The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post session depression
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Post session depression

Does anyone ever get depressed after a long session? I’ve found that particularly after 5 day or longer sessions, I get depressed. I love working and often am pumped full of adrenaline throughout, so some of it is obviously the physical comedown.
After 20 years I’ve become accustomed to it, so I recognize it and know how to deal, just wondering if it happens to anyone else.
Old 3rd March 2019
It hasn't happened to me, but I did find several articles online where it's been determined that there's a connection between stress and depression.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Could it be that you are becoming emotionally attached to your studio projects? Happened to me...I fixed my psych by switching to mixing live events and am much happier...
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkin ➡️
Does anyone ever get depressed after a long session?
Yeah, kinda. But in my case it's a sort of loneliness. The recording will be great fun, especially if the musicians are good and everything went well (although it's there in a different way if things don't go to plan), but once it's done and everyone leaves, I find it quite sad and lonely on multiple levels.

Is that something similar or are you talking about something completely different. Can you clarify more what you mean?
Old 12th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon K ➡️
Yeah, kinda. But in my case it's a sort of loneliness. The recording will be great fun, especially if the musicians are good and everything went well (although it's there in a different way if things don't go to plan), but once it's done and everyone leaves, I find it quite sad and lonely on multiple levels.

Is that something similar or are you talking about something completely different. Can you clarify more what you mean?
It could be partial loneliness, but I think it’s more a come down from days and days of adrenaline, combined with general goid feelings and vibes with the band. So loneliness could be a factor in that.
Old 8th October 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It sounds ridiculous but it may also be connected to sunlight (Vitamin D) deficiency. It affects our feelings more than most think.
Old 3rd December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gym, videogames, icecream and some herbs after that kind of stuff tends to fix it.
Old 25th February 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I find I often feel down when I finish a big project. Not exactly the same thing, and over the years I've learned to anticipate it. But, after I've put a lot in to seeing something across the finish line, especially when that's required long hours and deep focus, I often get this feeling like "what now?" I find there's so much purpose when my nose is on the grindstone I get feeling kind of lost when that all stops. It usually feels like a lot more effort to start the next one than it did to finish the last one, even though I know that's not the case.
Old 25th February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkin ➡️
I find I often feel down when I finish a big project. Not exactly the same thing, and over the years I've learned to anticipate it. But, after I've put a lot in to seeing something across the finish line, especially when that's required long hours and deep focus, I often get this feeling like "what now?" I find there's so much purpose when my nose is on the grindstone I get feeling kind of lost when that all stops. It usually feels like a lot more effort to start the next one than it did to finish the last one, even though I know that's not the case.
Yes, this is often the case. Saw a great video about this where an excellent piece of advice was given - make sure you have multiple projects to work on that overlap, so that when one is finishing or finished, you don't get incapacitated with post‐post partum depression, don't feel lost, because you have other projects you are in the middle of that take your mind off that.
Old 19th November 2020
Here for the gear

There is one cure that works well for any type of hangover depression and any other hangover symptoms as well: sleep. If you are feeling depressed and also like trash, the chances are that your body is tired. Be sure to rest more than you normally would and give your body and mood a chance to recover from the night before. You can turn off your phone, email, computer, and Facebook, close the blinds and just get some good old-fashioned rest. Just lie in bed, let your eyes close, and get the sleep that you need.

If you're struggling to get some restorative shut-eye, TouchPoints for Sleep can help. TouchPoints are wearable devices that use gentle, alternating micro-vibrations to help you fall asleep - and stay asleep - so your body can get the rest it needs.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkin ➡️
Does anyone ever get depressed after a long session? I’ve found that particularly after 5 day or longer sessions, I get depressed. I love working and often am pumped full of adrenaline throughout, so some of it is obviously the physical comedown.
After 20 years I’ve become accustomed to it, so I recognize it and know how to deal, just wondering if it happens to anyone else.
i wouldn't call it 'being depressed' but rather 'being in a low mood' but yes, especially this year - after endless postponements or reductions in the scope of production - i was not always in the best mood, not even after completing successful projects.

now the question was whether this came from being overworked and/or under****ed, an underactive thyroid, lack of vitamins or sunlight, crisis-related anxiety or whether the mental equilibrium was severely disturbed?!

both my doc and shrink said its gotta be the former - and i found ways to address the underlying issues...

bottom line: maybe better check into it than to play it down!
Old 19th November 2020
Lives for gear

Psd is very real and should be taken seriously.
Old 25th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think its related with andrenaline high whilst on production and creativity...after that is a slide down and andrenal glands get burnout with time...
Old 7th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmago Šmon ➡️
I think its related with andrenaline high whilst on production and creativity...after that is a slide down and andrenal glands get burnout with time...
I’m pretty sure this is the most likely thing going on with me. I tend to be pretty even keeled emotionally, which is why I noticed this happening in the first place. Also, I don’t really do anything else butplay music and record. Everyone always tells me I need a hobby...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…