Quantcast
Punk Rock Demo, - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Punk Rock Demo,
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Punk Rock Demo,

Hi, I would like some advice/thoughts on my mix. I'm always looking to get better at recording so if you have any advice, tips, tricks, recommendations I would really appreciate it. I built a very small recording space in exactly half of my garage the room is approximately 11x22 feet. I do everything in this one room, tracking, mixing, cheap attempts at mastering. It's a hobby.

So what do you think on a scale of 1 to 10? 10 being good.

Thanks
Steve
Attached Files

Breaking Down Master 1.mp3 (1.89 MB, 188 views)

Push me down Master 1.mp3 (3.08 MB, 124 views)

Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump to get better, any thoughts or advice?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds great man I like it. punk feel is there.!! right on keep the good work.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Patrick,

I took a different approach to this mix then I usually do. Everyone that has heard it in our circle seems to like it, but I don't know if they're just saying that to save our feelings. I figured here on GS people would not hold back and I'd get more of an honest answer. We are a Chicago band that plays the underground circuit, we are new and gigging around the city. I figured a good demo would be cool to pass out.

Does anyone know if a HW - Clariphonic on the 2 buss would make this mix way / any better?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my pleasure. yep I guess it might need a little bit of brightness which this awesome tool looks like to good guy for the job
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Good punk stuff! Couple things I noticed:

-the kick drum sounds great, but the rest of the drums seemed to get a lost a little on me. I think some panning and volume adjustments to the toms/snare/OH could fix that.
-mix as a whole could use a little more 'enhancement' EQ-wise. I agree with patrick81 for adding a touch of brightness.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Very cool tracks. You guys have a Swingin' Utters/Leftover Crack kinda vibe.

My suggestions:

-The lead vocal level sounds a little inconsistent. Try compressing them a bit more, and maybe automating them.

-The lead vocals and group vocals sound like they could use a little more high end.

-The high hat is a little too loud. Not sure how it was recorded, but if possible, I would try bringing it down a bit, and maybe panning it elsewhere.

Sounds great so far, man!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks

Cool thanks guys, I agree and will consider all your suggestions on my next attempt. I can turn the hats down for sure, and I can add some more eq with higher frequencies. I did compress the vocals. However, I did not automate the lead vocals. I pretty much tracked it and did one mix. My cheap attempt at mastering is the logic multi-pressor on the 2 buss. I actually rolled back some of the higher frequencies because I wanted to sound more analog'ish, I did not want it to sound digitally harsh. I probably need to go back and add exactly what I took away. Go figure. I'll see how that goes and maybe post the new version if it works out.

Thanks again.

it was recorded in logic 8, at 44.1
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New mix.

Here it is I did a second mix and had it mastered. I'm happy with it and learned a lot along the way.
Attached Files

breaking_down_320.mp3 (3.74 MB, 91 views)

push_me_down_320.mp3 (6.11 MB, 72 views)

Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I think it sounds exactly how a punk rock demo should, nice job
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Solid job to start. Great job on the second mix and master.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…