The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid/Euphonix Artist Control goes black?
Old 18th June 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Avid/Euphonix Artist Control goes black?

Was just snooping around the Avid website and a competition page appears to show the Artist Control sporting the same look as the Color and Transport.....

Old 18th June 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Nice detective work heh

matt
Old 18th June 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I actually noticed the same thing on the comp page, had a look around and can't seem to find it anywhere else, but maybe its on the books, would look kind of cool with my MC transport!
Old 5th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Paint it black

Here is a picture of some real ones that just arrived. Branded Avid. No Euphonix anymore...

Remember,
Gearsux
Attached Thumbnails
Avid/Euphonix Artist Control goes black?-photo.jpg  
Old 6th July 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Black to hide the cracks???
Old 7th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like it much better dark.. nice
Old 9th August 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Any other noticeable changes to the Avid Mix over the silver version? Build quality, etc . . .
Old 9th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New paint job but did they f***ing fix these things yet? Gosh I really want to buy some (again) but they need metal instead of plastic. F......
Old 13th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 ➑️
New paint job but did they f***ing fix these things yet? Gosh I really want to buy some (again) but they need metal instead of plastic. F......
The build quality issues (cracks in fronthousing) were fixed with a redesign. The fader issues will be fixed with firmware in 2.6.1 coming very soon.
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I won't be buying another avid / Euphonix product. Two replacements. The second replacement took months. The replacement was clearly not new. It had two small dents on the face plate and there are crack issues too. Never again :(
Old 15th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of these. Maybe not so much now. I'm tired of black. And they break?
Old 15th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Trola ➑️
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of these. Maybe not so much now. I'm tired of black. And they break?
I actually think I kinda like the black better, but maybe thats because I have gotten tired of the silver after a year. We have three of the Artist Series pieces. No issues here, except for sometimes the faders fly too fast and the fader cap falls off. The caps fly off to protect against fader damage, so its not really a defect, more of a safety annoyance
Old 17th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I prefer silver by far so I hurried to get my 4 modules.

Honestly, beside the occasional jittering and violent faders they all work flawlessly.
Old 18th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hate what the artist series has done to the Euphonix name. I mean its kind of their fault... it is their product, but most people don't realize that even at 1200 bucks, they are still less than 1/10th of the cost of their cheapest control surface from the professional line. Their pro products are astoundingly good... all of them. There's even a completely different support model for the artist series.

Peace,
Brian
Old 25th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I received my rebrand MC Mix a little over a week ago. Seeing it online I hated the look of the new units in all black. After getting it and using it for a few hours it is easier on the eyes then the Silver units. The text is easier to read and they still have that standout appearance on my workstation desk I will take a couple pictures and post in a few days.
Old 25th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdaugherty ➑️
I hate what the artist series has done to the Euphonix name. I mean its kind of their fault... it is their product, but most people don't realize that even at 1200 bucks, they are still less than 1/10th of the cost of their cheapest control surface from the professional line. Their pro products are astoundingly good... all of them. There's even a completely different support model for the artist series.

Peace,
Brian
Adding to this:
Not everyone wants a huge console that takes all the place on the desk.
Composers need desk space sometimes for large orchestra staff paper, rulers, etc. The artist series is perfect for those who do not only press buttons but actually write music as well.

Yes it's not a 50k mixing board so it's cheaper in built quality, and thanks to whoever is responsible for that. Now it's possible to write music and then do a quick mix of the simulation on the same desk, something we wouldn't even have dreamt about 15 years ago.

They called it the "Artist Series" and not the "Sound Tech Series" for a reason.

BTW the new 2.6.1 firmware released today: amazing.
Old 26th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here is a pick of my Black MC Mix. Also already downloaded 2.6.1 and updated the firmware. It works as advertise. It got rid of my jittery faders and also restored HUI/Mackie control mode. So it works with the non Eucon DAWs again. I have to do some more testing later.
Attached Thumbnails
Avid/Euphonix Artist Control goes black?-photo-5.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I will also be picking up either a MC Control when they release the black one or just get another mix. I have a MC Control V1 and have not hade much use for the touch screen. I am a short cut junkie and the touch screen slows me down bit. I guess I should try making some macros and see if that will change my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Avid/Euphonix Artist Control goes black?-photo-1.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecaudio ➑️
I will also be picking up either a MC Control when they release the black one or just get another mix. I have a MC Control V1 and have not hade much use for the touch screen. I am a short cut junkie and the touch screen slows me down bit. I guess I should try making some macros and see if that will change my mind.
I would get another mix if I were you. With a Transport you don't need the Control transport area, and since you don't like the touch screen... The infinite amount of programmable softkeys are amazing but honestly you have plenty on the Transport.

Also there is nothing like doubling the amount of faders and considering your desk space it would fit nicely.

I have 2 mix a transport and a control here, but gosh I want that Symphony system you have!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill ➑️
I would get another mix if I were you. With a Transport you don't need the Control transport area, and since you don't like the touch screen... The infinite amount of programmable softkeys are amazing but honestly you have plenty on the Transport.

Also there is nothing like doubling the amount of faders and considering your desk space it would fit nicely.

I have 2 mix a transport and a control here, but gosh I want that Symphony system you have!
Man Xill. I love this Symphony System. It sounds so good. But I am not going to clog this thread with my drooling. But I do wish that Apogee would enable the low latency monitoring mixer and add eucon support to Maestro v2 like they had in Maestro v1 for most products. I want to use studio monitor express to control my speaker levels. That is the only reason I may add the control is because of its dedicated Studio monitor encoder. I use to have it setup with my Apogee ensemble and MC Control V1.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecaudio ➑️
Man Xill. I love this Symphony System. It sounds so good. But I am not going to clog this thread with my drooling. But I do wish that Apogee would enable the low latency monitoring mixer and add eucon support to Maestro v2 like they had in Maestro v1 for most products. I want to use studio monitor express to control my speaker levels. That is the only reason I may add the control is because of its dedicated Studio monitor encoder. I use to have it setup with my Apogee ensemble and MC Control V1.
Hey Mecaudio, I tried SME and it does work on the knob, but the lack of feedback on the Control screen makes the feature "less than great", at least for me; I like to know what volume I'm at, either in db or % (you can see it on the SME window but it's not something you want on the foreground of your work at all time). I understand that if you need to monitor multiple outputs then it becomes extremely useful.

I don't think I'l have enough cash for the Symphony so I'll probably get a Fireface UFX. I don't do much live recording here, I write music and do my orchestra simulations.

I think the Control need more visual feedback screens tabs... Eucon dedicated plugins would be nice if they could integrate with the touchscreen.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
looks like artist control is now in all black too:

Avid | Artist Control

Old 23rd September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
"We fixed the cracking problem finally! We made em all black so you won't notice the cracks! Win!"

heh
Old 27th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
"We fixed the cracking problem finally! We made em all black so you won't notice the cracks! Win!"

heh
We made changes in the design over two years ago to fix the parts that were causing fractures over time. We changed processes at the Contract Manufacturer to make sure this doesn't happen again. We initiated a program to replace Artist Mix units that had cracks on a case by case basis.

We released firmware that made fader movement smoother and more accurate on product built from 2008 to 2011. We ported to Windows. We integrated EUCON into Pro Tools and continue improving the integration, while extending EUCON membership and continuing partnership with Pre Avid partners.

We have been working very hard to improve EUCON and the Artist experience for customers.
Old 28th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon ➑️
We made changes in the design over two years ago to fix the parts that were causing fractures over time. We changed processes at the Contract Manufacturer to make sure this doesn't happen again. We initiated a program to replace Artist Mix units that had cracks on a case by case basis.

We released firmware that made fader movement smoother and more accurate on product built from 2008 to 2011. We ported to Windows. We integrated EUCON into Pro Tools and continue improving the integration, while extending EUCON membership and continuing partnership with Pre Avid partners.

We have been working very hard to improve EUCON and the Artist experience for customers.

That sounds very encouraging. I also LOVE the black!
Old 28th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Are you actually representing AVID/Euphonix ?

Sorry if I missed that in the mix somewhere, but if you are, I'd suggest including a signature stating that you are actually representing the company.
Old 29th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Sorry if it seemed I was bashing. I like the MC Control a lot. I just don't feel very confident in it. Never had a problem with cracking. My first one's touchscreen gave out within 11 months. The one Avid sent me as a replacement would freeze up when it booted. The second replacement the sent wouldn't even power on. So it seems I have had some bad luck. I am pretty sure this new one will break sooner or later and I am out of warranty now and will have to shell out another $400 to get another "maybe working" unit. heh
Old 31st October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➑️
Are you actually representing AVID/Euphonix ?

Sorry if I missed that in the mix somewhere, but if you are, I'd suggest including a signature stating that you are actually representing the company.
Representing EUCON and the Artist Series since 2008.

John Haydon
Principal Product Manager | Live Systems and Consoles

Avid
2001 Junipero Serra Boulevard
Daly City, CA 94014-3886
United States
[email protected]
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I was thinking about selling my Command 8 for this. Maybe not
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We integrated EUCON into Pro Tools and continue improving the integration, while extending EUCON membership and continuing partnership with Pre Avid partners.

Does this point towards making EUCON available to even more DAWs, or just continuing to develop with the already populated list of DAWs?

I use more software than just Pro Tools and Pyramix, and would love to have EUCON in programs like REAPER too.
πŸ“ Reply