Quantcast
Chorus pedal for synths....recommendations? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chorus pedal for synths....recommendations?
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Dimension D is an expensive option now, but it really is head and shoulders over the rest if you want your chorus lush, but subtle. This one really is a pro option in all senses - balanced, line-level, rack mountable, mains powered and sounds absolutely gorgeous. Don't expect wibbly-wobbly chorus - this one is for subtle enhancement.

The CE-1 is less subtle, more swirly, and accepts keyboard-level input. As a portable chorus it's my first choice.

I like my CE-3, but having only guitar input makes it too much of a faff for use with keyboards.

The EH Clone Theory is a favourite of mine too, but, again, it expects guitar levels.
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
is there anything affordable that can do the Juno style chorus? The boss CE2 pedals are mono...CE1 doesnt sound as all enveloping as the Juno I and II modes...
Old 14th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Elkorus V3 does a stellar chorus , aint a pedal though , its on special atm :

wutierson

Diamond Chorus or a MF-108 in pedal format . Not sure how close the Diamond would be to the Juno , but it sounds peachy.....

Cheaper option would be a Roland SDE with a short delay time being mod'd via cv w/ lfo , sounds pretty decent . Only in mono though .
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman ➑️
The Elkorus V3 does a stellar chorus , aint a pedal though , its on special atm :

wutierson

Diamond Chorus or a MF-108 in pedal format . Not sure how close the Diamond would be to the Juno , but it sounds peachy.....

Cheaper option would be a Roland SDE with a short delay time being mod'd via cv w/ lfo , sounds pretty decent . Only in mono though .
Diamond Chorus I guess at Β£229...still pretty expensive...CE1 go for around Β£170...but are they similar idea/circuits to the juno? Elkorus looks great but I wouldnt spend that type of money on a chorus sadly...
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the input and opinions.

Yeah, if I was going to pursue a chorus with mono input it would probably be the Moog MF108 (modern) or the CE1 (vintage). However, my idea (seems to be more of a fantasy at this point) is to have stereo inputs to retain the stereo image of each of the 8 voices individually panned. And, Mr. Elf, the intent is definitely for relative subtlety vs swirl. I have flangers for the swirlies. So, your advice has certainly inspired a saved ebay search for the Dimension D.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond guys. Have a fun weekend.

Seems like I'm going to have to use two mono units as opposed to a single stereo (inputs) unit.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
is there anything affordable that can do the Juno style chorus? The boss CE2 pedals are mono...CE1 doesnt sound as all enveloping as the Juno I and II modes...
Would like to know too
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
2 Boss CE2?

Just listened to the BOSS CE-300 demo on youtube vs Juno and the Juno does seem a bit more lush...

I was impressed by the Strymon Mobius I have to say but it does have a bit of that digital sheen to it...
Old 14th July 2013

🎧 5 years
What about a EHX Stereo Polychorus? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The two I own and love.

Dimension D rack
Dimension C pedal

They rule.

I was going to try the Behringer space pedal (clone of Dim C) but figured buying the original was a wiser move.

It's hard to judge reviews on the net. Some are fanatical about how close things sound, others are equally fanatical about how different they sound!
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
im using the stereo clone theory and it sounds amazing to my ears. a bit noisy, but very lush
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
EVERYONE: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS!!!

It started me off the rackmount path into the pedal/floor processor path... I'm now rocking the original Ibanez SC10 that i started the thread with, an Eventide H9, Moog MF-104M, and 2 overdrive clones (Tube Screamer and BigMuffPi) that I built myself from DIYstompboxes.com

I broke out the old Kustom amp as well, and have been having a ton of fun keeping my entire complex awash in spacey synthesizer goodness!
Old 5th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid ➑️
That Diamond chorus pedal is super vibey and lush though and the included vibrato makes me wet myself
LOL. You're hardcore. :-)
Old 5th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Didn't TC Electronic make an analog chorus pedal back in the day? I remember it being highly regarded by guitarists. It wasn't cheap, though. I think it was $300 new.
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I found it. It's the TC Electronic SCF Stereo Chorus + Flanger. There are several of them on eBay at the moment. I forgot that it features its own power cord. That seems fairly unusual for an effects pedal.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bump. Any more thoughts here? Elkorus is unobtainium right now. I have a 108 which is fine but would like a true stereo analog chorus as well.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm working on something at the moment, the SRE330. The electronic design is all done and I'm getting the case sorted this week I hope. Price? I have no idea at the moment. Availability? Maybe late Autumn...

The above is just playing around with the prototype Oakley Sound Systems SRE330 stereo ensemble. In this sound sample set you hear the raw sawtooth first from a Roland Alpha Juno 2, and then the rest of the set processing the Juno's mono output with the SRE330 to produce a rich string synth sound. At extreme modulation depths the induced vibrato effect can be very pronounced.

This sample set uses a Roland Alpha Juno to create a raw sawtooth pad which is then sent to both an Oakley Sound SRE330 and a Lowrey Symphonic Ensemble unit from 1975. The Lowrey ensemble is basically their version of the triple ensemble circuitry from the Solina string machine complete with TCA350Y BBDs.

In this set you hear the same sound firstly played through the Lowrey and then the SRE330 in Triple Ensemble Mode. I crossfade between the two effects after each sound to show how similar they sound. However, they are not identical. The Lowrey is noisier with considerable modulation oscillator breakthrough and there is some of sort of peak in the frequency response which isn't there in the more mellow SRE330. The latter could be added with EQ should one wish to replicate that part of the sound.

It should be noted that the SRE330's and Lowrey's outputs have been put into mono for this sample set to recreate the sound of most analogue string machines.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

I would recommend the Maxon CS550.
For me it is the "warmest" stereo analog chorus.
Only drawback is the input is mono.
I also have a TC SCF which works fine on Oberheim synths but is not as "lush" as the CS550.
I also have the Strymon Ola which has stereo in ( great when you pan the synth voices in stereo but unfortunately not as warm as the Maxon as well, even if it sounds very nice

For the Maxon, I tend to lower the synth output and re-amplify after the effects with two WA-12.
Old 6th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Chorus is one area I prefer digital, by a mile. Even Eventide Mod Factor & Time Factor don't sound as good or as flexible as Valhalla Ubermod, IMO. Pitch Factor makes a nice detuned chorus.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbuilder ➑️
I'm working on something at the moment, the SRE330. The electronic design is all done and I'm getting the case sorted this week I hope. Price? I have no idea at the moment. Availability? Maybe late Autumn...
What's the difference between the SRE330 and the SE330? I would love either from what it sounds like, but I'm not a DIY person so it makes it a bit tougher.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill ➑️
Bump. Any more thoughts here? Elkorus is unobtainium right now. I have a 108 which is fine but would like a true stereo analog chorus as well.
I have the Elkorus and the 108 ... the latter has stereo outs, but with only a mono input its not really a true stereo chorus. Neither sounds even closely the same.

Anyways, if I was in the market for a stereo analog chorus ... I'd be looking at this remake of the Dytronics CS-5. No USA distributor AFAIK, its from Italy and is 1000 euros.

The wave | Shiva Audio Devices

Old 7th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What's the difference between the SRE330 and the SE330? I would love either from what it sounds like, but I'm not a DIY person so it makes it a bit tougher.
The SE330 has been discontinued and the SRE330 is partly its replacement. The SRE330 could be thought of as an extension of the SE330 since it does share some of the circuitry. But there have been more than a few changes. Firstly, it's stereo in and stereo out - the SE330 was only mono in. It has better metering, completely different noise reduction and most importantly, a triple chorus mode which is my take on the Solina style three phase twin LFO ensemble. The SE330 could only do the Roland style chorus and ensembles. It's also a full width 19" rack.

It is possible that this will be a DIY project too but my main aim is to make this one available as a finished item.

Tony
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The SE330 has been discontinued and the SRE330 is partly its replacement. The SRE330 could be thought of as an extension of the SE330 since it does share some of the circuitry. But there have been more than a few changes. Firstly, it's stereo in and stereo out - the SE330 was only mono in. It has better metering, completely different noise reduction and most importantly, a triple chorus mode which is my take on the Solina style three phase twin LFO ensemble. The SE330 could only do the Roland style chorus and ensembles. It's also a full width 19" rack.

It is possible that this will be a DIY project too but my main aim is to make this one available as a finished item.

Tony
Sounds fantastic Tony, would love a built one
Old 7th August 2017

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Very interested
Old 7th August 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Didn't read through all of the threads and I'm not feeling great today but I wanted to chime in with a chorus effect. Sorry OP it's. It a pedal but it's ruddy good! The BOSS CE-300. The guy who owns this site uses one. Check it out!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Tony
So you'll be selling finished units? Any eta?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So you'll be selling finished units? Any eta?
The plan is for finished units only but I may look into DIY options too. All the PCBs have been designed and tested. I now need to get the proper case design sorted and sourced. I would hope that they should be ready in late Autumn but I've not dealt with case manufacturers before so things may be later than that.

The first prototype is now in the hands of Paul Nagle:

Tony
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
News just in from the man known as Uli B...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer ➑️
We have heard numerous times on GS that people love the original Juno chorus as it is considered one of the best chorus ever built.

Today, I learned that our sister company TC Electronic is in the process of designing an FX pedal that employs the exact same circuitry of the Juno 60 including the BBD chips.

Very exciting!

Uli
Looks like your prayers may be answered soon,
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hopefully CoolAudio will produce new Juno chorus chips, because they seem to be impossible to find nowadays.

I however managed to find the Elkorus and while I can recommend it to anyone I have to say it is a very distinctive effect. Well, choruses often are, but this thing does eq, limiting etc. too. In a way it makes mixing easier, because it is one of those effects that make your synth sound "like a record", but it's not always your go to choice. It's very cool tho.
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Right now I've narrowed search down to the SRE330, Shiva's The Wave (they will sell to US but it's 1000 euros and I have yet to hear it with synths), or a RetroSonic Stereo Chorus (which is a CE clone).
Old 7th August 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Seen the rumour over at Muff's about the SRE330. Can't wait... I need it!!!
Thanks for doing this Tony!!

Cheers//M
πŸ“ Reply