Weathervane Multitracks - Steven A. Clark - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weathervane Multitracks - Steven A. Clark
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Weathervane Multitracks - Steven A. Clark

Hi Folks!

I'm pleased to announce that the very first episode of Shaking Through Volume 4, featuring an amazing new R&B singer named Steven A. Clark is live. Since we previewed it here last Saturday, Spin Magazine asked if we'd hold the release so they could Premier it. This is a great episode!

The curator was Chris Swanson. He is the founder of Secretly Canadian Records, and part owner in Jagjaguwar and Dead Oceans Records. (You may also remember Chris's brother Ben who curated our June 2011 episode with Dreamers of the Ghetto.) His selection, Steven A. Clark, is from Fayetteville NC and currently lives and makes music in Miami FL. For the recording of the song "Bounty", Steven was joined by The War on Drugs David Hartley and Robbie Bennett (on bass and keyboards respectively) and our good old buddy, Christopher Powell of Man Man (who curated December's Grant$ episode and played along with Sufjan Stevens in Cat Martino's episode in 2012). On backup vocals we enlisted the help of Becca Kauffman and Felicia Douglass of Brooklyn's Ava Luna from June 2012 episode. Lastly, I produced the song, and Jonathan Low engineered and mixed it.

The basic was recorded to Miner Street's 2 inch 16 track Ampex MM1200 tape machine. There wasn't a huge number of instruments on this recording, but the original tracks clocked in to something like 7 minutes 30 seconds, before we cut it dramatically. What does that mean? Well…. for one thing there's a LOT of extra music for you to play with. You may keep things we didn't or chop it down even further?

Very Important:
When you remix the track, please name and credit the file like this:

"Bounty" by Steven A. Clark
Unofficial Remix by YOUR NAME)
Recorded for Weathervane Music's Shaking Through
Vol. 4, Episode 1

People who signed up as Weathervane beta members will receive links to the Hi-res audio in your inbox. PLEASE SPECIFY IF YOUR MIX IS MADE FROM THE HIGH-RES AUDIO FILES!

Love,

B

SHAKING THROUGH
STEVEN A. CLARK: BOUNTY
MULTI-TRACKS | MIX-STEMS | TRACK SHEET | EPISODE PAGE + VIDEOS| WEATHERVANE DRUM MICING METHOD VIDEO

Steven A. Clark singing into the Neumann U67

David Hartley of The War on Drugs playing the Eastwood Sidejack Baritone Deluxe

Robbie Bennet of The War on Drugs on synths

Christopher Powell of Man Man on drums
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bounty by Steven A. Clark Unofficial Remix by OCDSound

Rough first stab with no automation yet (from the hi-res audio files.) Killer track from an amazing artist, Brian.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
A sort-of Gothic mix; it suits me. Done with the low-res files.

''Bounty'' by Steven A. Clark (Unofficial Remix by BlackFandango).mp3
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Besides a few errors/cutoff waves in the audio, I think this was one of the best Weathervane tracks to date. Cheers!
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hello! Here's my mix from this tune. This is probably one the darkest mixes I've ever done. When I watched the preview, the mood of the song was immediately taking me to retro sounds. I listened to some Amy Winehouse before starting mixing this track.

Here's some feedback to other mixes.

nimblemongoose:

I think the mix is lacking some midrange overall. It feels like I've accidentally engaged a some sort of loudness button from my stereo's. Cutting about 10 dBs of high end with a shelf around 12k and boosting about 5 dBs around 900 Hz with a very wide bell reveals a very nicely balanced mix here.

Jamolir:

No-string intro is Genious!!

There might be just tad too much low end overall. I'd suggest perhaps cutting some out of piano or perhaps lower the bass volume. I'm also having a sensation that the piano is overpowering the drums slightly. But otherwise I think you've got a very nice mix.

BlackFandango:

I fell that some of the lead vocal esses stand out. Especially when the rest of the mix is kept nicely dark. While I'm digging the (lack of) high end, I feel this mix might benefit from some presence in the form of added upper mid range. If I give a wide bell boost of 3 dBs around 2 kHz all the elements become very clear and I discerning the lyrics much better. I'd also suggest taking some fundamentals out especially from the male backing vocals; the lead singer has a deep dark voice and stacking even few tracks of him without some low end management fills up the low mids.
Attached Files
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here's my try. Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/conman57/boun...steven-a-clark
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I also felt the retro vibe in this track. I started out with an attempt to go for a James Bond opening theme song with this...not sure I pulled it off. Anyways, here's my try:

This was made using the high-res files. Thanks Brian, for making this happen.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bounty - Unofficial Remix by Pietrorocks

Hi everybody!
What a great track! I've really enjoyed putting my hands on this multitracks. Really good recorded (as usual at Weathervane), the perfect start for a mix
This is my mix of the song, I don't think I got the Hi-Res files.

Cheers

Bounty | Pietromusic
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
This song was a pleasure to mix. Steven A Clark is a wonderful singer. I hope to hear more of him. To all the musicians and engineers great job everyone . Awesome production . I love the BGV's .Thank you for sharing ...

All the best
Marcel

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71083475/%2...ode%201%20.mp3

Hi Res files I think..
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Here's my attempt. Tightened up the drums and bass a tad, and made judicious use of my favorite analog plugin McDSP's AC102 to give it some mojo. Kinda dark, but let the BGVs thru to add some brightness. Really a great song. Enjoyed working on it.

Chris
Attached Files
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bent

Straight
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Totally awesome guys... since we previewed this episode here last Saturday, Spin Magazine asked to Premier the release! Check out their review!

Love
B
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear ➑️
Totally awesome guys... since we previewed this episode here last Saturday, Spin Magazine asked to Premier the release! Check out their review!

Love
B
Hey Brian. Congrats on this episode and the Spin feature. This is a killer song, artist, production, record, period. I'm looking forward to having a go at the mix next week.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bounty remixed by me...

That was fun to mix. Great recording made mixing easy.
My version. Hope you like it.

I had to remix the song, there was some pop/cracking sounds and my monitor room is not treated yet. Concrete walls and floor etc. Tried to use headphones and listen in another environment as well.

BTW. No pre mixed stems. 54 channels on the mixer.

Sounds good now I think.
Cheers

Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Check it out! :)

My mix of this cool song!

Enjoy

Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the opportunity again guys. This one took me out of my comfort zone a bit (my EQ's were looking pretty unusual).
I had a lot of fun making the distorted drums about three minutes in.
Used Hi-res files.

-Paige
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63550885/Ste...ouseReMix).mp3 I mixed this track like if it was performed, to me that was better then cutting it up, I like the extra stuff that was there so I made it EP. Hope u like it was mixed in ear buds my monitors wont come in till febuary, can't wait.

Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzspritz ➑️
Thanks for the opportunity again guys. This one took me out of my comfort zone a bit (my EQ's were looking pretty unusual).
I had a lot of fun making the distorted drums about three minutes in.
Used Hi-res files, exported to 44.1/16.

-Paige
Nice Paige. On the laptop, the vocal is a bit separated from the mix. I like the distorted drums!
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuke ➑️
Bent

Straight
What? No video?

I like this a lot... as usual. Please be a part of the Q&A this weekend? I think we need to move it to Sunday. We've got a Weathervane Production Workshop on Saturday.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Weathervane Method of drum micing...

Did you guys see this? Would love to know thoughts.

https://vimeo.com/58215617
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Nice track.

https://soundcloud.com/billcammack/s...ll-cammack-mix
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years

Here's my mix, really fun track. Done using the hi-res stems.

Questions/comments appreciated.

-e.B
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks again for a great track.

Here is my mix using the raw tracks. Please let me know what you guys think so I can improve.

Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've Mixed a few Shaking Through projects in the past, this is my first time sharing. I decided to give the track a little grittiness and replaced the drums with my own programmed drums. Kept it simple as to the raw tracks I used. Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/edella/bounty...-clark-shaking
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Pretty neat song! Thanks again for posting these.

i went with a more minimalistic approach.

It would mean a ton to get feedback/opinions/comments/critiques on the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/mygenuine/bou...en-a-clark-rar
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
first let me say i'm listening on cheap ear buds and cpu speakers i'm not speaking from a high dollar studio but from what most people will be listing from...there home cpu or mp3 player, which hides your sense of dimension and brings the vocals out further than mixed from monitors.

minko.kalsbeek
dont be afraid to push your music harder against the vocals, and let your drums breath more. try some parallel comp instead of directly on the set its self.

edella
I like your ideas but i wouldn't have drum exchange, they were good drums given, don't fix what isn't broken. the highs were a bit piercing but overall good mix for your first post, it was better than my first

RARStudios
I like yours and edellas intro I thought of doing that first till i heard the bleed in the end and use that, but both u guys did the intro with piano good. I love your 3D drums they're the highlight of the mix, but i think the lead vox got away from you. I like your stereo fx it was subtle.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmctear ➑️
Did you guys see this? Would love to know thoughts.

https://vimeo.com/58215617
I've tried the recorderman technique (but haven't used a third mic as shown in this video). I do enjoy it but I'd like to discuss the repercussions that come with forcing the snare to be in the center of the image. Perhaps they are good repercussions though. It seems that everything else will have its own phasing issues with this technique. Toms and cymbals will reach all the mic capsules at different times now. I actually enjoy the wide phasey-ness of the toms in these recordings, but I guess I'd watch out for cymbals phasing. But if you can't hear it, I guess you're in the clear.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Spede, mix is really dark, not bad just dark.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey everyone,
This is my first time posting in the forum, although I have mixed some of the older songs. I really liked this track, possibly my favorite. Feedback is welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/velvet-ant/bo...ark-unofficial
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey ReZoUnd....

Thanks for doing this. Your feedback is great. We all totally appreciate it here!

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZoUnD ➑️
first let me say i'm listening on cheap ear buds and cpu speakers i'm not speaking from a high dollar studio but from what most people will be listing from...there home cpu or mp3 player, which hides your sense of dimension and brings the vocals out further than mixed from monitors.

minko.kalsbeek
dont be afraid to push your music harder against the vocals, and let your drums breath more. try some parallel comp instead of directly on the set its self.

edella
I like your ideas but i wouldn't have drum exchange, they were good drums given, don't fix what isn't broken. the highs were a bit piercing but overall good mix for your first post, it was better than my first

RARStudios
I like yours and edellas intro I thought of doing that first till i heard the bleed in the end and use that, but both u guys did the intro with piano good. I love your 3D drums they're the highlight of the mix, but i think the lead vox got away from you. I like your stereo fx it was subtle.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…