit of both... dialing the range down to dig the threshold a bit deeper, and using more aggressive settings in combination with the mix knob... always "clean" and "precise", yet lots of variation within that realm.
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1691
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I was about to get it today but a friend of mine told me he had problems with it on Pro Tools 9/W7,

can anyone report if everything's ok with that setup?
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1692
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➑️
I was about to get it today but a friend of mine told me he had problems with it on Pro Tools 9/W7,

can anyone report if everything's ok with that setup?

Why don't you demo it?

R.
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1693
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Working perfectly in PT9. No issues at all with the Glue
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1694
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➑️
I was about to get it today but a friend of mine told me he had problems with it on Pro Tools 9/W7,

can anyone report if everything's ok with that setup?
Recently I've had a couple of reports of CPU in PT 9 spikes when moving controls on The Glue, or opening the GUI, both of which leads to a halting of the audio engine. I take this very seriously and I'm looking into it right now. I'll let you know what I find. If you are just processing audio without moving the controls everything is fine.
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1695
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks Andy,
I really like your compressor, it seriously did make me smile for how good it sounds,
but PT is kinda touchy with plugins, I'll wait till everything is sorted, I'm subscribed to the thread,
I'll follow the updates, also kudos for all the effort you put into constantly improving the plugin!
Old 15th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1696
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➑️
Thanks Andy,
I really like your compressor, it seriously did make me smile for how good it sounds,
but PT is kinda touchy with plugins, I'll wait till everything is sorted, I'm subscribed to the thread,
I'll follow the updates, also kudos for all the effort you put into constantly improving the plugin!
No problem, I completely understand! I'm currently looking into this and I'll post to this thread as soon as there is news, and once I have more of an idea about what is going on I'll also let you know a realistic time estimate for when it will be fixed.
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1697
Deleted #157546
Guest
Sorry if it's been asked....

Does the license work over multiple computers. I want to use the Glue on my desktop and laptop.

I figure it does...but want to be sure before I drop cash.....or paypal.
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1698
Deleted #157546
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall ➑️
good question, I've read too many great reviews to not buy but I need to use it on 2 machines, a workstation and a laptop.. hopefully for 1 price

Funny...I just got an e-mail from Andy as I posted that.

Yes...you can use it on multiple computers in your studio...and even at the same time.

I'm sold!
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1699
Deleted #157546
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 ➑️
Funny...I just got an e-mail from Andy as I posted that.

Yes...you can use it on multiple computers in your studio...and even at the same time.

I'm sold!
Well...he said 2 computers...to be specific...but I'll let him answer if you need more than that.
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1700
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Yes, the license allows you to run The Glue on two computers at once, if they are both used by you personally, or if you are using them both for a single client. So if you have a studio with multiple systems that each gets used for different clients at once, then you will need to purchase one license per such system. I do not enforce this with invasive copy protection systems. Each copy of The Glue you download is pre-registered and will work on any system you copy it to, so you will never have any downtime, or lost registration information, or run out of auths, or any other such thing to get in the way of you making music.
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1701
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
And across multiple platforms, I might add, which is invaluable for us Mac-PC guys. Andy's policy is very generous.
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1702
Gear Maniac
 
Rimby's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Yes, the license allows you to run The Glue on two computers at once, if they are both used by you personally, or if you are using them both for a single client. So if you have a studio with multiple systems that each gets used for different clients at once, then you will need to purchase one license per such system. I do not enforce this with invasive copy protection systems. Each copy of The Glue you download is pre-registered and will work on any system you copy it to, so you will never have any downtime, or lost registration information, or run out of auths, or any other such thing to get in the way of you making music.
This kind of policy means I will buy more software from you in the future (I already own The Glue). I wish other software companies would figure this out.
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1703
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Yes, the license allows you to run The Glue on two computers at once, if they are both used by you personally, or if you are using them both for a single client. So if you have a studio with multiple systems that each gets used for different clients at once, then you will need to purchase one license per such system. I do not enforce this with invasive copy protection systems. Each copy of The Glue you download is pre-registered and will work on any system you copy it to, so you will never have any downtime, or lost registration information, or run out of auths, or any other such thing to get in the way of you making music.
thumbsup

Thank you... This just solidified my decision to purchase.
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1704
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
I buy A LOT of software, but anything with an iLok i will not buy on principle. It just does not make any sense to me to punish those who buy software with dongles whose sole purpose is making your life suck. They will get cracked, even with a dongle, so I hope Andy sells many many thousand copies of the Glue so that he can continue to make excellent software - and perhaps other companies can learn from his model. I would be interested to see how many customers any given "dongle company" loses because of their restrictions. For me, when I discover a new plugin and I want to buy it, I want to play with it instantly. If I can do that without having to wait for the iLok to arrive, without having to go through the pain of registring the new software on the dongle etc.. I bought the Glue once I read about it because I could play right away. If there had been a dongle, there would have been no Glue for me; and I am sure a lot of other folks feel the same way. The question is.. how many?
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1705
Lives for gear
 
Ain't Nobody's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➑️
And across multiple platforms, I might add, which is invaluable for us Mac-PC guys. Andy's policy is very generous.
+1000
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1706
Lives for gear
 
Hardtoe's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes ➑️
I buy A LOT of software, but anything with an iLok i will not buy on principle. It just does not make any sense to me to punish those who buy software with dongles whose sole purpose is making your life suck. They will get cracked, even with a dongle, so I hope Andy sells many many thousand copies of the Glue so that he can continue to make excellent software - and perhaps other companies can learn from his model. I would be interested to see how many customers any given "dongle company" loses because of their restrictions. For me, when I discover a new plugin and I want to buy it, I want to play with it instantly. If I can do that without having to wait for the iLok to arrive, without having to go through the pain of registring the new software on the dongle etc.. I bought the Glue once I read about it because I could play right away. If there had been a dongle, there would have been no Glue for me; and I am sure a lot of other folks feel the same way. The question is.. how many?
Too bad a lot of people don't buy software and will still download any crack they can.

Ilok was solid for a long time before it was cracked (at least on the mac).

Heaven forbid a developer try to protect themselves via ilok - it is actually very simple and painless to authorize a demo/purchase on an ilok.

(If you actually have an ilok already, most new licenses arrive within minutes)

I like Andy's CP method, pricing and plug in a lot - but I dont knock other developers who have a different model.

Times are tough and businesses have the right to make their own decisions.

Last edited by Hardtoe; 16th February 2011 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Less bitchy
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1707
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➑️
C'mon guys play cool, and give Andy back his thread.


Graham
We're cool And sorry for the derailing!
Back on topic. A little trick I found to work well with the Glue on pads is to really push it hard.. you will hear then that the highend of the pad will lose some of it glitter, but that it sounds really controlled and smooth. After that just add some PSP sQuad or some other coloring EQ and push the top back up.. sounds so smooth and analog I almost can't believe it. It has come to the point where I feel bad for using the Glue, because it feels like cheating.. and also it seems wrong to use it on just about every single channel

Sorry again..
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1708
Manufacturer contact @ GS
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes ➑️
I feel bad for using the Glue, because it feels like cheating.. and also it seems wrong to use it on just about every single channel
I like that quote, i use it on a lot things as well, it really is easy to use.

Graham
Old 17th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1709
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes ➑️
I buy A LOT of software, but anything with an iLok i will not buy on principle. It just does not make any sense to me to punish those who buy software with dongles whose sole purpose is making your life suck.....For me, when I discover a new plugin and I want to buy it, I want to play with it instantly. If I can do that without having to wait for the iLok to arrive, without having to go through the pain of registring the new software on the dongle etc..
First up, I have The Glue and love it......but now a small thread hijack.

To not buy any software simply because it needs an iLok is, with all due respect, an extraordinary act of principle.
You could say that, as a matter of principle, you are depriving yourself of access to some of the best software available.
Difficult to explain to clients..."yeah, I know you would like to use X plugin, I've heard that it is really cool but, as a matter, of principle I don't have it !".
As for having instant access,there isn't an "etc" after registering the new software on the dongle. By then you are up and running having already downloaded the software, which you have to do with non iLok software.
If you are capable of working out how to use a DAW and all the plugins etc that go with them, buying and registering a product that requires an iLok isn't really all that diffcult.

Did I say I love the Glue.......
Old 17th February 2011 | Show parent
  #1710
Deleted #157546
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➑️
First up, I have The Glue and love it......but now a small thread hijack.

To not buy any software simply because it needs an iLok is, with all due respect, an extraordinary act of principle.
You could say that, as a matter of principle, you are depriving yourself of access to some of the best software available.
Difficult to explain to clients..."yeah, I know you would like to use X plugin, I've heard that it is really cool but, as a matter, of principle I don't have it !".
As for having instant access,there isn't an "etc" after registering the new software on the dongle. By then you are up and running having already downloaded the software, which you have to do with non iLok software.
If you are capable of working out how to use a DAW and all the plugins etc that go with them, buying and registering a product that requires an iLok isn't really all that diffcult.

Did I say I love the Glue.......
Clients shouldn't be interested in what plugins your using or what daw your using, etc...

All that should matter is...

A. Can you do the job?

and...

B. Will do you do a good job?

Did I say I love the glue too?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615431
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 39199
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 295 views: 74346
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181832
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump