Weathervane Multitracks - Secret Mountains - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weathervane Multitracks - Secret Mountains
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
New Mix

Hi,

Attached is a MP3 of the mix I did for a class project. Any and all tips welcomed.

Final Mix, Derran Williams (Entire) by Derran W. on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

It's been Series 1 since I've had time to do one of these. Been doing a lot more remixing since tho.

I used the multitracks, and no sounds other than those. It's a little noisy, glitchy, and longer... if a song's not good enough to listen to for 10 minutes, what good is it, really?

Oh, and if every person on this thread hasn't donated to the kick starter, get your asses over and do it!

s
Old 26th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Late to the Party

Here's my mix.... I would love some feedback, totally in love with this whole operation, as an Audio Engineer student at Webster University I find this extremely helpful!!

for some reason it says track is not available

http://soundcloud.com/aachafin/secre...ins-high-horse
Old 26th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Auctioneer Mix

Just finished the Auctioneer mix feedback would be sweet!
Thanks

And again I don't know why it says the track is unavailable....

Old 27th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aachafin ➡️
Here's my mix....
I think it's not showing up cause you didn't enable the widget. It's public, cause I can click through, but the embed won't work until you allow widget.

I feel like I should always preface my feedback as being aesthetic. It's a good mix.

Perhaps the guitar lines could be louder? Seems like they are below the synths which I thought more like a bed.

And maybe the snare 'verb isn't quite right? Is it the same as the vocal verb? Perhaps a blend - some room plus what you've got there (plate?)

It almost feels like the vox could be a touch louder too. Or that could just be me.

...And you should probably trim the top and tail a little closer. Even if it's not mastered, just for demos.

-s

P.S. Oh yeah, it'd be nice to hear some reasoning behind the editorial choices you made. Were there some tracks you decided to leave out?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerWil ➡️
Hi,

Attached is a MP3 of the mix I did for a class project. Any and all tips welcomed.
Good start. I think overall, you should be sure to listen to the interplay of instruments - the two guitar parts and the two pianos are all interconnected and come in and out... Make sure you can hear them all work together. Seems like the balance issues could be worked out from there.

You could also use some wider imaging - be that from panning the different instruments or using effects with a little wider effect.

s
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 ➡️
Hey!

Had some time to play, so my mix is below. Fun song, really cool vibe, and nice recording!
Good vibe... kept the excitement in the mix. Good balance - except maybe too much snare?

Is that snare replaced? I think I was a fan of the more relaxed sound that was in the tracks I heard... That may be the only part that's bugging me.

s
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Mitch ➡️
hey there, i know i'm a little late on this but sandy forced us new yorkers to be inside for a few days and this was cooked up.
Yeah, that's fun. Thanks for that.

What are you using for your vox effect?

s
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmoose ➡️
Here's my mix. No mastering. I had lots of fun with this & I hope I did my adopted hometown of Baltimore some justice.
Nice - some good elements in there. I like the soupy vox verb and I like the odd snare predelay/slap verb. Something about them, though makes me think they should be in two different mixes. Like if you're going for dreamy, then put the snare in a space more similar to the vox... or if you're going for indie quirk, then dry the vox up a little.

And so many folk are leaving those guitar lines so far down? I'm curious why that might be.

I think I'd also feel a little more comfortable listening to this with the pads a little more balanced left to right. There's ways to have some balance but keep a wide image - try experimenting with some, especially since this had so many good mono pads in it.

s

Oh, and TRIM the bounces!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvdbroek ➡️
Here is my one.

A.
Nice - what are you using for the verbs? Sounds like a mix of a few things.

Even with the etherial mix, my only feedback would be that I'd like to hear a little more of the drums. Sounds great tho, and good editorial choices. (Even though I went the opposite direction!)

s
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLD ➡️
I had to give this one a try, love that song! I had a hard time making the guitars sit right, any suggestions are very welcome.
Good solid mix. Good balance. Not sure what to say about the guitars. I think yours are good. I did a fair amount of HPF and harmonic processing, but that was more for feel than balance.

Did you EQ the tom at all? Could be just a little boomier than the rest of the kit masking the bass a little?

-s
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Sparrow ➡️
Here's my offering this time around. I tried to re-imagine the track, crossfading passages to create new chord changes.
Enjoyed this one. You didn't enable downloads? Don't want us keeping your mix around? I'd put this one in my ipod rotation if I could.

-s
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwilson ➡️
I think it's not showing up cause you didn't enable the widget. It's public, cause I can click through, but the embed won't work until you allow widget.

I feel like I should always preface my feedback as being aesthetic. It's a good mix.

Perhaps the guitar lines could be louder? Seems like they are below the synths which I thought more like a bed.

And maybe the snare 'verb isn't quite right? Is it the same as the vocal verb? Perhaps a blend - some room plus what you've got there (plate?)

It almost feels like the vox could be a touch louder too. Or that could just be me.

...And you should probably trim the top and tail a little closer. Even if it's not mastered, just for demos.

-s

P.S. Oh yeah, it'd be nice to hear some reasoning behind the editorial choices you made. Were there some tracks you decided to leave out?

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah the volume adjustments on guitar and synth could help, and great ear on the reverb, yeah I used the same verb on most of the tracks, the only two differences was "hall", and "plate" choices within the same plugin.

I heard that other tracks have "lead guitar" in their mixes and my raw tracks download didn't have that in the bundle.... sooo yeah
Old 23rd December 2012
Old 1st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Even with the etherial mix, my only feedback would be that I'd like to hear a little more of the drums. Sounds great tho, and good editorial choices. (Even though I went the opposite direction!)

s
Thanks Scott. I will check yours out.
Yes, it definitely needs more drums.. Not sure how I did that...
So I just went and pumped the drums a little. Check it out. They still aren't 'loud' though.

I have a 'car park' verb on the voice,
'scoring stage' on the piano, and a few room verbs around the place.

A.
Attached Files
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

s
Hi Scott,

Wow, you have put alot of effort into your one!
I feel like the drum verb could breathe a bit more. You have set up such an interesting space in the long intro with the reverse items etc, but the drums tend to 'pull it all in' at that very important moment in the song.

There are some great moments in the break down, well done.

The compression at the end is too much for me. Is that some big side-chain you have there? Its a little obvious for me.

A.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the feedback - It's been a while for me, I'll have to go back and listen. I doubt I'll disagree on much. I do hit the compressors pretty hard sometimes.

And thanks for the verb detail on yours.

-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvdbroek ➡️
Hi Scott,

Wow, you have put alot of effort into your one!
I feel like the drum verb could breathe a bit more. You have set up such an interesting space in the long intro with the reverse items etc, but the drums tend to 'pull it all in' at that very important moment in the song.

There are some great moments in the break down, well done.

The compression at the end is too much for me. Is that some big side-chain you have there? Its a little obvious for me.

A.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Loved this song. Here is my mixdown:

Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
High Horse

A very nice song to mix. I gave it my best and I hope you like it.

BTW. No pre mixed stems. 42 channels on the mixer.

Cheers.
Johan Sae-Thao

Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
What a great tune! Unfortunately, I downloaded the mix stems rather than the multitracks, durrrr...

I'll get the multitracks downloaded today but for now here's what came up with.

Old 4th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Digitaly Mastered, please if someone can confirm better audio.

I tried to go for a digital master version. I really tried to use my eyes more then my ears. Checking and analyzing the full spectra of bandwidth, using mutch harder compression/limiter. Comparing to cd´s I like. Please if someone using good monitors, does it sound good? Still my mix though. You can compare before and after mastering.

Final mix.

Final mix and digitaly mastered.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj ➡️
I tried to go for a digital master version. I really tried to use my eyes more then my ears. Checking and analyzing the full spectra of bandwidth, using mutch harder compression/limiter. Comparing to cd´s I like. Please if someone using good monitors, does it sound good? Still my mix though. You can compare before and after mastering.

Final mix.

Final mix and digitaly mastered.
Not sure about the mastering... The source was -20dB average RMS and the master was -19dB... (The peaks are actually higher by a half dB or so in the pre-master) What were your goals in the mastering process? What were you using as reference?

For the mix, however, I'm not a fan of the kick/snare sound. It's a little too basketball sounding where I think the original was a little more laid back indie. The vocals and drums are kind of stomping on the other instruments. Obviously, these are aesthetic decisions you made, not technical problems, so take that for what it's worth.

-s
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not sure about the mastering... The source was -20dB average RMS and the master was -19dB... (The peaks are actually higher by a half dB or so in the pre-master) What were your goals in the mastering process? What were you using as reference?

For the mix, however, I'm not a fan of the kick/snare sound. It's a little too basketball sounding where I think the original was a little more laid back indie. The vocals and drums are kind of stomping on the other instruments. Obviously, these are aesthetic decisions you made, not technical problems, so take that for what it's worth.

-s
Yeah the mix is a choise I made, sound wise. The master idea was just a try to optimise and even out the dynamics and freq, without make it flat or distorted. My monitoring is very limited so the help is appreciated. Thanks for your time and crit.
Regards
Johan
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The master idea was just a try to optimise and even out the dynamics and freq, without make it flat or distorted.
I don't think the premaster needed too much of that. The dynamics weren't too crazy, nor were there any frequencies jumping out at me that were too offensive. (maybe the tambourine brightness?)

MP3 @ 320k is close, but still messes with some of the HF extension, so maybe there's something there that I'm not hearing, but anything that I'd have changed as a mastering engineer is probably stuff that I'd have asked the mix engineer to do a second pass on before I did anything.

-s
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
BTW My value is not same. I use AES17 and my average RMS value is -13.41dB on the mp3 file and -13.4dB on my wav file. Thats strange.
I changed it into 12db as average rms insted of 13.4.
Cheers
Johan
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Late to the party

Hi guys,

Here is my version of this amazing song, fell free to comment

P.S. thanks for the great multi-tracks!!
Attached Files
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Not just a re-mix, it´s a new un-official production of this song.

I made a new re-mix and production of this song. Dont use all the default tracks anymore. Re-amped the guitars. Drove the piano thru a lfo filter etc.
I made it to a dark electro pop song insted.
A re-mix for the insane people, like me

I changed my monitors, using my Yamaha NS-20i insted. Easier to adjust mid-range levels.

Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I won't have a chance to listen today, but I like the way you are thinking about this, DJMJ... Take it apart and put it back together in some new way.

Quote:
I made a new re-mix and production of this song. Dont use all the default tracks anymore. Re-amped the guitars. Drove the piano thru a lfo filter etc.
I made it to a dark electro pop song insted.
A re-mix for the insane people, like me

I changed my monitors, using my Yamaha NS-20i insted. Easier to adjust mid-range levels.

Old 28th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Finally got around to doing a mix for this dreamy indie pop song.
Old 6th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre ➡️
anyone know the bpm? i don't see it listed in the trk notes
Traktor detected the Click Track at 126.052
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…