Quantcast
A-Design's Ventura- anyone using it? What's the word? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A-Design's Ventura- anyone using it? What's the word?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A-Design's Ventura- anyone using it? What's the word?

I'm wondering if anyone is using the new Ventura and how it sounds. Any comparisons? I think I read it was modeled after an older Calrec model?

If anyone has any first-hand use and thoughts- I'd love to hear.

I thought the cross-over points of the EQ looked very well thought out- especially in the low-mids.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So no one has used one of these? Huh- that's too bad.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the original 3001 which is very good. The Ventura is the same unit with a new name and new faceplate. The EQ is quite possibly my favorite EQ. It never fails. Mic pre is also top notch. It can be clean or aggressive depending on how you push it. The DI is SUPER nice. Great piece all around. Do a search for the JM-3001 and you'll find some reviews.
Old 13th September 2012

🎧 15 years
I don't own it but used it a few times and it was amazing. So open and alive, the eq is killer.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory ➑️
...I think I read it was modeled after an older Calrec model?
Actually, it's modeled after the Quad Eight VENTURA, the new channel strip modeled after the Calrec is the Mercury Grand PrEQ15s http://www.mercuryrecordingequipment...grand-preq15s/
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➑️
Actually, it's modeled after the Quad Eight VENTURA, the new channel strip modeled after the Calrec is the Mercury Grand PrEQ15s Mercury Recording Equipment Company: Grand PreQ15s
Ahhh- yes you are correct! That's why I'm so interested!

Thanks guys-
Old 16th October 2012
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory ➑️
I'm wondering if anyone is using the new Ventura and how it sounds. Any comparisons? I think I read it was modeled after an older Calrec model?

If anyone has any first-hand use and thoughts- I'd love to hear.

I thought the cross-over points of the EQ looked very well thought out- especially in the low-mids.

Thanks in advance.
I have one and absolutely love it!
the instrument amp alone is killer! i want the EQ in the 500 format, big thumbs up: )
if you want to here it check out Shelea's new album. it is all over it ShelΓ©a and Shelea | Facebook
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks pan man!
Old 16th October 2012
mml
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Have one at the studio I work out of. It's amazing. Bass di is the best, and crank the 600hz and it still sounds completely natural on bass. Lots of detail on hand, and the high pass is really nice and gentle. The eq just rules. Great for most anything.
Old 16th October 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mml ➑️
Have one at the studio I work out of. It's amazing. Bass di is the best, and crank the 600hz and it still sounds completely natural on bass. Lots of detail on hand, and the high pass is really nice and gentle. The eq just rules. Great for most anything.
not really a DI it is a instrument amplifier: )~
Very cool!
i think that is why it works so nice: )
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
bump from the dead!! lookin' at this for bass mostly. any additional input/feedback/user history is much appreciated. thanks
Old 8th September 2013
mml
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
To reiterate, this thing absolutely kills on bass. The DI is amazing, or you can run a DI into the mic channel. The midrange EQ on this thing is just supernatural. 12 db of 600 hz? Sure, make it growl and it doesn't sound weird. Reggae subs? No problem and it stays super-tight all the way down. Love it.
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thanks for that!
Old 8th September 2013

🎧 15 years
We had one at the studio for a couple of weeks, I thought it was fantastic. The eq was powerful and musical. And built like a tank.
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm constantly impressed by everything he makes, truly. I honestly think A-Designs is up there with the all-time greats (not to mention the man himself is just good peeps all around! )

REDDI, Hammer, Pacifica, you name it and it's fantastic.

-Andrews
Old 8th September 2013
mml
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The other piece I would seriously consider in this price range for bass (used) would be a Manley vox box. Also great eq and you get an opto limiter in the deal as well. Finished tracks just pour out of that thing. And of course it's great for vox too. Imagine that! I have both in the studio and it really just a coin toss of which to use. Two different flavors. The Ventura of course is faster and the vb has more tube goodness if you drive it hard. Tough call.
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thanks again for the posts. so Avalon 737 or Ventura ? Ventura? again, mostly for bass...thanks again
Old 8th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c ➑️
thanks again for the posts. so Avalon 737 or Ventura ? Ventura? again, mostly for bass...thanks again
Let's put it this way. If you look around you'll see a lot of Avalon units for sale on the used market. You don't see that many A Designs pieces. The Ventura is an amazing piece of gear, but you should also consider a REDDI and a Pacifica if you are looking for a chain that provides a lot of "vibe" and don't need EQ.

Having a Ventura is great as a nice channel strip. Big open sound and a great EQ all in 1U.

Having a REDDI (or two) and a Pacifica gives you the best DI on the planet that you can use in the studio and in live situations, along with one of the best dual channel preamps on the market.

Either way you're going to be very happy and A Designs is one of the finest companies in the business, backed by one of the most caring individuals I've ever had the pleasure of calling a friend.
Old 8th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
Let's put it this way. If you look around you'll see a lot of Avalon units for sale on the used market. You don't see that many A Designs pieces. The Ventura is an amazing piece of gear, but you should also consider a REDDI and a Pacifica if you are looking for a chain that provides a lot of "vibe" and don't need EQ.

Having a Ventura is great as a nice channel strip. Big open sound and a great EQ all in 1U.

Having a REDDI (or two) and a Pacifica gives you the best DI on the planet that you can use in the studio and in live situations, along with one of the best dual channel preamps on the market.

Either way you're going to be very happy and A Designs is one of the finest companies in the business, backed by one of the most caring individuals I've ever had the pleasure of calling a friend.

Here here. I can personally vouch for that VERY pairing AND for the Peter Montassi sentiment (one heck of a good guy!)

-Andrews
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thanks fellas. gonna grab it for a test drive this week
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just used one last weekend to record acoustic guitar and vocals. Outstanding piece.....

The mic pre by itself with the low shelf engaged was perfect without any other EQ. Acoustic guitar with a pickup required a bit of narrow cutting in the mids and a touch of boost on the bottom end, which I was able to dial in almost instantly.

dB
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You won't go wrong either way. I truly love my Avalon for bass. I use the DI with no EQ or compression. With my fender precision bass, it is nearly perfect. It's round and warm, and it sits right where it needs to be in the mix. It just works. The avalon will always be my go to unit for tracking bass. Best of luck with your purchase.
Old 9th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️

Honestly, as much as I think A-Designs is a great company, I think you see a lot of Avalons for sale because many people who don't understand what a deep unit that is buying it since it's a considered to be a "hip hop and RNB classic". The truth is Babyface had them because they were well thought out strips with all the bells and whistles back in the day, and they were affordable. That popularized them, and then fairly...they were used on tons of hit records over the years.

The 737 is a pretty deep unit. It's not the best preamp for everything, but the EQ and the compressor are both pretty darn great for the money. I'm sure that you feel that the overall A-Designs sound unit to unit is more your style Kitonian, but to be fair to Avalon, a lot of people who wouldn't know what half of the buttons are on the Avalon bought one. It's got hard bypass switches on every section for A/B comparisons, EQ before compression switching, four compression controls on a decent Opto design, sidechaining function on it's EQ which link to the compressor...Hi-Z DI...and the ability to plug in after the preamp and use the rest of the strip.

I don't own a 737 (Though I've used them many times over the years) ...and it's not my favorite piece of kit, maybe I'd clearly prefer the Ventura if I tried it by comparison (It's possible since I loved the EM2-EQ.) But I think the biggest issue with the Avalon is that it's clearly for pros who understand it's features, it's not an idiot proof box...and since there's tons of units that the pros like which compete with all the different features on a 737...the pros tend to gravitate towards boxes that do one thing really well most of the time instead twenty years later. Currently there are more great boutique units which are also more affordable than ever in a lot of ways available now, most of which didn't exist when the Avalon came out, following in their footsteps. Now kids who just want to make music won't get the subtleties of this thing at a glance, making stuff with simplifier controls is always a better choice by default in those cases! The pro engineer community who was making hip hop, RNB, and pop with the Avalon in the 90's and early 2000's liked the piece because it was cost effective and fully featured, on the cleaner side so it plays well with other, etc. Even more modern classic pop like Imogen Heap's Hide And Seek were cut with one since it's always been affordable! (Though in Imogen Heaps case she was singing through a TLM 103 as the vocal mic that time, and I HATE that friggin' mic so go figure!) I think the Avalon IS the modern classic people tout it to be in a lot of respects, but to me it's kind of the SM7b of the channel strip world. On some things it's perfect...the rest of the time you probably want something more focused in one direction or another. (Lastly I will note that I think the Mercenary Edition Fletcher had made without the expensive knobs is the better way to go if you want one but whatever.)

Carry on about the Ventura though, it looks great.
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
well it's a GO!! and again i appreciate the feedback. love the flexibility the EQ brings. the pre seems very transparent...at least for bass via the DI...character of my basses shines thru. haven't tested any vocals tho nor record my bass yet. but my biggest attraction has been the Q bands and how they REALLY let you shape your sound to another level beyond just the EQ!!! got a few more days with it but i think this one needs to stay with papa!!!
Old 27th September 2013 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
well it's a GO!! and again i appreciate the feedback. love the flexibility the EQ brings. the pre seems very transparent...at least for bass via the DI...character of my basses shines thru. haven't tested any vocals tho nor record my bass yet. but my biggest attraction has been the Q bands and how they REALLY let you shape your sound to another level beyond just the EQ!!! got a few more days with it but i think this one needs to stay with papa!!!
just a smokin cool unit isn't it: )
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I finally got a chance to track bass through the front panel DI yesterday. Took me all of about fifteen seconds to get the sound I was looking for....and I think I probably used the EQ just because I could - I probably could have tracked without using any at all.

Man, this thing sounds good.

dB
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
another very cool thing is one can track with EQ and without EQ at the same time. i typically track my bass on 2 tracks. with this unit i'll probably use 4 tracks...2 trax with EQ...2 trax of no EQ (usin' the multi out). that way i can pick and choose what i really want in a session as i mix. seriously flexible!! really diggin' it too!!!
Old 27th September 2013 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce ➑️
I finally got a chance to track bass through the front panel DI yesterday. Took me all of about fifteen seconds to get the sound I was looking for....and I think I probably used the EQ just because I could - I probably could have tracked without using any at all.

Man, this thing sounds good.

dB
Actually that is NOT, a DI, but a true amp!
And a very nice sounding one to boot!
Old 28th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
Actually that is NOT, a DI, but a true amp!
And a very nice sounding one to boot!
A Designs calls the instrument input a DI....

From the Ventura page on the A Designs web site:
Quote:
"The instrument DI is separate from the mic pre. It is a single-stage, single-ended, high-impedance preamp that also sports the C12X transistor. Designed specifically to counteract the undesirable effects of guitar/bass-pickup loading, it is accessed via a front-panel 1/4” jack and gain pot."
No big deal either way, obviously - we're just playing semantics over what exactly is and isn't a DI...what's important is that we definitely agree that it's nice sounding!!!

dB
Old 28th September 2013 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce ➑️
A Designs calls the instrument input a DI....

From the Ventura page on the A Designs web site:

No big deal either way, obviously - we're just playing semantics over what exactly is and isn't a DI...what's important is that we definitely agree that it's nice sounding!!!

dB
look at the quote
Quote:
"The instrument DI is separate from the mic pre. It is a single-stage, single-ended, high-impedance preamp that also sports the C12X transistor. Designed specifically to counteract the undesirable effects of guitar/bass-pickup loading, it is accessed via a front-panel 1/4” jack and gain pot."
I guess you can call anything a DI as it is a direct input, but it is not a DI in the same way other units offer a DI.
I would bet the term DI was used as not to cause confusion?
It is as sated a preamp and a very nice one at that!
While try to get an article worked up with the designer, I was specifically scolded and schooled, when I referred to it as a DI, LOL I was told it was not a DI but an instrument amp.
πŸ“ Reply