Quantcast
Muddy Death Metal Mix, Please Help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Muddy Death Metal Mix, Please Help!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Muddy Death Metal Mix, Please Help!

Hey guys, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area, I'm just in dire need right now lol.

Usually I mix like Alt.rock, Rap Metal, Rap, Acoustic, a little country, but this is my first Death Metal job. Usually I avoid these, I love the genre, but It's pretty hard to mix, for myself at least, but I really could use the money and people really seem to like my work so I took the job. I only charged this band 10 bucks a song because I was pretty sure I'd drop the ball, but am trying my hardest to get it to sound decent.

Anyway. This is how everything was recorded, I have a lot of gear that crapped on me, so I'm making due with my budget, like I usually have to.

Drums:
I used just one Condenser overhead mic and focused on getting the Cymbals. I know it's prob. the stupidest thing you ever heard for death metal, but sadly my multi-track mixer died out and I am stuck with a 1 input/channel mixer.
For the kick, I completely Eq'd out any kick and added a sample from my library
For the Snare, I triggered using the snare from the drummer's kit, but just EQ'd out his snare the best I could and just used the trigger.

Bass:
Used a vintage Peavy Bass Amp.
I have the clean take, and then I duplicated it to make a distortion track
I eq'd and compressed it, and thats about it for effects

Guitar:
I literally tried to get the guitarist to do layers, but his playing is so horribly off. So I'm trying to make due with the one take, duplicating it, and panning one 50 L and one 50 R.
I eq'd and compressed it, and thats about it for effects.

Vocals: I used my Audio-technica AT2020, Eq'd, compressed, a little reverb and delay, even a tad bit of Chorus to make it thicker.

My guess is the "mud" that is getting me, is due to the guitar, maybe I'm Eq'ing something wrong or over compressing, but the other side of me says it's the bass.

here's a 18 second snippet of it (since I mix death metal in sections, this is all I have so far) I'd suggest downloading the snippet for best quality, Soundcloud hates my mp3's lol.

https://soundcloud.com/testingforsou...decracked-copy

Sorry if this is overlong, and over detailed, or again in the wrong spot, but I appreciate any constructive feedback and suggestions given! Thank you.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…