The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 08 vs Prophet 12? No Discussion?
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Prophet 08 vs Prophet 12? No Discussion?

Hi,

I'm missing hot discussions about the two? How similar are they when it comes to classic sounds. Of course P12 is more versatile, but if you only look at the classic subtractive sounds.

Who has them both and can tell a little bit?
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
They are not really comparable.
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Arn't they. Don't they share the same filters and quite similar Envelopes and LFOs? And the Amp?

I know that the oscillators are different, but what is the difference between a rectengular wave from a DCO compared to the rectangle from a AD-converter.
As far as I remember, the oscillator drift is controlled by a slope parameter on both synths.
Only the triangle might be different. But DCO is as stable as a sample. So why can't you compare the basic synth features? Or what advatages (soundwise) do DCO have?
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thing is ths P12 can have 5 osc. per voice, and each can take on a futher 12 shapes - very different. So what you are really saying is - if you dont use any of these, cut it down to 2 osc. per voice and dont use what the P8 has not got - will the DCO versus the sample make much of a difference?

Who knows? Maybe not - sometimes a sample based oscillator through the best analog architecture sounds better than a VCO through a poorly designed synth - although I might get staked for suggesting that.
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
No, it perfectly makes sense to compare them. P12 must have the ability to recreate the classic sounds. At the core, it's not that different kind of synth, after all.

The question is how good it is at recreating those sounds? I'm sure, rather sooner than later somebody will make a demo of P12 playing vintage types of patches.
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Maybe I'm asking such question, because I'd like to buy something from DSI ('08, 12 or Tempest), but don't know which one to take. I personally like the Prophet 08 PE rack. But I could use a new keyboard and the Prophet 12 keys are quite okay. And Tempest is very versatile. But if Prophet 12 and Tempest are not capable of sounding like a Prophet 08 I might prefere the Prophet 08. So I like to read what others thing about these related synths. At least all have the same filter I think.
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebo ➑️
But if Prophet 12 and Tempest are not capable of sounding like a Prophet 08 I might prefere the Prophet 08. .
The Tempest is a Drum Machine ( Or at least its workflow is oriented towards that)
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Prophet 12 sounds so much better to my ears... had a good hour with one the other day.
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I have a Prophet 08 rack. I like it a lot. When I first heard demos of the 12 I didn't instantly fall in love, but since then I've heard a bunch that I thought were very good. It's certainly a more versatile instrument, but that doesn't mean the 08 isn't with it's very good modulation set up.

Personally though, when I start to look a hybrid machines, I start to get to a point where I feel that moving ITB for such things works just as well for less money and no space requirements. In other words, when I seek the complexity and types of sound the 12 is good for, I'd just as soon look to Discovery Pro, Synthmaster, Largo, etc. I'm sure there are sonic advantages to having something like the 12, but to me where money and space are limited, I find the difference is small enough to not be worth it.

Of course that's a matter of taste and opinion. Many people love DSI's Evolver but I never dug it. Part of the reason was the aliasing from the digital oscs, but perhaps the 12 is better? Not sure. Demo tracks I've heard do sound smoother.

Anyway, I got the Prophet mostly for big pad sounds and in delivers in that respect, but it's also no slouch for bass, keys and lead sounds. however... I think if I were to be starting from scratch at this point, I'd check to see if I could get the kind of sounds I like from the 12 and maybe augment it with a Tetr4. One thing for me is that I'm out of space so I wouldn't do anything until there's a rack Prophet 12 and possibly not even then.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get the Tempest, it has many more waveforms, plus 4 oscillators per voice. Don't forget the analog signal. I've owned the P08, still own the Tempest, and P12. Didn't like the P08 much, I prefer the sound of the P12 between the two. I would say look at the Prophet 12 if you want a keyboard .
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
prophet '08 came out in 2007 and prophet 12 came out in 2013

Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I definitely prefer the P12. The sound of the 08/Mopho stuff... well, it's not the most interesting or emotionally engaging sound I know, let's put it that way. Just leaves me cold a lot of the time, like softsynths tend to do a lot. The P12 is better.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I ordered the P08 (PE edition Keyboard) this morning . Hope to have it in the studio early next week.

I could have chosen the P12, but I love the sonic character of the P08 (warm, analog, lush, and very musical to my ears). it also complements my current studio setup very nicely. I felt that the P12 would not be the best complement.

The P12 is a very sophisticated synth, but does not complement my current gear. My next addition will be a NL4 (Desktop) as soon as it begins shipping this Fall.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had a few sleepless nights looking at these two - they share a lot of common ground but are very different beasts in my opinion (which is worth jack-s**t in honesty).
I really like the Evolver architecture but after an initial wow, I think the P12 is overkill for me and the Evolver is best in a mono unit for my needs.
So, for me, wanting analog and hands-on, the P'08 seems the logical choice out of the 2.
I'm keen to see if DSI are entertaining the idea of a P'12 rack/desktop in coming years though...

Personally though, I think an Evolver and P'08 offer ME more than a P'12 alone would...
P'08 = semi-justified outlay, satiating my want/need for analog sounds - P'12 = GAS/lust
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have all 3 so I think I can comment :-)

The Prophet'08 will do the classic analogue sounds. It's a pure and bright sound by default but with programming you can get it to sound quite vintage. If that's all you want it answers your question.

The Prophet 12 is way more powerful. In principle you should be able to get all the same sounds, and more. There are tricks you can do on the P12 that you can't do on the P08. E.g. you can overdrive the filter in the P12 in 2 or 3 different ways giving you distorted screaming leads. You can't do this at all on the P08.

I keep meaning to do some vintage style sounds on the P12 but it's so versatile it's far to easy to go off in other directions. It's a really great synth for programming.
That said I've got some Mellotron style sounds out of it - I really didn't expect that.

The sound of the 3 is a bit different from each other:

The P08 is DCO analogue but as I said you can get a more vintage sound.

The Tempest can do analogue sounds but I've not been able to get the really vintage analogue type sound. You do however have the wave tables and with these you can get some PPG like sounds. The tone is also a bit different to the P08, not quite as warm.

I've only had the P12 a week so it's hard to nail the sound at the minute. The tone is more like the P08 than Tempest but you can vey it a lot.
You can get really big sounds out of it and I think you can apply this to the analogue or digital end.

The "digital sheen" some people talk about is most likely the sound of the new waveforms, it's not so much that they sound digital but more that they don't sound analogue. However, closing the LPF down can radically change this.
BTW the waveforms aren't normal fixed waveforms, you can alter them all quite radically with the shape knob - and then you can add in FM, AM and any other modulations you choose.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The P12 looks and sounds fantastic to me - I honestly tot up how much I could raise selling most of my junk to get one of these.

Fresh - new out the box, no 'vintage failure' worries. Problem is if I had one I couldnt envisage getting any sleep.
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't think that one would really be divided between the two? You either want one, or the other, or can only afford one of them..
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➑️
I wouldn't think that one would really be divided between the two? You either want one, or the other, or can only afford one of them..
This is Gearslutz - not sensibleandmeaningfulpurchases.com
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy ➑️
This is Gearslutz - not sensibleandmeaningfulpurchases.com

someone stick this in their sig
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How close will the Prophet 12 get to the traditional analog sounds the 08 can make?

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, but I'm having a heck of a time choosing which. My ears are telling me to go with the 08, based on comparing sound demos, but I know that we probably haven't heard everything the 12 can do, considering that it's so new. I really want something capable of making classic analog sounds, but also something with flexibility to make wild and new sounds, if my taste change down the road.

This will be my main polysynth, to accompany my Octave Cat and SH-101.
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I finally got the DSI Prophet 08 (PE-Edition Keyboard) in the studio.

I will post an audio demo of the P08 in the near future. So, far I love the sounds this synth can create, very versatile, and beautiful warm analog timbre. It is exactly what I was after, and is a perfect complement to my current synth collection.

I have no way to compare it in person to the P12. I heard many audio demos of the P12, but imho. non of them seem to have the characteristic sound of the P08 to my ears.

I'm very happy with my choice. Although I could have gone for the P12.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Perhaps somewhat counterintuitively, I prefer the P12 over the P8 for classic analogue poly sounds, despite the digital oscs. I think this is probably due to the far more sloppy slop, the various distortion/overdrives (used subtly), and the rather tasty, modulatable delay. Lots of BoC style stuff on tap. It also seems to have a far more flexible character - an awful lot of the P8s range has that slightly brassy edge that is a bit marmite.
Old 2nd October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
I will post an audio demo of the P08 in the near future.
It's been 18 minutes...where's that demo?
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The P12 is instant Boards Of Canada. It's also instant industrial noise glitch scream blow your speakers rude, so the first thing I learned was to go easy on the grit... The P08 is the 12's polite, welcoming brother, like an old friend offering you soup. Or something.

And that is the major difference between the two.
Old 2nd October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[Q
Quote:
UOTE=Persemone;9472654]The P12 is instant Boards Of Canada.
Really? ...
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Here's a question...Does the Prophet 12 sound vastly superior to a quality softsynth? I ask this because, for example, no softsynth I have tried has come close to my Octave Cat for analog sounds. Any analog synth I have used has had a character to the sound, that is quite 3D, to describe it best, compared to a softsynth. I fear that the Prophet 12, with it's digital oscillators, may be too close in sound to some of the higher quality softsynths (I'm thinking Spire in this case, as it doesn't try to emulate analog, but does it's own thing as a digital synth). Thoughts?
Old 3rd October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsync ➑️
Here's a question...Does the Prophet 12 sound vastly superior to a quality softsynth? I ask this because, for example, no softsynth I have tried has come close to my Octave Cat for analog sounds. Any analog synth I have used has had a character to the sound, that is quite 3D, to describe it best, compared to a softsynth. I fear that the Prophet 12, with it's digital oscillators, may be too close in sound to some of the higher quality softsynths (I'm thinking Spire in this case, as it doesn't try to emulate analog, but does it's own thing as a digital synth). Thoughts?
NEGATIVE!!!

Please don't try to convince yourself, or anyone else that the Prophet 12 sounds like a high end vst. That is so false. No vst can come close to this sound.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
People read far too much into the P12's digital oscillators. If you look at the 'extremes' of in-depth synthesis like Eurorack then you'll see true synthesists embrace all potential forms of sonic mayhem without prejudice, and frankly the non-analogue oscillators in Euro seem far and away the most interesting. If all you're after is a Moogesque sin/saw/square, then buy a Slim Phatty and be done - it's 1/3rd the price. Take the 12 for what it is, what it can do that any Moog can't.

People are so obsessed with DCO/VCO this and that they forget the huge role a VCA plays in shaping that 'Analog' sound. Not forgetting the in-series resonant LPF/HPF filters, too, (although I agree a filter characteristic is a very personal matter of taste).

Think of the 12 in the same way you might think of the PPG wave or the venerable VS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
[Q

Really? ...
Yes, for sure; the distortion can, at low settings, be a wonderful analogue saturation - and with the (very messy) slop parameter on each oscillator, combined with the 4 LFO and 4 envelope options (all of which can modulate and be modulated), you can build wow and flutter into every patch should you want to. Several of the factory patches demonstrate this very well. Then, with a little digital pre-filter bitcrushing, you can go from 70's reels to 80's VHS at the turn of a knob!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
I love the sonic character of the P08 (warm, analog, lush, and very musical to my ears).
sounded like rubbery plastic to me, can be pretty cool but wasn't worth the price to me
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree, I didn't like the Prophet 08 at all. I do love the P12 and Tempest though!!!!
πŸ“ Reply