Quantcast
Weathervane Multitracks - Secret Mountains - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weathervane Multitracks - Secret Mountains
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi!
Thanks for this great song! Lots of fun to mix! Any feedback is welcome and appreciated as well!

Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjonlow ➑️
Wizedo, I think that's one of THE most valuable parts of this resource is exactly that. You can hear the tracks in it's different stages, from tracking to final mix, and see how each element interacts in context. Individual sound clips are fine, but it's really about how it comes together.

I don't usually boost at all on overheads, and on the way in if the Massive Passive was in, it was just to hipass and cut some low mid. The Elam 260's are some of the smoothest condensors I've ever heard so maybe it was straight from the source. But then again, one man's harsh might be another's mellow.

Jon
Jon, apologetically i must say that "harsh" is not fair and not exactly what i meant. "Crisp" is more accurate but still, it' s just the hi-hat which, as a general and personal preference, i like 'em smooth.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your recordings.

Ed.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Attached Files
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the chance to mix these songs!! The tracks are so nice. Here is a ruff one. I hope you like it. Due to my living situation this is mixed entirely on headphones (I haven't even heard this song on the monitors yet).
-e

I still have much learnin' to do. Thanks for the practice!!!
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well, here is my version. I think I'm getting better at it, but constructive criticism is welcome.

I think I'd benefit from learning how to automate things in my daw... There are a few examples I think illustrate this perfectly. Anyone like what I did with the tom?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Not taking it serious, a bit of amateur fun. 10-15 minutes in the box. Just following my ears on my crappy no name headphones I have at home. First use of the Kramer tape plug on the master, in front of an l1 stereo limiter with maximiser. Kramer vox plug on main vox.
Some soundtoys on two other vox. Multiband comp on the drums with some saturation. Bass and guitar are guitar rig. Love me some "two on the street". Juno has an API plug.
Thats about it I think. I kept all the tracks at -20 and used the plugs to mix. Left plenty room then used the l1 and Kramer tape to round things off. I could have left it without the limiter actually. Maybe I should have. Just having fun. Probably sounds crap through decent monitors cus I've mixed it to Β£5 headphones. I'll have another go when I'm in a studio in a few weeks in a treated room on some Adams. Can't wait. Great song, great vocals. Really nice vocals. It's such a pleasure to have some fun with some quality material. Well recorded good musicians and great gear. All good stuff here. Glad I signed up.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.machete ➑️
Not taking it serious, a bit of amateur fun. 10-15 minutes in the box. Just following my ears on my crappy no name headphones I have at home. First use of the Kramer tape plug on the master, in front of an l1 stereo limiter with maximiser. Kramer vox plug on main vox.
It doesn't sound as bad on good monitors as you might expect. One thing I noticed your mix that I liked was the piano track. The original (chords) piano track was pretty bassy, and most every mix posted thus far is bass heavy, but yours is not. In a way I feel like a large part of the low end of the song comes from that, but I think it suits the song better to focus on the mids/highs. Check out my mix and see what you think, I did the same thing with it there:

Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcrisis ➑️
It doesn't sound as bad on good monitors as you might expect. One thing I noticed your mix that I liked was the piano track. The original (chords) piano track was pretty bassy, and most every mix posted thus far is bass heavy, but yours is not. In a way I feel like a large part of the low end of the song comes from that, but I think it suits the song better to focus on the mids/highs. Check out my mix and see what you think, I did the same thing with it there:

Cool, I think I used a signature waves plug on the piano. I also duplicated it and lowered the duplicate with a different pan than the first. Good to know it doesn't sound terrible. Although that is probably to do with the great tracking! Il check your mix out in the morning dude with my coffee! Sleep awaits its 2:30am ive been up chopping the amen break again! Ha.

sent from the future
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Never done anything like this before. This was a lot of fun.

I really wanted to bring those cool drums forward. I've never worked with vocals before though, so this was a nice song to practice with. I like the whole dreamy mood throughout the song too, so I tried to bring that feeling through with the guitar part at the end.

Cool band; thanks for posting the tracks.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Here is my mix
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcrisis ➑️

Hi Jazz. Had a listen there, sounding good, for me it doesn't sound full enough though. I'd round off the bass and bring the vocals up and have a return with a plug to fill the vocal send out in the mids sitting on a softer bass. Keys and drums sound good. But again I'm at home on my cans so I can't say anything for sure. What did you do with the vocals?
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This is mine, but i will quit a little bite of gain hoho
HIGH HORSE by Oosfera on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Secret Mountain x King Beats MIX

Hey just Got down from doing live sound and straight to this i hope you like it let me know any feedback and any interest in future mixing.....Secret Mountain- High Horse- KING BEATS MIX1 by kingbeatsbest1 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

R.P.C
kingbeatsbest1's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

InSTAGRAM:#AintNObodyBETTA
#AintNObodyBETTAsays
#Ni66asWitBackPACKS
#Ni99asWitBACKpacks
#TisaTesLAGang
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Had a lot of fun with this one! So much space to mess around with cool ambiences and effects. Thanks Weathervane!

Any comments or critique are always appreciated.

Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Secret Mountain - High Horse (Mixursound Mix)

Enjoy!
Attached Files
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi all!

Thought of sharing my mix, just click here to be redirected.

Thanks and any helpful remark is welcome.

Andrea
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Folks!

Just wanted to pipe in and say "WOW". You guys do really run with this! Holy Moly. I just updated the original post with the mix Jon Low did, as well as links for Mix Stems.

You all rule! THanks so much for digging in, doing great work and helping out your friends with your comments!

We're going to be launching a membership program for all this next year. The idea is to bring together this little growing community in a more organized fashion, and hopefully raise some money, too. There'll definitely be a free level, of course, as always!

Thanks again guys!

Love,

B
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What a cool song! As usual, excellent recording and technical prowess.

virtually no corrective EQ on this track except for gentle hi/lo pass filtering.

Thank you for making these super high quality tracks available to mix. Its really a treat to mix

Old 27th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Secret mountains "High Horse" ELF mix

Here's my mix It's a BLA mod 003R
Stock plugins
Alesis 3630 Lead vox compression
Same compressor for stereo buss
Feedback Please...
Attached Files

High Horse.mp3 (8.28 MB, 122 views)

Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
SUPER fun. I've been getting the emails for a few months, but this is the first mix I've dived into.

Info, for the 'slutz: My version is mixed 100% ITB, on a 2008 MBP running PT9 that gets hot enough to fry an egg, almost literally. The external drive gets toasty, too. I do have some fun plugs, including some Slate Digital stuff, a couple of Massey's toys, the Vallhalla Room 'verb, MDW EQ's, the Sonnox bundle, and the UBK-1. That about does it, I think... More than enough! Monitoring is out the digital side of the headphone jack into a D-Box, with an Adam p33a/Sub 10 setup, and a mono Mixcube. I also love my A/T headphones. I certainly can't blame it on the gear...

I should also add that the tracking engineers did a really great job... it was fun to hear how quickly a mix can start to come together (for my tastes at least) with really quality sources! I set out to do a quick job, and spent far less time on this than I would on a normal mix... Probably in the 3.5-4 hour range when it was all printed, etc. I tried not to use too much automation, but of course ended up automating about half of the audio tracks, mostly just with a move or two. I did ride one of the delay sends on the lead vocal, also. I couldn't resist.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by efar7133 ➑️
Here's my mix It's a BLA mod 003R
Stock plugins
Alesis 3630 Lead vox compression
Same compressor for stereo buss
Feedback Please...
Nice work... I like the space, and I think the balance feels good overall.

- The vocal feels a little bit mid/ low-mid heavy to me... Kind of like she's singing into a (small) pillow, to overuse the analogy. Try opening it up on the top touch.
- The verb on the snare at the beginning is brighter than I want it to be, which may be contributing to a "thinness" that's bothering me. It also could be just that it's poking out a bit much at the top. The snare sounds really nice later in the song, I think.
- I really like the outro of your mix... I kinda let it go, and didn't pay much attention. It definitely gets too muddy in mine. I'll have to fix that and clean it up! Yours is nice and clean by comparison.
- Also--minor gripe--the guitar part at the beginning of the song feels like it's a little bit far left, and a little bit too forward overall. It makes me want to tip my head to the left to compensate... I'll often add a delay to the right side and mix it in subtly. You might try a mix of that, and/or bringing it back slightly toward the center.

I'm no "golden-eared" mix expert... No one pays me the big bucks at this point, so you can take my suggestions with a grain of salt!

I'm looking forward to diving into to more other other folks' mixes later, but I gotta run now...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Secret Mountain.mp3 can someone tell me how you put a play button nxt to the attatchment
well heres the mix i did yesterday to get sleepy... and it worked I feel asleep on the couch while bouncing the track
I put up the mp3 download on top^^ for those who are into the details with out hearing that soundcloud compression, and for those who want to just hear...here you go. reverbnation's playback kills soundcloud
Old 29th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My Mix :) Enjoy!

These tracks were really well recorded!
Big thanks to Brian & the Weathervane Music team to make this possible!

Old 30th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Many thanks again.

Here is my mix. Please diss the hell out of it so I can improve.

edit: Info on what I used:
in the box, UAD Cambridge, UAD EMT140, UAD RS1, UAD DM1, UAD P-Limiter, UAD LA2A, UAD P-De-Esser, UAD Pultec, McDSP Filterbank, McDSP Compressorbank, McDSP AC2, McDSP ML1, Avid PSA1.

Cheers,
Minko
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
today i made my version of the secret mountains song. nice song although i think that the hihat is recorded a bit too loud..

thank you weathervane!

Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinxx ➑️
nice song although i think that the hihat is recorded a bit too loud..
I think the hats were PLAYED too loud... that's one of the hardest things to get right, particularly for drummers with limited experience on the other side of the glass. The best drummers almost mix themselves... the room mics and overheads sound great on their own (assuming they're well placed, etc.,) and the close mics can provide reinforcement where it's needed.

Try revisiting the synth levels in your mix... They seem quite loud to me, in contrast to a washed-out vocal sound and quiet guitars. The drums are also quite low in terms of balance, though I'm a drummer, and tend to want to hear lots of drums! For my tastes and understanding of the song, the lead electric guitar part in the intro is quite important, too... you might give it a little more space.
Old 1st October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Did a quick headphone mix after finding out about shaking through..Beautiful song no matter what you do to it though..Let me know what you think Cheers!

p.s: had to upload a 224 bit version instead of 320 because of the file size restrictions. sorry.
Attached Files

Secret Mountains 2.mp3 (9.52 MB, 149 views)

Old 2nd October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Secret Mountains "High Horse" (Gutter Sparrow Remix)

Here's my offering this time around. I tried to re-imagine the track, crossfading passages to create new chord changes. I used a Roland SP-404 SX to resample kick, snare, piano and tambourine. You could call the idea I came up with dreamgaze; it has a meditative quality.

I also re-amped the rhythm guitar into my fx pedals. Pretty simple, just a TS-808, EHX Memory Man and Holier Grail. I'm pretty certain I heard a Memory Man on the guitar fx source track. I also added some vocal harmonies.

I was limited to mix/master in Logic. (Wish I had some of the outboard gear I've read about in this thread!)

You know, it really is a treat to get to remix the songs Weathervane produces- when you have great source material, it's hard to screw it up. Thanks again Brian!

Last edited by Gutter Sparrow; 2nd October 2012 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot Information
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
loving this.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
@Gutter Sparrow, Good Work!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…