Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 52 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 25th October 2010 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty ➑️
Thanks Andy, I looked at my preferences and that option wasn't checked; I checked it and re-started Reaper but the issue remains. Both instances of the Glue in this picture have the same oversampling settings.

I'm also very willing to entertain the idea that I may be doing something wrong!
I'll email you directly and see if we can track down the issue
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin J. ➑️
Nice review in the new Nov. edition of SOS.
Product Review - Cytomic The Glue
Thanks Melvin! For those without access to the online version of SOS here is a small quote: "How does their plug-in compare with established offerings from Waves and UA? ... The Glue sounds more open and has a more defined stereo width — and it certainly provides ‘the glue’ on a variety of instruments. It’s kind of a ‘more of everything’ compressor, and at a great price too!"
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Boy, do I agree with that quote! I've been using it on brass, saxes, vocals, electric guitar, bass and drums and it is amazingly helpful. Great job, Andy!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Another interesting thing came out of the review (sorry if I already posted this before here). Frederick, who did the review, has an excellent audio setup, the best speakers, a really good room, a Mytek 192 ADC and Lavry DACs. In the blind A B examples I sent to him using a regular "pro" 8 in 8 out soundcard he actually preferred the sound of The Glue to the SSL G-Series bus comp, since the test signal had to be converted twice by the "pro" soundcard and it degraded the signal quality. So if you want to buy analog kit you had best first spend thousands on a good stereo DAC and ADC otherwise you may be worse off than just using The Glue ITB!

Also in the review he only tested x2 oversampling. Now you can process x16 oversampling, which should get things sounding even closer to the analog hardware. Frederick now has the lastest version of The Glue, always a good sign when the reviewer uses things in their own productions after the review is done, so I'll find out off him if the extra oversampling has made any difference in quality.

I have now even added support for up to x256 oversampling on render, so you can use the peak clip as a distortion box with no audible aliasing Anyone want to hear some audio examples processed at over 12 MHz ? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I have now even added support for up to x256 oversampling
Hahaha someone always has to take it too far in true slut fashion, love your work
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anyone want to hear some audio examples processed at over 12 MHz ? heh
YES! ...and you're crazy! In a good way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll email you directly and see if we can track down the issue
In true Andy fashion, he emailed me immediately and is working on a test-build to track down the issue. This kind of service is rare and very much appreciated!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica ➑️
LA-2A? Since i still haven't found a good alternative to waves and uad, it wouldn't be such a bad stategy? just a thought.
That's another good one. I will never purchase anything from waves and the uad version is just okay compared to the original.

I'm sure Andy is getting amused by all these comments. I mean, in a good way of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've mentioned it before, but it needs to be said again. This is how it should be done. Quality product, great support, great price and no nonsense copy protection. That's what it comes down to. So other developers that are reading this, take note..
Old 2nd November 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cytomic Announces "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw
I've mentioned it before, but it needs to be said again. This is how it should be done. Quality product, great support, great price and no nonsense copy protection. That's what it comes down to. So other developers that are reading this, take note..
Couldn't agree more!
Old 3rd November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Questions about the Oversampling option: (under Sonar 8.5 32bit)
1. Does each The Glue instance have its oversampling settings?
i.e. the oversampling is not a global setting.

IMHO, a global settings need less time to change individual instance
settings. Especially when the DAW is not fully supported
(described in 2)
But the local instance setting is cool for detail mixing plan.

2. The Glue oversampling real-time does not work in Sonar 8.5 while the render x16 does take lots of CPU (real-time x16 takes almost 0~1%CPU)
But the design works in Cubase SX 5.

Thanks for the great 16X oversampling. And looking forward to Cyta76
Old 3rd November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I found that v1.1.1 is out.
What's new with that?
And when x256 would be released?
Old 4th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go ➑️
What's new with that?
β€’ Fixed: bug in RTAS version only that disabled the external sidechain in v1.1.0
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, can't wait to test that Peak Clip feature with 256x oversampling.

That said, I can't wait for a saturation toolbox and a tube eq from Cytomic.

Could be stunning, no less.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnest ➑️
Questions about the Oversampling option: (under Sonar 8.5 32bit)
1. Does each The Glue instance have its oversampling settings?
i.e. the oversampling is not a global setting.

IMHO, a global settings need less time to change individual instance
settings. Especially when the DAW is not fully supported
(described in 2)
But the local instance setting is cool for detail mixing plan.

2. The Glue oversampling real-time does not work in Sonar 8.5 while the render x16 does take lots of CPU (real-time x16 takes almost 0~1%CPU)
But the design works in Cubase SX 5.

Thanks for the great 16X oversampling. And looking forward to Cyta76
The oversampling is a per instance settings and it is saved in your song. You can save the current value of oversampling as the default one which is what a new instance of The Glue will be created with. Just select the menu item "Save Settings As Default". Once you have saved a song then the settings for oversampling remain exactly how you saved them, even if you change your default settings again after that.

How about I add another menu item called "Oversampling -> Copy to others" that copies the oversampling settings to all other instances that are open?

(edit:didn't answer 2)

2) This is a bug in v1.1.1 of The Glue. The automatic switching between "Realtime" and "Render" settings is broken in v1.1.1 of The Glue in Sonar and sometimes in Reaper. This is due to code I found in the framework I'm using called "Juce" that tried to be helpful and automatically switch which mode to use based on thread priorities instead of just listening to what the host has said is the case. I did think it odd at the time but didn't want to fiddle just for the sake of it, but my initial reaction has proved to be correct. I have now removed this "helpful" code and things work perfectly. This fix, along with the x256 oversampling will be released very soon. I just want to add a next and previous button to the preset browser, so hopefully this will be done today and released on Friday to everyone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How about I add another menu item called "Oversampling -> Copy to others" that copies the oversampling settings to all other instances that are open?
That sounds like a great idea Andy.. Hey, I didn't even know that kind of thing was possible from a single plugin... talking to others!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What's new with that?
As previously stated the v1.1.1 just had a fix for the RTAS sidechain being accidentally disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➑️
Wow, can't wait to test that Peak Clip feature with 256x oversampling.

That said, I can't wait for a saturation toolbox and a tube eq from Cytomic.

Could be stunning, no less.
x8 is already very high quality and I recommend this or x16 as the default high quality render amount which will give pristine results with a reasonable amount of cpu.

x256 is ludicrously large amounts of oversampling, gobsmackingly stupendously wasteful in most circumstances, and it takes a very long time to process. It is only really needed if you are being outrageously silly with the compressor and or Peak Clip for special effect and driving the absolute f*#$ out of things with very high frequency signals. This much oversampling will be useful for future products I'm working on as well, which is why I have added it now to The Glue :-) It will be included v1.1.2 of The Glue which I will release very soon.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The oversampling is a per instance settings and it is saved in your song. You can save the current value of oversampling as the default one which is what a new instance of The Glue will be created with. Just select the menu item "Save Settings As Default". Once you have saved a song then the settings for oversampling remain exactly how you saved them, even if you change your default settings again after that.

(edit:didn't answer 2)

2) This is a bug in v1.1.1 of The Glue. The automatic switching between "Realtime" and "Render" settings is broken in v1.1.1 of The Glue in Sonar and sometimes in Reaper. This is due to code I found in the framework I'm using called "Juce" that tried to be helpful and automatically switch which mode to use based on thread priorities instead of just listening to what the host has said is the case. I did think it odd at the time but didn't want to fiddle just for the sake of it, but my initial reaction has proved to be correct. I have now removed this "helpful" code and things work perfectly. This fix, along with the x256 oversampling will be released very soon. I just want to add a next and previous button to the preset browser, so hopefully this will be done today and released on Friday to everyone.
1) An option to "Oversampling -> Copy to others" is cool, it's the first plug-in I've ever used allowing manipulation of both local and global settings. Very considerate.
2) No wonder. Good to know a fix/update will be released so soon.

Thanks you for confirmation and swift support.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry if this has already been explained, maybe some good fellas can point towards the right post.
Here is my question: What is the difference between regular oversampling and the render one?
Thanks for any explanations.
Bas.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto ➑️
Here is my question: What is the difference between regular oversampling and the render one?
Thanks for any explanations.
Bas.
I'm not an expert but.....my guess is.....the regular setting determines what is going on with the Glue when listening to the tracks where the Glue is being used...and the render setting determines what setting will be applied when you export/bounce/render the tracks you have been listening to. stike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➑️
I'm not an expert but.....my guess is.....the regular setting determines what is going on with the Glue when listening to the tracks where the Glue is being used...and the render setting determines what setting will be applied when you export/bounce/render the tracks you have been listening to. stike
So, does it mean that the effect will be rendered during bounce? That would be the first plugin I have that does that... unless I'm missing something.
The Glue is not in the Audiosuite menu in ProTools, when does the rendering happen?
Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm just asking. I love the plugin, I couldn't work without it!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So, does it mean that the effect will be rendered during bounce? That would be the first plugin I have that does that... unless I'm missing something.
The Glue is not in the Audiosuite menu in ProTools, when does the rendering happen?
Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm just asking. I love the plugin, I couldn't work without it!
Beatworld's answer is spot on :-)

The Rtas plugin standard, as far as I know, does not support offline render or bounce mode, so you have to stick to the "Realtime" settings if you use the Rtas version of The Glue.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It only happens with faster-than-realtime processing, which as far as a I know ProTools doesn't support. I.e. the only value that'll do anything is the Realtime one under ProTools (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, btw!)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't use PT so can't help on that question/issue.
I use Logic.

As for your other issue....maybe this example will help..

I use the Glue when mastering.
I use it as an insert on stereo 24 bit files.

I also use other plugins in other inserts at the same time.
For example, an eq plugin and last of all a limiter plugin.

When I am happy with the settings on all the plugins, including the Glue, I must bounce/export/render (whatever you want to call it) the 24 bit file to 16 bit 44.1 so it is ready to use on a CD.

During that process all of the settings of the plugins I have used permanently alter the original 24 bit file on it's way to becoming the final 16 bit file.

So, yes, to use your words...all the effects will be "rendered during the bounce".

Does that help ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It happens when you bounce the song down.

So you can listen and mix in realtime with no oversampling (thus saving system resources), but then when you bounce the song, you can have The Glue do oversampling.

EDIT: sorry, i didn't realize so many people would answer, including Andy himself! So the RTAS version apparently works differently due to the ProTools architecture, and the inability of RTAS to render offline.

Last edited by theothermarkwilliams; 4th November 2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Andy clarified everything above.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So does this apply to "Bounce To Disk" in Pro Tools as well?

Thanks,
~Iz
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This much oversampling will be useful for future products I'm working on as well, which is why I have added it now to The Glue :-) It will be included v1.1.2 of The Glue which I will release very soon.
It is actually scary to think of what may truly need that much oversampling LOL

Maybe you'd add something like x64/x128?
It would be interesting to see whether there would be any measurable difference between those.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi ➑️
So does this apply to "Bounce To Disk" in Pro Tools as well?

Thanks,
~Iz
correct. anything in pro tools is going to use the 'realtime' settings, because everything in pro tools is realtime except audiosuite (and no one really supports that stuff except avid)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
cytomic "3630"
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It is actually scary to think of what may truly need that much oversampling LOL

Maybe you'd add something like x64/x128?
It would be interesting to see whether there would be any measurable difference between those.
For render there will be Off, x2, x4, x8, x16, x32, x64, x128, x256. Realtime will reamin as is, ie Off, x2, x4, x8, x16.
πŸ“ Reply