39 Votes - 50.00%
Shure SM7b
39 Votes - 50.00%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th July 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
SM7B or RE20?

So I'm torn between the Electro Voice RE20 and the Shure SM7B. Both awesome mics!

Leaning more towards the Shure.

Any thoughts?
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How can you expect any useful responses if you don't at the very least clarify what you need said mics for?
Old 8th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➑️
How can you expect any useful responses if you don't at the very least clarify what you need said mics for?
You're absolutely right, apologies.

Mainly for vocals. I already have some decent condenser mics, which do a wonderful job, but I'm looking for a different colour, or something that responds in a different way.

Somethings useful for guitar/bass cabs would be useful too....
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
For vocals, guitar and bass cab I would reach for the SM7B more often. It's a great mic for a lot of voices. It will need a good bit more gain than your typical condenser mic, so it's good to have a nice preamp that has lots of clean gain to run it through.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Maniac

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I love both, and both end up on vocals in stead of far more expensive mics on a regular basis. I tend to grab an RE20 for vocals alittle more often, but I use the sm7b on other instruments alot more often. I'd probly get the sm7b if I were you just cause its cheaper and may fit into more situations than the RE20, neither is a bad choice though. Have fun.
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Beyer M88.
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It really depends on the voice. I've used RE20's before and they didn't do anything special for my voice. The Sm7b and I seem to get along better, so that's what I voted for. But I have to say, I doubt your voice sounds anything like mine.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If your primary is vocals, try and give both a listen. I know Guitar Center carries the SM7b in stores, so you should be able to try it there. The RE20 is a bit harder to find. I had one for a while but had to return it because of interference from a cellular tower 1/4mile from the house. The sound of the RE20 was great and the variable D is awesome. Great mic.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicejar ➑️
Mainly for vocals. I already have some decent condenser mics, which do a wonderful job, but I'm looking for a different colour, or something that responds in a different way.

Vocal-wise, the SM7b is very lean and focused but you can also use proximity for great effect. The RE-20 might sound thinner on reddier voices despite generally being considered more of a 'bass/kick' mic.

The SM7b can work on acoustic guitar and cabs but I mostly find it too tame in those applications. It can work great in combination with another mic but the same can be said of the RE-20. One of the best acoustic guitar sounds I ever got was with a RE-20/C-451EB combo.

In other words, it totally depends. Both are great mics but if you are mainly looking for a vocal mic I'd choose the SM7b for general use. If you mainly use it one your own voice then you simply need to try out both mics (and a few others as well).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey ➑️
If your primary is vocals, try and give both a listen. I know Guitar Center carries the SM7b in stores, so you should be able to try it there. The RE20 is a bit harder to find. I had one for a while but had to return it because of interference from a cellular tower 1/4mile from the house. The sound of the RE20 was great and the variable D is awesome. Great mic.
Great advice. Try them both. This is the best way to make the decision. Otherwise it's just a popularity contest.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
One last thing, don't get caught up in the hype. Both mics are great, however, they aren't the magic that they are sometimes made out to be. If you are looking for the fantasy mics that live in people's heads you'll be disappointed. Those mics don't exist out in the real world, away from the internet forums. With realistic expectations, you'll be pleased.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey ➑️
One last thing, don't get caught up in the hype. Both mics are great, however, they aren't the magic that they are sometimes made out to be. If you are looking for the fantasy mics that live in people's heads you'll be disappointed. Those mics don't exist out in the real world, away from the internet forums. With realistic expectations, you'll be pleased.
^^^ Yes.

And like other mics, they can be just what you need for a particular track. If I am working in a tiny room, a bad sounding room, or a poorly treated room, the SM7b is my go to for rejecting ugly room sounds.

Last edited by Alrod; 8th July 2015 at 04:25 PM..
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Advanced Audio DM20 - Advanced Audio Microphones DM20. Dunamic microphone based on the RE-20 | Advanced Audio Microphones

Plays RE20 on the weekends, more filters (so you can get different sound), amazing build quality, excellent sound quality
About one half the cost of an RE20 on eBay - $179 US plus shipping.
I got one. I am overjoyed. Don't need to go SM7 or RE20
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 3 RE20s and 1 SM7b: I prefer the RE20 for many reasons including exceptional capture of detail on both vocals and instrumental work. The SM7 has a limited unique ability to tame highly siblant sonics however there is a very telling fact in the ubiquitous presence of RE20s in most all radio stations!
Old 9th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound ➑️
It really depends on the voice. I've used RE20's before and they didn't do anything special for my voice. The Sm7b and I seem to get along better, so that's what I voted for. But I have to say, I doubt your voice sounds anything like mine.
We must have the same type of voice because I am in the same boat. The RE20 seems just a bit too honest on my voice. I much prefer the SM7 on me.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The lack of detail which a SM7B delivers seems to be itΒ΄s feature, not a bug. If you want to get rid of information in your audio then itΒ΄s the right choice. If you need detail then a RE20 is the better choice. Horses for courses.
If micing basscabs is your second most important application then IΒ΄d go RE20 all day long.
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Agree with what most have said about difference in detail on each of these mics. I find SM7 better for rock/shouty vocals and the RE20 on softer vocals where more clarity/detail is required. I also think RE20 is a better all rounder and a bit flatter sounding than the SM7.
I've tried both these mics and tend to favour the RE20, even on my vocals and guitar cabs.. but this is personal choice and I don't think you can go wring with either. My advice would be to get which ever you're getting a better deal on now, and then get the other later on.

I bought my RE20 while on holiday in the US as it was much cheaper there than here in the UK.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I always find the SM7B vs RE20 debate interesting because of the two, when it comes to recording vocals, the SM7b is typically seen in recording studios with singers, where the RE20 is typically seen in radio stations with the radio announcers, and in voice-over studios. Then I read threads like this that would have you believe that RE20 common for vocals (singing), in the studio. I just don't see that in my travels or on the internet for that matter. Some posted the RE20 as being "detailed". Perhaps some feel that it is more detailed than the SM7b (I don't have an opinion either way), but if I want clarity/detail, neither of those mics would be my first choice.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Get the sm7b and a cloudlifter and a metal pop filter. Set the pop filter in front of the mic about 1-2 inches to keep the vocalist from eating the mic but tell them to stay on it. Engage the HP. Engage the presence boost (for most vox). Run through a nice pre / eq / comp and you're set.
Use it for a year and then consider the RE20 for a different flavor. It's not an either/or decision in my opinion.
Old 10th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton ➑️
Get the sm7b and a cloudlifter and a metal pop filter. Set the pop filter in front of the mic about 1-2 inches to keep the vocalist from eating the mic but tell them to stay on it. Engage the HP. Engage the presence boost (for most vox). Run through a nice pre / eq / comp and you're set.
Use it for a year and then consider the RE20 for a different flavor. It's not an either/or decision in my opinion.
The Couldlifter is not necessary if your mic pre already has enough clean gain. I agree with engaging the HPF for vocals, but the presence boost may or may not be needed. It depends on the vox. The type of pop filter is really a personal choice. Some like to use the SM7b as is.
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

I have seen the RE20 used on Double Bass quite a few times and yet Alan Sides claims to use the SM7b on Double Bass. Anybody have any experience with either of these two mics on this sources while we are on the subject?
Old 10th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicejar ➑️
You're absolutely right, apologies.

For bass it is no contest: RE20. Guitars can go either way (but if you have any other mics you have options).

For vocals it depends, but what I do find is that though the SM7b might be better on the odd vocalist, it can also be horrible on some. The EV is always good, if not great. So if you mean to use this on yourself predominantly - go comapre in stioore asd already suggested. If to have on hand for other people coming through your studio, I say EV.

Last edited by Granny Gremlin; 10th July 2015 at 04:34 PM..
Old 11th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin ➑️
For bass it is no contest: RE20. Guitars can go either way (but if you have any other mics you have options).

For vocals it depends, but what I do find is that though the SM7b might be better on the odd vocalist, it can also be horrible on some. The EV is always good, if not great....
Come on now, that's a pretty broad statement on the EV. Many people do not own one simply because it didn't work for them. So obviously, it is not "always good". The same can be said for the SM7b.

Red Hot Chile Pepper's Anthony Kiedis, Pearl Jam's Eddy Vedder, Michael Jackson, Ray Lamontagne, Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan, The Civil Wars, Sheryl Crow, these are just to name a few people that have recorded with the SM7. That's a pretty wide vocal range so it's not just the "odd vocalist" that the SM7 works for.

The SM7b is better known as a "vocal" mic whereas the RE20 is better known as a broadcasting mic. OP, your best bet is to try them both and see which works better for you. In fact, if possible do a blind test so that you are choosing with your ears and not on brand name. Don't buy into the "My mic is better than yours" hype.
Old 11th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
IMHO, both are great Mics, and either will give you professional results.

I like the RE-20 more than an SM7b, and the md 441u better than both ( when it comes to dynamic vox Mics )

Re-20 has more top end. Sounds a bit more up front. SM7 is smoother and handles plosives better with artists who have bad mic technique.

441u is Awesome tho. Surprised it isn't mentioned as much in these forums.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod ➑️
Come on now, that's a pretty broad statement on the EV. Many people do not own one simply because it didn't work for them. So obviously, it is not "always good". The same can be said for the SM7b.
I stand by it. No, I don't think the same can be said for the SM7b; it can be just wrong for some voices. I did not mean that the EV was always the ticket, that would be preposterous, but it is never off like the SM7 can be; "m'eh" at worst (but then pair it with another mic and blam; there it is).

The reason for this, I think, is the upper midrange behaviour of the SM7b; maybe also the kind of scattery top end it has (unless you remove the foam). It just don't work for some voices. The EV is more neutral, with a smoother, fuller top end which really helps with note definition and inteligebility. It's not a colour mic like the SM7b, is what I am saying.
Old 11th July 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The EV is a bit more forgiving of poor mic technique, because of the lack of proximity effect.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD ➑️
We must have the same type of voice because I am in the same boat. The RE20 seems just a bit too honest on my voice. I much prefer the SM7 on me.
I had the exact opposite experience, so there you go. I think "honest" means exaggerating or neutral in the areas where your voice sound unflattering to you. Hence this will be different with every voice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➑️
I have seen the RE20 used on Double Bass quite a few times and yet Alan Sides claims to use the SM7b on Double Bass. Anybody have any experience with either of these two mics on this sources while we are on the subject?
I usually reach for ksm32 for double bass, but now I'm intrigued. Going to have to try re20 and sm7 this week.
Old 11th July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The SM7, while sounding great on other people's voices, just seems to eat all the character out of mine. The RE20 is a little bit better for general purpose use, and great to have when a vocalist doesn't have the best technique.
Old 11th July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Have both...for me.....vocals Sm7....for most other things RE20
πŸ“ Reply