Quantcast
First serious composition; not happy, need your ears! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First serious composition; not happy, need your ears!
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
First serious composition; not happy, need your ears!

So I recently invested seriously in virtual libraries for the first time (complete composers collection from eastwest and some fabfilter plugins, also izotope ozone) and produced my first composition in years with them. Shortly after making this decision I learned about the bleeding fingers contest and wrote something for it, but I'm lightyears behind 90% of the other contributors. Here's my entry:

https://soundcloud.com/chikkinn/blee...ingers-contest

Following the advice of someone who gets the results I'm after, my workflow was: EQ every instrument, just with HP/LP filters to remove noise/ troublesome frequencies -> group by section (eg strings, brass) -> eq + reverb -> group everything -> eq (mid/side mode, tried to add some depth to the piece) -> then run through nearly everything in Ozone: EQ (notch out troublesome frequencies), exciter, multi-band compressor, stereo imager, and finally the maximizer (limiter).

one really basic problem is a high frequency resonance/distortion sort of thing that i hear on the left side with my monitors and headphones (but my friends clain they couldnt hear it); it only appears after mixdown so i'm not sure how to get rid of it. but more importantly i'm annoyed by the fact that it sounds dull and flat to me, and i don't know why. any advice? thanks for reading!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…