Quantcast
Harrison 32C users, do you use less third party plug ins? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison 32C users, do you use less third party plug ins?
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

42 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Harrison 32C users, do you use less third party plug ins?

In using the EQ and compressor on each Channel instead of third party plugins improves your workflow. It is faster, easier and more straightforward. The good news is the EQ and compressor on each channel sound very good and I find myself not needing to go to third party plug ins as much.

In Cubase I am going to inserts trying to find out which of hundred EQ and compressors I have to use on each Channel. Opening them up, adjusting them, and going back to your main mix screen is really a negative experience.

How many of you stick with just the EQ and compressors built into Harrison 32C? in addition I don't need to run to third party tape plug ins either
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I use both MixBus 6, and Mixbus32C 6 as my "summing mixer". I really enjoyed using a Rupert Neve Designs 5060 summing mixer at a local studio. I would do all the tone adjustment. EQ fixing, etc. in Logic using lots of plugins when necessary, then move audio around so I could use the 5060. Basically print my tracks and buses for "final" mixing.

I really like what Mixbus does to the sound just simply passing it through the channels and the mix buses. I usually saturate. The only 3rd-party plugin I use is one of my choices of mastering tools - Ozone 9, T-Racks 5, and sometimes the Lurssen Mastering Console.

I use Mixbus when working on live tapes, just seems to fit my mood. 32c for studio projects. Pretty much my "mastering" tool...I really like being able to use my X-Touch for working on the mix buses...wheee...
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

The one thing I miss about conventional parametric EQs is the real-time spectrum analyzer, so I usually add this one to each channel since I already have it:

http://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-eq

I've gotten better at doing EQ by ear in Mixbus, but it's still sometimes good to have that real-time display to verify what I think I'm hearing and where I'm hearing it.
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes. It took a while for me of blindly AB’ing to get confident with the built in dynamics, but now id venture that the bass and lead vocal are some of the only track level dynamics I don't do with them generally speaking.

I have two big areas where ii use third party most of the time: bus processing....and reverb.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➡️
In using the EQ and compressor on each Channel instead of third party plugins improves your workflow. It is faster, easier and more straightforward. The good news is the EQ and compressor on each channel sound very good and I find myself not needing to go to third party plug ins as much.

In Cubase I am going to inserts trying to find out which of hundred EQ and compressors I have to use on each Channel. Opening them up, adjusting them, and going back to your main mix screen is really a negative experience.

How many of you stick with just the EQ and compressors built into Harrison 32C? in addition I don't need to run to third party tape plug ins either
I'm now doing the same thing.
I'm a Logic user and do some crazy stuff with scripter scripts I wrote and I use to use spend too much time inserting and hearing which plug-in sounds good.
Now I just export all the tracks to audio and bring them into MixBus 32c (just bought it on an upgrade price, was using MixBus v6) and I too have found that I'm using no EQ/Compression plug-ins anymore.

The only 3rd party plug-in I'm using would just be a reverb.

I even figured out how to use Space Designer in Logic Pro X with MixBus.

Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Logic user here as well who mixes in Mixbus 32C. Great combination!

I usually have everything taken care of with my track editing in Logic and then just import the bounced tracks out of Logic into Mixbus 32C.

Like everyone has been saying, I just use the Mixbus EQ and compression and some saturation. And I own all the Mixbus plugs which I use too.

I use a mastering chain to preview how the track is going to sound after it is mastered, but I bounce the mix without it and then master in Logic or DP.

Pat
Old 7th April 2021
Here for the gear
I guess I'm bumping an old thread, but there's so little traffic in here it's OK, right?

For me, using fewer 3rd party plugins is the magic of Mixbus 32c. The inclusion of EQ, compression, and drive on every track -- it's going to save me dozens and dozens of VST windows.

I'm also a big fan of Waves NLS -- and I was able to achieve a similar result driving the tracks and busses in Mixbus32c.

Having everything right there, easily accessible without popping up so many windows -- it's really quite exciting. You don't realize how much of that you do until you work in Mixbus 32c for a while...

Then when you jump back to your previous DAW it's nonstop popups for edits.

I'll probably still compose in Reaper since the possibilities are endless, but finalizing the mix in Mixbus 32c is a good way to take off the composition cap and just focus on the mixdown. The finalization.

The sound of Mixbus32c is half of it - but the other half is usability. If you embrace the workflow, it can be a really enjoyable DAW to work in. You can get good results quickly, which for me is a magical escape from the OCD mixing habits I've gotten into with the endless possibilities of other DAWs.

And V7 feels really stable compared to previous versions. It's the version that made me finally buy it. (And it's $149 right now for anyone interested. Sometimes they have sales for $99 though so you might want to wait... But I'd rather pay the $50 and have it sooner while V7 is fresh.)
Old 27th June 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Short answer Yes. I have been Studio One user for some years and I have used Waves NLS and Studio One Console Shaper and some other plugins to get saturation and analog feel to my mixes.

I had purchased the Mixbus licence two times earlier with poor results: Crashes and compatibility issues. That was the regular version of Mixbus. Now I got the 32C because the offer was good. I also now have RME audio interface which can affect the stability.

So I purchased the licence one more time and I'm glad I did. The software has been stable with both of my computers Win10 desktop and old (early 2011) Mac laptop. I was able to get the good sounding mixes without additional plugins. But I still have a few additional plugins I want to include to my mix like Pultec style EQ, 1176 style compressor and a few master bus plugins I always use. But I would say this has been a game changer for me.

I will continue to work with Studio One when producing but I will start mixing with Mixbus.

A side note: We did a live streaming gig last week and I used the Mixbus to mix it. I was also playing with the band so I figured we'd record a few tunes and I'll find a good general mix for the songs and use the template to mix the band playing live. I only used the Mixbus mix tools (didn't want to risk the stability by adding other plugins) and I worked out fine.
Old 4th July 2021
Lives for gear

A few like pro q3 or elevate if I need to make finer cuts.

But mixbus32c and my hardware is a match made in heaven.
Old 13th July 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yup!

I track, edit and produce in Cakewalk then export to MB32C for mixing. Many recordings need brought up to studio quality and CW workflow, lower cpu usage and midi editing do this for me. I can concentrate on mixing and mastering workflow using the EQ and mixbuses with minimal plugins. In sum, workflow (and templates) and separating basic duties and producing from mixing and mastering reduces plugin count. Happy days!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Also, a bit late to the party, but want to definitely confirm that I reduced the number of 3rd party plugins.
Actually, it is namely iZotopes flagship plugins, the Klanghelm plugins, lately I often grab for Acoustica Black (free!) and some Analog Obsession plugins (also free in the meantime, I was very surprised how good some of them sound to my ears, I use compressors on drums and bass). I use airwindows NotJustAnotherDither and NotJustAnotherCD (I have the impression it is somehow better than what I used before, of course only for final / mastering / pseudo-mastering export. Sample rate down conversion I do outside the DAW with finalcd.
Rarely some Tokyo Dawn Labs flavor.
Sounds like a long list, but compared to what a plethora of plugins I used before Mixbus, it is a very clear direction: Using good sounding stuff that does not degrade what Mixbus does and enhance some of the surgical and analysis tasks with iZotope ...
Having a newer workstation with quite some power and a great amount of RAM probably helped a lot not to think all the time about DSP processing power and I can concentrate on what I want to achieve.
📝 Reply