The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audeze LCD-X
Old 30th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Audeze LCD-X

These look like they might be very high quality?

They look like they could be heavy. But I don't have to have them on all day.
Old 1st July 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent ➡️

I never tried them.. they are probably pretty good, although they seem to have some dips..
But there are several correction sw options out there, sonarworks, canopener and probably others too.

I use the Shure SRH 1840 and they’re quite flat, and they translate quite well for an headphone..they might not be “perfect”, but no headphone really is.. and mixing with them is quite easy.. no surprises when you listen to regular monitors.
I’d seriously take a look at them too..

I know there are other GS members that use the lcd-x with good results..

Cheu
Old 1st July 2021
Gear Maniac

I have them with sonarworks and find them great to listen on and produce on when working away….don’t particularly have a thick strong neck and I get on with them just fine.

Wouldn’t use them without sonarworks though.

Also I get ear fatigue quite quickly on normal cans, but can use these for hours with no issues

Last edited by Aka_bob; 1st July 2021 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Added comment
Old 1st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Check this detailed review with measurements. According to it, they need EQ: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.16777/
Old 1st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I love how these sound. They are great for evaluating bass -> lowmids and generally are just wonderful to listen through.

I don't find them heavy. I do think the head strap could be a better fit and I have a pretty large head (7-3/4 hat size.) Anyway, keep them in the case and all the screw tights, and they perform great.
Old 1st July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you for your reply.

It's good to know they are good for checking bass. That is a very tricky part to get right in terms of how loud it should be. I don't want too much bass. So if there is a lot of bass there, I want the headphones to let me know that.
Old 1st July 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just bought them! I love them. I haven't done any high hour, heavy lifting yet, but I love the sound. I have the LCD-XC.
Old 2nd July 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
And I'll just add this. I have the Sennheiser HD 650. That's what I use. When I friend brought over his LCD-X I was blown away. I don't know what that reviewer was on but the difference is not small. Sometimes people use graphs and numbers rather than ears because they feel ears can be dishonest but numbers don't lie. Well if your ears are so bad you need numbers to hear I think you need to go into a different line of work.
Old 2nd July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
And I'll just add this. I have the Sennheiser HD 650. That's what I use. When I friend brought over his LCD-X I was blown away. I don't know what that reviewer was on but the difference is not small. Sometimes people use graphs and numbers rather than ears because they feel ears can be dishonest but numbers don't lie. Well if your ears are so bad you need numbers to hear I think you need to go into a different line of work.
My LCD-X replaced my 650s. Difference and improvement was not subtle. And my ears are pretty much shyte.

Henry do you run yours of the ULN8 or a separate HP amp? I found the ULN2 was not a very good match, but when I switch to the ULN8 there was a lot more detail and headroom. I'm sure there's a reason for that.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➡️
My LCD-X replaced my 650s. Difference and improvement was not subtle. And my ears are pretty much shyte.

Henry do you run yours of the ULN8 or a separate HP amp? I found the ULN2 was not a very good match, but when I switch to the ULN8 there was a lot more detail and headroom. I'm sure there's a reason for that.
Thank you. I've only tried it with the ULN-8.
Old 2nd July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are the Audeze headphones good at telling you subtle things about the low-mids and the bass?

Even though I don't want a lot of bass in my mixes, I like to do subtle detail work in the bass/lower midrange. If these headphones can provide a sort of x-ray vision on the bass, that would be valuable.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Are the Audeze headphones good at telling you subtle things about the low-mids and the bass?

Even though I don't want a lot of bass in my mixes, I like to do subtle detail work in the bass/lower midrange. If these headphones can provide a sort of x-ray vision on the bass, that would be valuable.
I think so. I just got them this week, so I haven’t had a lot of time with them.
Old 3rd July 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have them and the LCD-XC. Great headphones. I’ve since moved onto the Rosson Audio RAD-0 now which are slightly better sounding to my ears though not as wide. Made by one of the founders of Audeze so they have similar DNA. I had a custom pair made at their LA factory. They’re great guys, definitely worth checking out
Old 4th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I just bought them! I love them. I haven't done any high hour, heavy lifting yet, but I love the sound. I have the LCD-XC.
Just got a pair and I concur love the sound. They simply are the “bees knees “. They might be the best I’ve ever owned.
Old 10th July 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel ➡️
Check this detailed review with measurements. According to it, they need EQ: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.16777/
FYI, it turns out these measurements are for an older pair of LCD-Xs, so please don't take it as accurate for the Nov 2020 versions or later. Because it's not. And the target curves we use in Roon and our Reveal+ app have been revised for the later LCD-X and XC versions.
Old 10th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeze ➡️
FYI, it turns out these measurements are for an older pair of LCD-Xs, so please don't take it as accurate for the Nov 2020 versions or later. Because it's not. And the target curves we use in Roon and our Reveal+ app have been revised for the later LCD-X and XC versions.
Thanks for the update. I see that Amir said, (nearly two months ago), "Company sent me the new ones which I will measure soon." Great.
Old 13th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am totally in love with my 2021 LCDXs. Life-changing purchase. Now able to confidently do a lot of mobile work. Very happy.

- c
Old 13th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Came from Sennheiser 650 to LCD-X's, I LOVE EM!
Old 17th August 2021
Gear Maniac

You should all try the sonarworks demo and download the lcd x calibration profile…….you can run them completely flat or anywhere in between the x’s original profile and a flat response……I use it around 50-70% depending on the song.

I produce about about 30% then master at 100%

Trust me guys, try the demo, thank me later
Old 3rd October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
According to the new review here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...adphone.25271/ the LCD-x 2021 still need eq corrections. Honestly I don't understand to point.
Headphones should sound at their best out of the box especially at this price tag.
The manufacturers shouldn't let pass such shortcomings in the frequency response or at least should give the tools to adjust it right in the headphones.
If we can Eq them to get the most out why the manufacturer can't, why letting out a product that can obviously sound better with a simple equalisation?
Old 3rd October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver ➡️
According to the new review here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...adphone.25271/ the LCD-x 2021 still need eq corrections. Honestly I don't understand to point.
Headphones should sound at their best out of the box especially at this price tag.
The manufacturers shouldn't let pass such shortcomings in the frequency response or at least should give the tools to adjust it right in the headphones.
If we can Eq them to get the most out why the manufacturer can't, why letting out a product that can obviously sound better with a simple equalisation?
Headphones just can't sound as good as speakers considering their physical limitations so they have to make these tradeoffs.
Old 3rd October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver ➡️
So you think the headphones should have onboard DSP processing?

maybe they design them for the best response possible given the price point, constraints of materials, time and manufacturing and are offering a way to take them one step further then is possible within the physical limits.

Don’t know. My older ones sound fantastic with out EQ.
Old 5th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➡️
So you think the headphones should have onboard DSP processing?

maybe they design them for the best response possible given the price point, constraints of materials, time and manufacturing and are offering a way to take them one step further then is possible within the physical limits.

Don’t know. My older ones sound fantastic with out EQ.
The EQ doesn't need to be digital. And it doesn't always need to be electronic, it could be in the mechanical design.

Unlike speakers, modern headphones are probably shooting for a Harman curve or similar, not flat. Most likely the adjustments are pretty broad, maybe boost broadly in the upper mids, maybe broadly more or less bass, etc.

Just wanted to point out that it doesn't need to be DSP
Old 5th October 2021

🎧 5 years
Headphones have never been flat, and the idea of taking a parametric EQ to correct them is very recent, and not entirely without tradeoffs.
Old 5th October 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think these are great headphones. But anyone who is using only phones to mix is headed for trouble, not that it hasn't been done successfully. But a single source for monitoring is nuts as far as I'm concerned. I have very good multiple monitoring choices. Audeze and Sennheiser HD 650 are just my phone references.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 5th October 2021 at 07:54 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC ➡️
Headphones have never been flat, and the idea of taking a parametric EQ to correct them is very recent, and not entirely without tradeoffs.
What is the tradeoff to EQ headphones? Phase misalignment?

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeswolfenstein ➡️
Yeah. Phase shifts around each band (or transient loss with linear phase) and some loss of audio quality. That might not matter monitoring if you need a flat-ish FR, but it isn't particularly benign to audio quality in general, monitoring through a processor.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeswolfenstein ➡️
In a nutshell, if you take a flat speaker and put it in a room, what reaches our ears is not a flat frequency response—the sound is considerably more midrangey, for instance. So, flat response headphones would sound deficient in the low end, and too bright up top.

Headphones aren't flat, but the more modern thinking is to not just make a new set of headphones and ask, "does this sound good", but to aim for a known response that's been deemed "good".

Of course, if the response is known, EQ can be added at playback to compensate. But much nicer if the headphones sound like you want them to sound.

A Deep Dive Into Harman Curves – The Long Way Round (Part 1)
Old 25th October 2021 | Show parent
iFi audio

Quote:
I'm laughing. I like your last sentence about ears vs. numbers. I got to try the LCD-X's with a buddy and my gosh...I felt the difference too. The clarity was insane but it wasn't harsh after a few songs with lots of high end.
Old 25th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio ➡️
I'm laughing. I like your last sentence about ears vs. numbers. I got to try the LCD-X's with a buddy and my gosh...I felt the difference too. The clarity was insane but it wasn't harsh after a few songs with lots of high end.
not sure the version I have, and let me tell you, I can wear the lcd x's all day long, no ear fatigue.......not sure where this harshness is coming from that other people experience......I found ribbons, although not the ax Adam series, work for me over normal tweeters, and planers work for me over traditional headphones.....maybe its our ear shape that defines what works for us. but I agree with you, the clarity on the LCD-x's are a joy to behold for me
📝 Reply