The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DJSoul 'My Heart Holds On'
Old 16th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
DJSoul 'My Heart Holds On'

Hey all,

I'm new here so nice to meet you all!

I guess I should start with an introduction, firstly I've been a DJ for a 'lot' longer than I have been a producer and have made some tracks previously using mainly samples, starting with CoolEdit and then using FL Studio.

I've always wanted to learn how to write and produce music 'properly' however due to 3 kids, an ex wife, dog, a full time job, DJing and little spare money or time have never been able to.

I've recently been made redundant and thought that If I dont try now then I probably never would so I invested what little redundancy money I had in setting up a small home studio and for the past hmm 6 weeks have been 24/7 learning about this.

I'm using Logic 9 with a Carillon midi keyboard and an AT 2020 Condenser mic, that's about it

This is the first track that I've written, produced and played all the instruments etc on.
(I'm using 2 small samples a sax and trumpet that I simply couldn't resist!)

I don't class myself as a singer and have never sang lead on a track before, this songs about a lost love that I simply can't seem to get over, no matter how hard I try and is from my heart, I guess I'm just trying to express this.

I've been learning about compression etc and have used some on my vocals, and have put a HPF on everything except the drums and bass. I'm in Arrange mode and think I'm just about ready to mix and then (learn how to) master it.

I've little (or no idea) on sends and returns yet and have only used the basic rvrb and delay busses so still have lots to learn.

As I'm sure you know when working on a song it gets easy to not listen objectively, especially if this song means a lot to you personally.

So..I'd appreciate it if you could take a listen and offer some constructive feedback, also any tips on the arrange>>mix>>master process would be useful to me.

Thanks and I really hope you like it.

Soul

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…