Mix critique - bluesy rock track - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix critique - bluesy rock track
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mix critique - bluesy rock track

Hey,

After some critique on the mix of this song I've gradually recorded over the last month or so. I'm also playing the guitar. Any feedback on the performances would be greatly appreciated as well, as re tracking a part is an option if there is something obvious that I'm missing. Please let me know if you'd like any info on any aspect of the recording.

UPDATE : end product - Culture Train by rory_221 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thanks in advance
Rory
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Updated with a revised mix
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Updated again, would really love some feedback.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini logo ➑️
Updated again, would really love some feedback.
Wet up those damn vocals.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini logo ➑️
Hey,

After some critique on the mix of this song I've gradually recorded over the last month or so. I'm also playing the guitar. Any feedback on the performances would be greatly appreciated as well, as re tracking a part is an option if there is something obvious that I'm missing. Please let me know if you'd like any info on any aspect of the recording.

Thanks in advance
Rory
Hey Rory,

I really like the performances.

Regarding the mix which is really not bad – but to me the vocal is not import and sexy enough. The rhythm guitar on the left is a bit too important. Same with the lead organ which should come up when it plays a lead role but got a bit the attention stolen from the left guitar. Overall I feel there could be a little bit more lowend, perhaps rather blend the elements than separate them.
Again it sound probably more dramatic than it is – the mix is good!

Cheers,
Andy
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Great, thanks a lot. I've taken what you've both said on board and have posted an updated version, would be appreciated if could check it out and let me know what you think.

I put a bit more thought into riding the vocal level into the compressor and boosted a bit of 5k for more presence. I changed the vocal reverb to a room type and added a bit more, also sending a bit to the drum verb.

I definitely agree with you about the left guitar in that last mix - I've taken it down a reasonable amount.

I also added some more 60hz to the kick and boosted lows and around 400-700hz on the bass to give a bit more definition. Thanks again.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds and feels definitely better to me. Take care of the esses on the vocals when you boost upper mids.

If you want more deepth and dimension on the vocals in a rather unobvious manner you may try sending it to different reverbs. Just a little bit here and there does often the trick. Perhaps try a longer chamber or plate with a smaller reflective room. It's a bit of experimenting at first.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Have uploaded the original post with a Soundcloud link to the finished song if anyone's interested!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…