Prophet 12 vs. Prophet 6 Sequencial - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 12 vs. Prophet 6 Sequencial
Old 23rd January 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Prophet 12 vs. Prophet 6 Sequencial

Hey guys..

some weeks ago i bought the DSI prophet 12 .

bad luck like 2 weeks later, the pro 2 came out , and now the 6 was showed at NAMM.

what are your thoughts about the 3. i mean is there anything to regret about my new synth ?

have a good week guys
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You need all 3. Best start saving for the P6 and Pro 2.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The P12 isn't going to do anything different based on the existence of the Pro2 or P'06. And they are all different synths with different feature-sets. You must have liked the sound and features of the P12 enough to buy one, so what has changed?
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonracine ➑️
Hey guys..

bad luck like 2 weeks later, the pro 2 came out , and now the 6 was showed at NAMM.

what are your thoughts about the 3. i mean is there anything to regret about my new synth ?

have a good week guys
sounds like good luck to me. i have a P8, P12 and Pro2 and will prob get a P6, even though my room will end up looking like a DS showroom

All DS products are unique in their own way, no nothing to regret
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I bought a Pro 2 a couple weeks ago. I love the damn thing.

Only you can determine if you have any regrets about buying a Prophet 12.

Don't be a victim of product overload.
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You need all 3
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have a Virus TI, therefore I do not believe I need a Prophet 12, nice though it is. Having said that I would really like to get the new Prophet 6, a simple dual VCO 6 voice polyphonic synth. Old school synth with new possibilities.

It's apples v oranges! Do you feel you need one to add to your arsenal??
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

They're 3 different synths with their own personalities and features.

I don't understand how a company releasing a new product makes the (barely) older one obsolete. Be happy with what you've got and make music. You have a Prophet 12. It's a 12-voice synth! And a great one!
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nobody knows anything yet until it's actually released.

Wait for that day, and in the meantime, enjoy your '12.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
you should also get the Prophet 8; it just won't feel complete otherwise. 31 voices ftw
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And you also need a PEK and a Tempest.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You need them all! I do too! We all do! I'm selling my neighbours!
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You will make inferior music now.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
have you already learned it inside out so you can program virtually any sound with it?
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My advice. Know what you want and what you will miss when buying. It's alot of money. Problem all gearslutz have is that, once you have something, you will want something else later. Meaning, if you bought the Sequencial prophet 6 or the pro 2 first, you would probably want a Prophet 12 or Prophet 08 and sell your current one to afford it. Don't go into that circle. Keep it, save money and once you haved saved up enough money, then see if you still want to get the pro-6.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have the P12 and certainly won't be selling mine. And I'm buying the P6 as soon as it's available. Different synths, different sounds, different experiences.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All 3 really different instruments for different purposes. For example if you use the modulation capabilities of the P12...a P6 may seem quite limiting. And a P2 is mono with a nice sequencer and different filters...etc... I don't think one really replaces the other. I would like a P6 NEXT TO my P2, but certainly not instead of. My 2 cents. All depends on what you want/need to get where you want to go.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd prefer tbe 6 as I like quick and easy programming. If you prefer synths with loads of extra modulation stick with the 12
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The P12 remains relevant. It's a unique synth and the most complex beast among any other DSI, and the modulation king.
There's no bad luck. You're actually lucky to own it.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sell P12 and buy P6.
Sorry, life is too short.
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
ill be keeping my pro 2 and most likely replacing my sub37 with the prophet 6
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Honestly, I feel digital through analog sounds like ****, if I'm gonna go digital I rather go all digital like the virus or nord, but if I go analog, I want an all analog synth including the oscillators or at least a hybrid like the Poly Evolver.
Old 23rd January 2015 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➑️
I'd prefer tbe 6 as I like quick and easy programming. If you prefer synths with loads of extra modulation stick with the 12
Taking into account the "limited" amount of parameters with the P6, the P12 can be as quick since all is there on the interface.
Old 23rd January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
Sell P12 and buy P6.
Sorry, life is too short.
Too short for what? For owning two or three synths at the same time?
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Enjoy your new synth!!!! Forget the P6 for now.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you disappointed in the P-12's sound? Are you afraid you're missing out on some of that original Prophet-5 mojo?

First off, how much time have you spent with the P-12? You have to spend quality time with a synth. You have to do more than play presets. Tweak it. Change those waveforms. Tune those oscillators. Dig into an INIT patch and make a sound with it. Play with layered patches. Make some tunes using it. Do you think you hear anything lacking?

Second, as others have said, the Prophet-6 isn't exactly a holy grail synth. It's not a Pro-5. The filters are a little different, and the oscillators don't generate the exact same harmonics. They sound a little like the Prophet-08 OSCs, so some of that newish DSI character is there. But, this is a gutsier synth, closer to the P-5 than the 08 and 12. If this matters to you a bunch, and you don't really want two synths, enjoy the P-12 in the meantime and see if it grows on you. Chances are it will, it's crazy powerful and flexible, and you won't exhaust what it's capable of for more than a decade.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Prophet 6 coming out is actually making me consider a P12 instead. Not because the P12 sounds better (they're obviously very different sounds), but because I think it could be more useful due to its flexibility. It just took the P6 to make me realize that I could pay that sort of money for a synth.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dunno man. You bought a P-12 presumably because there was something about it that you loved. 2 weeks later, what has changed other than what else is on the market and your expectations for the future? Its the same synth but the grass always seems greener when it comes to things you don't have (or don't have yet). Its a curse everyone has experienced but everyone could do without.

To me, you just got a P-12 which is a killer synth. 2 weeks later and its still a killer synth. 4 months from now, after P-6s have shipped it will still be a killer synth. Use it for what it is. Don't have regrets over something else that could have been. You'll drive yourself mad forever if you keep thinking like that.

Last edited by Robobaby; 23rd January 2015 at 08:46 PM..
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
heh, when Dave did that low pass filter sweep in the demo video i smiled....sounded a lot like my rev2. I sure hope he based the filters off the ssm2040 and not the cem3320.

this is the product he should have released instead of all the other crap....but I'm guessing it took a lot of investment to make this happen and he probably needed those other projects to support and pull this off....vcos or gtfo.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am actually in the same boat as the OP, but my story has a little other twist to it.

1) I sold back a vintage synth to a dealer because I just didn't want this said synth anymore. I took store credit over cash because I "got more." I took a P12 (and some other gear) on trade because I thought the P12 looked pretty great (I had never played one yet at that point but was curious because I am a gearslut). I took her home and messed around with her. I think it is a FANTASTIC synth. The sound is good and the layout is PHENOMENAL. While there is some menu diving for modulation routing and other options, it is a breeze to navigate. SO intuitive.

I have spent a bit of time with her now. The presets scared me at first because I thought most of them sucked (as with most synths). So I threw down some Init Patches "or Basic Patches" down and started tweaking. I got some nice patches going, but nothing really JUMPED out at me sonically. Keep in mind that I haven't really used it with a lot of effects (other than on the unit itself) as I wanted to get a real good feel of its "raw" sound.

Lastly, when I work with synths, I like bare bones synths. I HATE menu diving and I don't really get too crazy with modulation routing. I have a modular for that which I get crazy with modulations. I love a simple straightforward synth. And for the most part, the P12 is laid out VERY simple with the ability to go very deep. I am just not BLOWN away by the sonic character.

2) Here's where the wrench gets thrown in. A couple of weeks ago, a friend approached me and said he met someone getting rid of their Studio Electronics Prophet 5 rackmount. I had been looking at these for a while but never pulled the trigger. Now, the offer was too good to pass up and I pulled the trigger on it. I haven't gotten it yet, but it is en route as we speak. My main reason was because a) I've always wanted to own a P5 and b) I really don't have room for another "Full" keyboard in my studio and c) I like Studio Electronics stuff. So how 'bout THAT. I get a Prophet 5 rackmount (Rev 3.3) and they drop the Prophet 6 yesterday. It's my fault. I should have waited until NAMM. I just didn't think Dave Smith was gonna introduce a new synth yet due to the P12, P8 and Pro-2.

So that's where I am at. I would love to hear all of your takes on it. But yes, I'm looking to get rid of my P12. It's on the classifieds here. I haven't brought it over to eBay yet but I might soon. It is MINT. I still have the box and plastic is on the display. In the meantime, I will still work with it a tiny bit just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

CHEERS!!! Lastly, I am VERY happy that the P6 was released for all those who have been waiting for an analog poly (like the P5) at an affordable price. The P8 is fantastic but I think this is what a lot of people have been waiting for.
πŸ“ Reply