Quantcast
Rock/Rap - FIRST Song (wrote, performed, recorded, mixed) Please comment on the mix! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rock/Rap - FIRST Song (wrote, performed, recorded, mixed) Please comment on the mix!
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Rock/Rap - FIRST Song (wrote, performed, recorded, mixed) Please comment on the mix!

Hey,

Just looking for some feedback. I am a newb.. (Skip past the intro to the more dynamic parts of the mix) Probably did some stuff that is not right like eq'd/ compressed stuff too much. I don't know. I spent a fair amount of time so far mixing this, and changed the guitar eq a million times at every section.

Just looking for some tips or ideas on what people with more experience have to say. I have attached the file!

Let me know

EDIT: added a newer version in latest post
Attached Files

stoptwistedmixtester4mp3.mp3 (4.60 MB, 69 views)

Last edited by animositynow; 1st March 2014 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: added a newer version below
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hey,

Ok I'll bit. Here's some thoughts.

First, I would guess that your monitors and room that you are mixing in is probably not set up to give you and accurate sound. The two best things that I would suggest is A/B your song against other tunes that sound similar in your room…a lot! Then you might wanna pick up some 'Audiophile' head phones like the Sennheiser HD600's or something to mix on. They would eliminate your room and be more accurate than cheap monitors. Remember you are going to make mixing decisions based upon what the room tells you.

First thing I noticed was how the mix sounded narrow and disproportionate. Somethings aren't loud enough and others to loud. Also, you can't have everything panned close to the middle…so work on your panning. Delay on guitar parts can add depth - have the guitar on one side and the delay set to the other side.

Also every instrument can't be 'thick' like the gtr in the intro has way to much low end on it. Remember you only have so much room for low end so use it wisely. Rule of thumb kick and bass are the only things that reside below 125 hz.

You have clipping going on around :45 in.

Keep working on your skills you're headed in the right direction but it takes time and experimenting.

Peace
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Your guitars should fill up/drive the song. They need a lot more mids/presence, and you should double track all rhythm parts and pan them hard left/right (for a start, adjust from there). That will open up a ton of room in the mix.

It takes some time to hear how recorded guitars should sound, vs. how a guitar amp in a room/live situation sounds.
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiking ➡️
Hey,

Ok I'll bit. Here's some thoughts.

First, I would guess that your monitors and room that you are mixing in is probably not set up to give you and accurate sound. The two best things that I would suggest is A/B your song against other tunes that sound similar in your room…a lot! Then you might wanna pick up some 'Audiophile' head phones like the Sennheiser HD600's or something to mix on. They would eliminate your room and be more accurate than cheap monitors. Remember you are going to make mixing decisions based upon what the room tells you.

First thing I noticed was how the mix sounded narrow and disproportionate. Somethings aren't loud enough and others to loud. Also, you can't have everything panned close to the middle…so work on your panning. Delay on guitar parts can add depth - have the guitar on one side and the delay set to the other side.

Also every instrument can't be 'thick' like the gtr in the intro has way to much low end on it. Remember you only have so much room for low end so use it wisely. Rule of thumb kick and bass are the only things that reside below 125 hz.

You have clipping going on around :45 in.

Keep working on your skills you're headed in the right direction but it takes time and experimenting.

Peace
Thanks so much for the insight!

I tried using a delay panned to one side on the guitar and I think it helped with taking away how narrow it was. I also worked with some more EQ and think I have a better version now and I have uploaded it with this post if you wanna listen and comment.

The clipping or clicks and pops I think is occurring because the amount of routing and aux tracks I have going on. I think it is overloading and not processing the audio playback fast enough. Any suggestions to fix this?

New version:
Attached Files

stoptwistedmixtester7mp3.mp3 (4.60 MB, 41 views)

Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The arrangement is the part that needs the most work. It's much easier to mix a good arrangement. Listen to songs similar a steal some ideas . No-one will know !
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…