The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance Brainworx BX_Townhouse compressor
Old 14th May 2019
Plugin Alliance Brainworx BX_Townhouse compressor

I thought I’d start a thread about this one because strangely there isn’t one, and it doesn’t even come up in the GS gear bot. I’ve been using it for a couple of months and I find it useful, though it wasn’t exactly love at first sight. For an SSL inspired compressor, it’s on the warm side - seems to emphasise the mids/ low mids rather than having that crisp, focussed, dry sound I would expect.
That doesn’t mean it’s bad in any way, it was modelled after a one of a kind unit so it has no pretence to nail that exact character.
I’ve compared it to the UAD SSL comp and the UAD is hands down closer to “that” sound, but I find that the Townhouse works well too on the right material, once you get to know it.
On busy mixes I prefer the UAD by a mile as it helps to unclutter and tighten, whereas the Townhouse does not. It works, for me, much better on sparse arrangements with more air between the instruments, where it does impart a good sounding and characterful heft.
Some people have complained about the tiny controls and I see where they’re coming from, though personally it doesn’t bother me as much. Brainworx say that amongst their numbers it’s one that they feel particularly proud of - I’d be interested in opinions about it, as it seems to somehow have passed under the radar for a plugin from one of the “big” makers.

Last edited by microwave; 15th May 2019 at 12:13 AM..
Old 14th May 2019 | Show parent
Deleted 54cf535
Quote:
Originally Posted by hato74 ➡️
Nice comp but too much aliasing for me.
Old 14th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hato74 ➡️
Nice comp but too much aliasing for me.
Aliasing Police comes to rescue us.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It’s darker and more dense, with a hint of a vintage vibe, but it does also have quite a few traits in common with it’s more common G brethren. There’s a place for it in a mix, but quite possibly not on everything or across a whole mix.

I’d use it on drums or bass, or as a parallel compressor, or a thing that might benefit from it’s vibe.

It’s not really fair to compare it to the UAD plugin though, as it isn’t even the same compressor. It was a precursor to the G, but it isn’t actually one itself. It’s older, grittier, denser, so of course there is going to be quite a bit of difference wth your comparisons. It doesn’t make it and compressor though. You just need to use it in the right application.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Use it on just about every mix. Love the thump and low-mid push. I think the effect it has an stereo imaging is great as well.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I use it in my master chain when I'm doing more pop or RnB type of tracks. It has a bright sound to it. Makes the mix sound more beautiful and bright.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Guru

I’m surprised you didn’t find it in the search box... it was the rage for awhile lol

I love it... very “vintage” “warm” “analog” and all that love it
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love it too. I use it on the mix buss in every mix now, mixing into it from the start (and checking the threshold occasionally as I adjust balances, to maintain 2 - 4 db of reduction). I definitely prefer it to the Waves SSL buss comp which I was using before, and to CLA MixDown, which I was also using for mix buss compression duties.

I've started using it elsewhere in the mix as well, particularly as a vocal limiter.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This compressor is on my wishlist ! I am waiting for those PA deals to snap it and work with it
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It's on sale right now... I'm trying to find $29
Old 22nd June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 ➡️

I've started using it elsewhere in the mix as well, particularly as a vocal limiter.
Why do you prefer bx_townhouse instead of a brickwall limiter?
Old 22nd June 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
BX Townhouse is spectacular for putting a fat and punchy sonic injection into heavy bass guitar driven rock music. If you're going for more of a "Tool" vibe then do yourself a favor and slap this on the 2Buss. It works.
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I just got it, like it a lot on the first thing I did.

I replaced VSC-2 which was too clean for the track I was working on.

Townhouse has this nice almost tape-like grime on it and it's punchy in the bass, wide sounding.

Just getting started but I like a lot of the brainworx compressors, so it was an easy buy for $29
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think there is any particular reason to prefer it to a Brickwall limiter. I just tried it and got a nice, smooth sound.
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I snapped it for 29$ !!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You can use the $20.00 voucher sent today in addition to the $29.00 sale price, picked it up for $9.00.
Old 28th June 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Do you know if you can use the voucher more than once by doing 2 different purchases?
Old 28th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwella ➡️
Do you know if you can use the voucher more than once by doing 2 different purchases?
You can’t
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I bought the BAX EQ instead but this thread is making me think twice!.... It was this or the ACME in comp land. I have so many plugs was going for finesse which is great BTW.... You guys are killing me!.....
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Head
I was debating on the voucher too! For $9 you can't really beat it...unless you have a plethora of SSL G comp (ish) plugins. It was hit or miss for me when I demoed it. My ears weren't "impressed" with the way it made my tracks feel.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
OK voucher came back and got it. I'm glad I did! Great on the 2Buss. It has a great sound and seems a staple....
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Head

Just wonder if anything from Slate can do the same trick or similar sound of BX Townhouse.
Old 5th July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopsample ➡️
Just wonder if anything from Slate can do the same trick or similar sound of BX Townhouse.
Maybe using the VTM after the VBC?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Maybe using the VTM after the VBC?
Good suggestion, but VTM is a tape machine and what about compression?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good suggestion, but VTM is a tape machine and what about compression?
VBC is the Bus Compressor.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Use tape for what it’d do. You’d be tracking and mixing down on tape
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have you guys been catching their new emails(press releases?!? New Focusrite strip, Shadow Hills, Purple compressor, an Ampeg bass amp, plus the announcement of more amps to come. These guys are totally off the hook right now. My biggest complaint is no mid-side implementations as part of the “improved” version.

I do wonder how they got out of their exclusive UAD contract. Expired perhaps?? It’s been a while, possibly 10 years.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
... and today it's Pro Audio DSP DSM V3, with more to come this month...
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I quite like townhouse. But now that I have novatron, townhouse tends to get replaced a lot (though not on the mix bus).
Old 12th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

No..... Even as a plug-in I find that the townhouse compressor has its own unique sound, Thats what makes it so good.
📝 Reply