Pultec style EQ... I don't get it. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pultec style EQ... I don't get it.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Pultec style EQ... I don't get it.

I've used the puigtec EQs and I have the UAD Pultec EQ. Can somebody explain to me what these are good for and why they're considered so magnificent? It's not bad, but for me it didn't live up to the hype. I would rather use the waves api or ssl. What do you guys use a pultec for?

- Spencer
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The Pultec is not a surgical tool but anything that needs more low end will benefit from the Pultec. Try running a mix through it and set the LOW FREQUENCY CPS to 30hz and set the BANDWIDTH to 7. Turn the ATTEN up to 10 and you'll hear the bottom drop out but then start dialing up the BOOST. Massive, wonderful low end without the mud. A great tool for adding some oomph!
The Pultec also has a unique signature even when it's set to flat. I always have it on my stereo buss just for flavor.
Chris "Stone" Garrett of Thievery Corporation said in a Universal Audio interview, " ...we're consistently using the Pultec® Pro EQ Plug-In across the board on all of our output channels. We actually use the Pultec Pro on every output channel, all the time. A lot of times we'll just put it on, and if the EQ needs to be tweaked, we'll tweak it a little bit, but a lot of times we'll just put it on because it makes everything sound better."
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
we have real Pultecs. when we A/B'd with the puigtec EQP1A, the bottom freqs. were sorely lacking. the Waves Neve emulation however was very close to real 1084s in the appropraite freqs. and CLA Blackie was also very close to our F rev 1176, but i didn't much care for the Puigtec.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The UAD Pultec has a nicer sound than the puigtec, but having said that I use the puigtec when I run out of dsp on the UAD card. I'm still saving my shekels for a hardware unit.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cut and boost at the same time, lows and highs ... oomph and air.
Great mid boosts for guitars and vocals, mid highs cuts for harsh chinese mics...
UAD Pultec ads 1dB volume just being inserted, watch out.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby ➡️
The UAD Pultec has a nicer sound than the puigtec, but having said that I use the puigtec when I run out of dsp on the UAD card. I'm still saving my shekels for a hardware unit.
lol. Shekels... I haven't heard that term for money for quite some time. Another we use to use is Capoosta (pronounced Cah-Poosta)... lol.

And I agree. I use the Pultec on just about everything that came in analog (vocals, acoustics, etc.) and the Bass Guitar. Just brings the track to life. Not something that is really noticiable when other instruments are mix'd, but I can clearly hear the difference on some good reference headphones, like the AKG 702 (my favorite).

That said... I am weaning myself away from the UAD plugins and finding many software ones just as good (many free). With the i5 and i7, who needs a DSP card for low track counts which is most of my stuff.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
we have real Pultecs. when we A/B'd with the puigtec EQP1A, the bottom freqs. were sorely lacking. the Waves Neve emulation however was very close to real 1084s in the appropraite freqs. and CLA Blackie was also very close to our F rev 1176, but i didn't much care for the Puigtec.
Have you tried PSPaudioware's Pultec EQ? It sounds pretty damn good for only $80.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedily ➡️
Have you tried PSPaudioware's Pultec EQ? It sounds pretty damn good for only $80.
have not sir. we have hardwarePultecs here, so no real need for the emus. with Waves Mercury/WUP those came free, that's why we A/B'd them - as i said before, we were not floored by Puigtec but have no qualms about using 'Blackie' right along our real 1176s.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I had the real thing (Pultec EQP-1A) in a few years. Felt that it did not live up to the hype. So I sold it for a small fortune and bought a bunch of preamps instead, API, Neve, etc. .. Do not regret that I sold it!

KR
Hansson
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrec.com ➡️
I had the real thing (Pultec EQP-1A) in a few years. Felt that it did not live up to the hype. So I sold it for a small fortune and bought a bunch of preamps instead, API, Neve, etc. .. Do not regret that I sold it!

KR
Hansson
FWIW i've heard Pultecs that definitely don't live up to expectations because of poor maintenance (caps, tubes, etc.), but i've never heard anyone say a Pultec in good shape doesn't live up to the 'hype'.

to each his own i guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Castell ➡️
Try running a mix through it and set the LOW FREQUENCY CPS to 30hz and set the BANDWIDTH to 7. Turn the ATTEN up to 10 and you'll hear the bottom drop out but then start dialing up the BOOST. Massive, wonderful low end without the mud. A great tool for adding some oomph!
"
I may only have the PSP plugin but this is an utter revelation!!!

Thank you very much

Ben
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Espiridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
have not sir. we have hardwarePultecs here, so no real need for the emus. with Waves Mercury/WUP those came free, that's why we A/B'd them - as i said before, we were not floored by Puigtec but have no qualms about using 'Blackie' right along our real 1176s.
If you ever want, I can bring over my Mac Mini over to your studio.
I have the NobleQ (PSP), Pulse Tec (Nomad Factory), PEQ 1A (IK), and PTC 2A (Demo mode, OverTone DSP).

Just an excuse to drop by and say hi.
Un abrazo,
Eddie (tu armoniquero)
Old 18th September 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerWalters ➡️
I've used the puigtec EQs and I have the UAD Pultec EQ. Can somebody explain to me what these are good for and why they're considered so magnificent? It's not bad, but for me it didn't live up to the hype. I would rather use the waves api or ssl. What do you guys use a pultec for?

- Spencer
Maybe its just not the sound/tone, shaping your going for. Those SSL EQ's are fine, sure, but for me, I really don't ever go for "that" sound, so the SSL "thing" is lost on me,

I much prefer the tube/eq emulations, and much prefer the real hardware to the emulations. Worth saving up for, IMHO. Though I do use these cartoons quite a bit, and have not been "unsatisfied" by them, when I can make them work_well.

peace
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's great about the Pultec style, or really any passive EQ is that you can be VERY aggressive with them without them sounding phased and unnatural. You can get some pretty complex EQ curves once you understand the relationship of the low boost and cut.
Old 17th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiridion ➡️
If you ever want, I can bring over my Mac Mini over to your studio.
I have the NobleQ (PSP), Pulse Tec (Nomad Factory), PEQ 1A (IK), and PTC 2A (Demo mode, OverTone DSP).

Just an excuse to drop by and say hi.
Un abrazo,
Eddie (tu armoniquero)
hey! you need no excuses bro! abrazo fuerte.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➡️
I may only have the PSP plugin but this is an utter revelation!!!
Ben
Problem is that the Bandwidth setting on the PSP NobleQ only applies to the peaking filter, not the low shelf where 30hz is.

That said, I like the NobelQ.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try the free SonEQ.
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➡️
What's great about the Pultec style, or really any passive EQ is that you can be VERY aggressive with them without them sounding phased and unnatural. You can get some pretty complex EQ curves once you understand the relationship of the low boost and cut.
+1. Very powerful, boost for days and it still sounds natural. High boost for vocals, mid boost for electric guitar, resonant low bump, great sounds
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

I love a touch of 10k UAD Pultec with a broad bandwidth to brighten up a mix, it sounds completely natural and makes it sparkle without harshness. Keep in mind that the UAD Pultec boosts the signal by about 1.5 db, which can be deceiving when you A/B with the dry signal. For boosting the lows I prefer the Trident, but I'm looking forward to trying the Pultec setting that David described in this thread.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Umm...

Can I say - just plug one in and you won't be wondering.

They are amazing and improve any source.

Simple really.

Not sure about the plug-ins though, don't use them as I've a pair of hardware units here in the racks
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Addict

Yea, plugs sound like plugs. But the real deal... I've only used the manley pultec, but damn does it do nice thing, put it after an la3a and drive it a bit.. Mmmm
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Acoustic Gtr
Vox
Synth
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Try running a mix through it and set the LOW FREQUENCY CPS to 30hz and set the BANDWIDTH to 7. Turn the ATTEN up to 10 and you'll hear the bottom drop out but then start dialing up the BOOST. Massive, wonderful low end without the mud. A great tool for adding some oomph!
with those settings you should be careful of the resonant dip you'll get around 100Hz (btw, bandwidth setting doesn't affect low boost/atten)

am i wrong?
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R ➡️
with those settings you should be careful of the resonant dip you'll get around 100Hz (btw, bandwidth setting doesn't affect low boost/atten)

am i wrong?
you are not, 's the idea. the bandwidth doesn't affect the low band, but the boost/ atten still works
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott003 ➡️
you are not, 's the idea. the bandwidth doesn't affect the low band, but the boost/ atten still works
i didn't say the boost/atten didn't work, i was correcting the suggestion to "set the BANDWIDTH to 7" as if it affected the low band

what i am asking is, with those settings is there not a resonant dip around 100Hz?

i think so and one should be careful of having the atten way up to 10 cuz the dip is then much steeper
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R ➡️
i didn't say the boost/atten didn't work, i was correcting the suggestion to "set the BANDWIDTH to 7" as if it affected the low band

what i am asking is, with those settings is there not a resonant dip around 100Hz?

i think so and one should be careful of having the atten way up to 10 cuz the dip is then much steeper
yep, there will be. i agree, a little extreme
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Another great option is the OverTone DSP PTC-2A! Very sweet and smooth and on sale right now for 15 Euros! You have to check it out!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Pultec is not a surgical tool but anything that needs more low end will benefit from the Pultec. Try running a mix through it and set the LOW FREQUENCY CPS to 30hz and set the BANDWIDTH to 7. Turn the ATTEN up to 10 and you'll hear the bottom drop out but then start dialing up the BOOST. Massive, wonderful low end without the mud. A great tool for adding some oomph!
The Pultec also has a unique signature even when it's set to flat. I always have it on my stereo buss just for flavor.
Chris "Stone" Garrett of Thievery Corporation said in a Universal Audio interview, " ...we're consistently using the Pultec® Pro EQ Plug-In across the board on all of our output channels. We actually use the Pultec Pro on every output channel, all the time. A lot of times we'll just put it on, and if the EQ needs to be tweaked, we'll tweak it a little bit, but a lot of times we'll just put it on because it makes everything sound better."
Thanks for the Tips, but the BANDWIDTH affects High Frequency, doesn't it?
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Addict

correct. apparently not a "real" bandwidth control, or so I've read. something about passive eq needing different values of inductors for true q adjustment
Old 21st February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi mate,

Been using the wave puigtec quiet a bit lately, pretty much on everything separately. I have just been playing around and sounding nice in my productions. But Im wondering if I should, if it is or isn't necessary to try using a surgical EQ in conjunction with the puigtec.

Im confused,
e.g bass > puigtec gives oomph and nice warm boom, but should I be then using a surgical to roll off 20-30hz to clean the mix? does it work like that or pointless? would like you say...

Same with the highs.

Thanks
📝 Reply