Quantcast
CCM/Soft Rock Mixing feedback appreciated! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CCM/Soft Rock Mixing feedback appreciated!
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
CCM/Soft Rock Mixing feedback appreciated!

Hi guys,

It's been a few years since I did any recording; started about 12 years ago as a teenager, with very variable results; but I learnt the basics (and no doubt picked up some terrible habits)!

Then learnt a little more about 5 years ago when playing with a band. I'm now hoping to get back into it a little bit.

I'm firmly in the low-end category, but would like to achieve the best with the very modest investment I've made in recording gear.

I have invested in the following items:

Apogee Duet
Logic Pro
Waves L2
Superior Drummer
sE Electronics SE2000
AT MB2K

Fortunately I've splashed out a little more on decent instruments, so I should have decent source sounds coming in.

I'd love to hear any feedback you would have on the following mix, and any tips I could have. I have been particularly struggling with mixing vocals. This is probably the best of the three tracks I have done recently for that, but feel there is still some way to go. At least it's a lot better than what I was doing 10 years ago!!! Progress

Here's the link - it's a YouTube video I'm afraid, but the sound quality is acceptable enough on the HD link, I think.

It's a cover of a Christian song - as a disclaimer!!!

Thank you so much,
Tim

Last edited by wydsiwyrg; 15th September 2012 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Embed Youtube
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Anyone got a moment to give me some advice? Particularly on the vocals, but any other feedback too! Thanks!
Old 12th October 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Tim,

Good stuff man. So cool to see you proclaiming Jesus unashamed.

The mix you have sounds good. Your arrangement is balanced and the recording is clean and clear. Well done

What was the process you used to mix this track? That may give a better idea as to what you could do make it better.

As far as the vocal, I would compress the vocal quite a bit to keep it "in your face" a little more. (Compression will help the dynamics of the vocal stay consistent. It won't be so quiet on certain parts.
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thank you for the feedback! I had actually pulled the compression back on the vocal to about 4.5:1, I really fear losing the dynamic range and even that felt quite harsh!

The mix technique I used was highly unscientific! I have a background in live sound, so I simply built up the mix as I would, drums first, then bass, then guitars, then vocals, then keys, then tweak, tweak again. All bussed out of course etc.

My latest recording, "Beautiful One", also on my YouTube, I used Skip Burrows ITB recommendations and found it lent a much cleaner mix.

I am still mixing on cheap headphones and so particular worried that I'm overcompensating in certain frequencies and also smashing the mix to bits with the master limiter.

Thanks again!
Tim
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…