Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 53 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 4th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
For render there will be Off, x2, x4, x8, x16, x32, x64, x128, x256. Realtime will reamin as is, ie Off, x2, x4, x8, x16.
preamp or saturation unit?

x256 means you're working at an audio rate of like 11MHz or something berzerk. what the hell needs that much grunt??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No one really needs it. It's just cool to have.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➡️
No one really needs it. It's just cool to have.
i remember reading an article on crazy oversampling (e.g. 256x) in combination with a naive hard clipper on kvr developer forums a while back that was meant to sound totally killer...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In Cubase where do I find the over sampling option? It's not in the main menu of the Glue like in the quickstart guide. Thanks

Never mind I installed the latest version and there it is
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 ➡️
It only happens with faster-than-realtime processing, which as far as a I know ProTools doesn't support. I.e. the only value that'll do anything is the Realtime one under ProTools (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, btw!)
Thank you! It makes sense
Thank you Andy for creating this great plugin.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So in general terms of oversampling, not just with The Glue, what do you guys think is the best trade off in terms of quality / processing time? 8x?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So in general terms of oversampling, not just with The Glue, what do you guys think is the best trade off in terms of quality / processing time? 8x?
Should depend on settings.
I usually set only x4, but I don't use fastest attack/release that often.
It's also a thing you can easily check yourself! Just use some snappy drumloop and test x2-x8 side by side!
Old 5th November 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For render mode I recommend x8 as a good default setting for the best compromise between speed and quality. This will cover even heavy compression settings and musical use of the Peak Clip function. For realtime I recommend Off or x2 depending on how much cpu and latency is acceptable in your project. I will try and indicate this in the menu somehow in the v1.1.2 release.

If you have a higher setting for render then you will probably want to double check your mix after rendering since it should sound more open and smoother so you may not need as much eq etc to get what you want. This will usually be in the > 10 kHz range, which is where most aliasing resides without oversampling. It will be interesting to get feedback from people about this sort of thing and include a paragraph in the manual on the topic.

My guess is without oversampling people may use eq to dull the harshness due to aliasing in the top end, especially on hats and cymbals, but with oversampling this shouldn't be needed, and you may even want to use a subtle boost to match the mix you previously had.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's awesome Andy, thanks for your reply! I feel bad for those PT users, still no offline bouncing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Andy, I purchased the Glue. Im very happy with its performance. Hey let me ask you, how do we make it oversample @ 256x?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not out yet, Andy said it should be in 1.1.2.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: The Glue v1.1.2 is ready for download for everyone

The Glue v1.1.2 includes:
* New: updated linear phase high quality oversampling to support up to 12 MHz (x256) – note that x2 is recommended for Realtime and x8 is recommended for Render
* New: slightly improved preset handling with next and previous buttons
* Fixed: unwanted smoothing of Mix and Makeup Gain on first process block
* Fixed: needle is now reset of when not processing audio
* Fixed: detection of offline rendering in Reaper and Sonar
* Fixed: reporting of dynamic latency in VST version in Live and possibly other hosts
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy,
Is it possible to use your plugin to remove aliasing that is caused by other plugins if I put The Glue at the end of the chain?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast ➡️
Andy,
Is it possible to use your plugin to remove aliasing that is caused by other plugins if I put The Glue at the end of the chain?
No. If a plugin another plugin causes aliasing then it is already too late. There is nothing that can be done to remove aliasing once it is added to a signal short of using some kind of very advanced spectral noise removal algorithms that, as far as I'm aware, currently don't exist. Even if some aliasing could be removed you would not get good results as aliasing is way harder to remove than simple hiss and hum.

If you have a plugin that currently causes aliasing I would recommend you get in contact with its developer and get them to add optional oversampling like I've done.
SEB
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi

Thanks for the update, but this version freezes my Nuendo during bouncing. Works fine during realtime playing/working. Win7 64 Nuendo 5.1 32bit.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Totally crashing latest Logic and my Ensemble. Any one have the last version? tutt
Old 6th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Installed my backup, now working again.
Logic 9.1.3
OS 10.6.4
Mac Pro 2.26 dual quad
Apogee Ensemble.

As soon as I hit play in Logic My Ensemble turns red and stops outputting audio. Close Logic and open iTiunes every thing works fine. Repaired permissions, restart. No go.
Revert to the Glue 1.1.0 everything is back to normal.
Need any other info?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB ➡️
Hi Thanks for the update, but this version freezes my Nuendo during bouncing. Works fine during realtime playing/working. Win7 64 Nuendo 5.1 32bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguy6 ➡️
Totally crashing latest Logic and my Ensemble. Any one have the last version? tutt
Hi SEB and bassguy6. Thanks for the bug reports. Can you please email me so I can ask any further questions if needed, and also email you a test builds if I have trouble duplicating the error at my end?

Thanks!

Contact | Cytomic
QTM
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Apologies if this was already covered.

I'm getting the weird GUI behavior thing again (last 2 updates). If I hide it/open it 3 times it straightens out, but meanwhile it darts all over both displays in pieces.

Any PT people experiencing this with a fix?
Tried trashing the Settings.xml. Didn't find a preference file to trash...
Not a biggie, really, still works great!

Mac Pro Clovertown 8 Core
OSX 10.6.4
PTLE 8.0.4
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTM ➡️
Apologies if this was already covered.

I'm getting the weird GUI behavior thing again (last 2 updates). If I hide it/open it 3 times it straightens out, but meanwhile it darts all over both displays in pieces.

Any PT people experiencing this with a fix?
Tried trashing the Settings.xml. Didn't find a preference file to trash...
Not a biggie, really, still works great!

Mac Pro Clovertown 8 Core
OSX 10.6.4
PTLE 8.0.4
Thanks for the bug report. Can you please email me so I can ask a few more questions? Contact | Cytomic

There have been some updates to the Juce framework (which I rely on for graphics and adapting to different operating systems and plugin formats) which address such issues on Windows, so I'll update and see if it helps for Mac as well. Such updates can introduce instability since there is a lot of code that changes that is out of my direct control, so I am loath to update to the latest version of Juce without good cause. I always label a release as "beta" after such an update as there is a high risk of things going wrong.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy,
Can your compressor be used for acoustic fingerpicking guitars? I never used SSL compressors and after reading the majority of posts I can see that The Glue (and SSL in general) is mostly used as bus, drums and vocal compressor…hence my question. Also, for a first time user, what settings would you recommend for fingerpicking guitars? Let’s say if I want to round off some picks and tighten up dynamics without boosting low mids. The majority of compressors tend to shift the tonal balance too much and I’m looking for something that complements the sound rather than changes it.
Also, what are the limitations of the demo ?
Thanks

Old 7th November 2010 | Show parent
Deleted e1b9f94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast ➡️
Andy,
Can your compressor be used for acoustic fingerpicking guitars? I never used SSL compressors and after reading the majority of posts I can see that The Glue (and SSL in general) is mostly used as bus, drums and vocal compressor…hence my question. Also, for a first time user, what settings would you recommend for fingerpicking guitars? Let’s say if I want to round off some picks and tighten up dynamics without boosting low mids. The majority of compressors tend to shift the tonal balance too much and I’m looking for something that complements the sound rather than changes it.
Also, what are the limitations of the demo ?
Thanks
Making guitar fingerpicking "snap" is really nice sounding with glue. IMHO Glue is more then appropriate to do this. You need higher then usual treshold, small attack and adjust ratio and release to taste i mean until is is sounding like you want. The key is higher treshold and attack mostly.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What is happening with Web page?
I can't open it.
Is The Glue now VST 3 compatible?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the bug report. Can you please email me so I can ask a few more questions? Contact | Cytomic

There have been some updates to the Juce framework (which I rely on for graphics and adapting to different operating systems and plugin formats) which address such issues on Windows, so I'll update and see if it helps for Mac as well. Such updates can introduce instability since there is a lot of code that changes that is out of my direct control, so I am loath to update to the latest version of Juce without good cause. I always label a release as "beta" after such an update as there is a high risk of things going wrong.
Just wanted to say, I am working with Andy on resolving my particular issues. I revert back to 1.1.1 and everything works great!!! And sounds awesome...
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Andy,

Tried the 1.1.2 and it's not working correct in Pro Tools HD either. I'll see if I can give you more detail via email.

Thanx

M2E
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sorry to jump in with question which is maybe covered in previous posts:
Is oversampling something that takes care of aliasing made by lower resolution samples processing? And if we record in, say 88.2 or 96kHz oversampling is useless?
Also, with plugins in oversampling mode x2, x4, theres no need for higher resolution sampling than 44.1 or 48kHz?
Im getting kind of confused with all this.
Old 8th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Andy, i confused with those oversample modes.
I have THE SAME rendering time when i use x2 or x16 mode.
is it ok?
i was think it must be faster in x2 mode and slower in x16 mode...
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
News: The Glue v1.1.3 is ready for download

The last release was not good, sorry people! I have been working flat getting it right, so for everyone having trouble with v1.1.2 please download this version and give it a go, hopefully all will be well again.

The Glue v1.1.3:
* Fixed: mono oversampling now working that was broken in v1.1.2
* Fixed: hang on render in Cubase and Nuendo by not reporting latency change during render. Until Steinberg fix the issue at their end renders will not have correct automatic latency correction

The Glue v1.1.3 also has everything that was in v1.1.2:
* New: updated linear phase high quality oversampling to support up to 12 MHz (x256) – note that x2 is recommended for Realtime and x8 is recommended for Render
* New: slightly improved preset handling with next and previous buttons
* Fixed: unwanted smoothing of Mix and Makeup Gain on first process block
* Fixed: needle is now reset of when not processing audio
* Fixed: detection of offline rendering in Reaper and Sonar
* Fixed: reporting of dynamic latency in VST version in Live and possibly other hosts
Lives for gear

Quote:
hang on render in Cubase and Nuendo by not reporting latency change during render. Until Steinberg fix the issue at their end renders will not have correct automatic latency correction
Andy, is it mean 2x and 16x mode will render the SAME time? :(
Old 9th November 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➡️
Andy, is it mean 2x and 16x mode will render the SAME time? :(
No, you should get different oversampling, but Cubase can't handle dynamically changing the latency (delay caused by oversampling) during render, so I don't report it to Cubase. If it takes the same time processing then the host isn't reporting to The Glue that it is doing an offline render. Can you please email me and let me know a bug report? I'll get in contact with the host developer and find out what is going on: Contact | Cytomic
📝 Reply