Pultec style EQ... I don't get it.
Old 21st February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubelo ➡️
Hi mate,

Been using the wave puigtec quiet a bit lately, pretty much on everything separately. I have just been playing around and sounding nice in my productions. But Im wondering if I should, if it is or isn't necessary to try using a surgical EQ in conjunction with the puigtec.

Im confused,
e.g bass > puigtec gives oomph and nice warm boom, but should I be then using a surgical to roll off 20-30hz to clean the mix? does it work like that or pointless? would like you say...

Same with the highs.

Thanks
Hey guys, this may be a bit OT but i'd just like to say that i declare myself a fan of Waves plug-ins (have the Mercury Bundle), but as i said above, when we A/B'd the Puigtec with several of our own hardware units (EQH-2, EQP1-A), though the high end was close, the low-end did not share the Pultec low end weight. But when we compared the V-EQ3 to our hardware Neve 1084's, it was very, very close. The SSL buss compressor was not that close to our own hardware (FX 384) and neither was the API 3 band EQ, but Waves 'Blackie' was spot on with our 1176, F rev. Long story short in my opinion some Waves plugs are not carbon copies of the hardware while others do sound very, very close. That is not to say the other Waves plugs aren't useful, they certainly are.

Haven't had the pleasure of using the UA plugs, but i've heard great things about them. Hope this helps the discussion some.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Hey guys, this may be a bit OT but i'd just like to say that i declare myself a fan of Waves plug-ins (have the Mercury Bundle), but as i said above, when we A/B'd the Puigtec with several of our own hardware units (EQH-2, EQP1-A), though the high end was close, the low end did not share the Pultec low end weight. But when we compared the V-EQ3 to our hardware Neve 1084's, it was very, very close. The SSL buss compressor was not that close to our own hardware (FX 384) and neither was the API 3 band EQ, but Waves 'Blackie' was spot on with our 1176, F rev. Long story short in my opinion some Waves plugs are not carbon copies of the hardware while others do sound very, very close. That is not to say the other Waves plugs aren't useful, they certainly are.

Haven't had the pleasure of using the UA plugs, but i've heard great things about them. Hope this helps the discussion some.

Yeah thanks mate, Im happy with the waves. I just interested to know if any of your guys use the puigtec also with a surgical type EQ plug in to cut anything out because I hear it boosts the low end, then is it also boost the mud in the low end and show should use another EQ to cut those very low( Below 30hz ) frequencies?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah thanks mate, Im happy with the waves. I just interested to know if any of your guys use the puigtec also with a surgical type EQ plug in to cut anything out because I hear it boosts the low end, then is it also boost the mud in the low end and show should use another EQ to cut those very low( Below 30hz ) frequencies?
Can't speak for others but in typical mixes we do use surgical EQs along with Pultecs. The Pultec for broad-strokes and character, and surgical EQs for carving very specific freqs. We usually track with Pultecs and use the surgical stuff come mix-time, but there are no hard and fast rules. Whatever suits your work flow and satisfies your sense of aesthetics is best. Hope this helps some.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL. Can someone tell me why a plug in sucks? I really don't get why people like a very well designed real device that i have never heard, used, or owned.

Such is life in the race to the bottom.

Maybe if gear was easier to steal everyone would have a faint clue.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do exactly this. But only if necessary and I can't seem to get it dialed in with the Pultec, alone. I use the Softube Tubetech which I prefer usually over the Puigtech.

I really like the Summit Channel EQ as well, and lately seem to be preffering it actually. Perhaps because its HP/LP filters are active? I'm not even sure but, they sure do seem to cut a lot harder.

The Softube EQs are the only ones I would ever use to boost anything. I like and use all of them.

One day I'd love to have a HW Pultec.

Often for cuts I will use a nice plug-in filter, like FilterFreak. Does the job and can add some nice saturation or distortion. Just sounds so much less boring than Pro-Q.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu ➡️
Thanks for the Tips, but the BANDWIDTH affects High Frequency, doesn't it?
yeah i think it does so im running 2 instances of Pultec to try this out - sounds sweet, great tip thanks
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Since this thread UA released mkII versions of their Pultec plugins.
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Maniac

Main uses are for boasting, or attenuating lows and highs on the bus. This image helps you see the different sections. Notice bandwidth control is for highs only, and the lows are shelving. Passive Tube eq's are smooth and natural unlike a discrete active eq tends to sound more aggressive and in your face.
Attached Thumbnails
Pultec style EQ... I don't get it.-pultec-diagram-wz.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can't speak for others but in typical mixes we do use surgical EQs along with Pultecs. The Pultec for broad-strokes and character, and surgical EQs for carving very specific freqs. We usually track with Pultecs and use the surgical stuff come mix-time, but there are no hard and fast rules. Whatever suits your work flow and satisfies your sense of aesthetics is best. Hope this helps some.
Great information thanks, this was all a bit of mystery before all I know it started to sound good after a while.

Is helps to know you use surgical type EQ aswell. I've found using Fabfilter Pro-Q first and the adding the puigtec adds some nice flavour I see it as a bit of an exciter I guess. Would be great to know if there are anyone other nice tricks to this type of stuff
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference in quality between the Ignite Amps Pteq 1-A and, say, the Overtone DSP PTC 2-A.

Basically, what am I missing out on just using this free plugin vs another plug?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can somebody explain why there's a similarity between Pultec and Tube Tech EQs ?

They look pretty much the same. (no idea about the sound)
Old 29th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by planck ➡️
Can somebody explain why there's a similarity between Pultec and Tube Tech EQs ?

They look pretty much the same. (no idea about the sound)
I believe Tubetch makes a Pultec clone.
Old 16th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Castell ➡️
The Pultec is not a surgical tool but anything that needs more low end will benefit from the Pultec. Try running a mix through it and set the LOW FREQUENCY CPS to 30hz and set the BANDWIDTH to 7. Turn the ATTEN up to 10 and you'll hear the bottom drop out but then start dialing up the BOOST. Massive, wonderful low end without the mud. A great tool for adding some oomph!
The Pultec also has a unique signature even when it's set to flat. I always have it on my stereo buss just for flavor.
Chris "Stone" Garrett of Thievery Corporation said in a Universal Audio interview, " ...we're consistently using the Pultec® Pro EQ Plug-In across the board on all of our output channels. We actually use the Pultec Pro on every output channel, all the time. A lot of times we'll just put it on, and if the EQ needs to be tweaked, we'll tweak it a little bit, but a lot of times we'll just put it on because it makes everything sound better."

I know this is an old post, but I just tried it and it worked so awesomely that I had to give it a bump. I was digging through threads to try and see how to clear some mud out of the lows and this did exactly that.

Already had the puigtec on the master anyway so I saved like 3 mouse clicks on top of it!
Old 6th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrec.com ➡️
I had the real thing (Pultec EQP-1A) in a few years. Felt that it did not live up to the hype. So I sold it for a small fortune and bought a bunch of preamps instead, API, Neve, etc. .. Do not regret that I sold it!
I had a mint pair of Pultec EQP-1A3s that were bought in the 60s and lived in the same rack for 40 years, until I bought them. They were amazing. Owned them for probably a dozen years. Had to sell them after the divorce. I still miss them.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The free SonEQ is a steal!
Old 10th September 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu ➡️
Thanks for the Tips, but the BANDWIDTH affects High Frequency, doesn't it?
Correct! The bandwidth control adds series resistance to the resonant LC circuit used for high frequency peak boost. It does not affect the low frequency shelf boost or attenuate circuits.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejackson ➡️
Correct! The bandwidth control adds series resistance to the resonant LC circuit used for high frequency peak boost. It does not affect the low frequency shelf boost or attenuate circuits.
A quick thank you for making a piece of gear I can only dream about. Amazing dedication to bring it back to us all....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
A quick thank you for making a piece of gear I can only dream about. Amazing dedication to bring it back to us all....
Thanks! The pleasure is all mine.
Old 26th March 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
we have real Pultecs. when we A/B'd with the puigtec EQP1A, the bottom freqs. were sorely lacking. the Waves Neve emulation however was very close to real 1084s in the appropraite freqs. and CLA Blackie was also very close to our F rev 1176, but i didn't much care for the Puigtec.
Could you please A/B the new Rule Tec plugin against your Pultecs? I know this thread is old, but it would be very nice to hear what you have to say about this particular plugin. People keep raving that this is the first plugin emulation they've heard that actually sounds like an old Pultec.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just tried the NoiseAsh emulation and liking it very much. I do reference mixes and then hire guys that have the real thing to mix. There is a difference. Plug ins will get you in the ballpark, and a very nice one if you know how to use them properly. A real Pultec is iconic for a reason however and gives you that something extra.....
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When I first used the UAD pultec, it was because it came with the UAD card I bought. I had no idea about the hype, and hadn't really heard o the Pultec before that...fell in love with it after putting it on the mix bus, hasn't left the mix bus in years. Nothing really does what the pultec does...
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I use it on my Kick Drum Buss.
CPS @60, Boost @5, Attenuate @6... Leave everything else flat.

See how your kicks sound now. Thank me later.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Although I use a lot of the puigchild lately, they really didn't get the low end quite right. The first time I reached for the boost/atten on the bottom end of the plugin, I was disappointed that it didn't do the same trick as my eqp-1a's.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any Logic users try the new stock Tube EQ? I'm pretty sure it's a convolution EQ since there's a slight pause when changing settings.
It sounds great on bass and won out over the Puigtech. Acustica Purple is great too but can choke my rig sometimes when there's a ton going on already.
Old 3rd April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCaplin ➡️
Could you please A/B the new Rule Tec plugin against your Pultecs? I know this thread is old, but it would be very nice to hear what you have to say about this particular plugin. People keep raving that this is the first plugin emulation they've heard that actually sounds like an old Pultec.
The irony here is that “technically” the RuleTec is the “worst” pultec emulation I’ve ever tested...
Obviously those people never used/heard a real one (or they are deaf)

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 3rd April 2019 at 10:21 AM..
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a question.

So I've just purchased the Creme by Tegeler which has the Pultec inspired style EQ but only Boosting so you cant do the cut and boost trick.

Im also thinking of getting silver Bullet which again has a sort inspired by Pultec EQ but has cut and boost but not both.

If you boosted at 30HZ with say the creme and cut at 60HZ with the silver bullet would you get a similar effect or are the bands closer in a pultec when cutting and boosting at the same time ?

Just curious, although it would be a limited way of doing it if it would be similar.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➡️
...would you get a similar effect or are the bands closer in a pultec when cutting and boosting at the same time ?
It's not only about the bands, phase is a big deal to.
I'm guessing two separate pieces of gear won't get you there.
Old 3rd April 2019
Deleted 04d60e1
A very general way to think about it is that dip will be at x10 higher than what the shelf is set at.

Doing the pultec trick at 100hz puts the dip around 1000hz. Boosting 30hz, you'll want to reduce around the 300hz area
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys, thought that was the case but thought I’d ask. That wasn’t even taking into account the toobs either.

I guess want a Pultec- buy a Pultec init
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick ➡️
A very general way to think about it is that dip will be at x10 higher than what the shelf is set at.

Doing the pultec trick at 100hz puts the dip around 1000hz. Boosting 30hz, you'll want to reduce around the 300hz area
where did you get this information?
any plots/graphs to share?
thanks
📝 Reply