Quantcast
Acoustic pop mix and production advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic pop mix and production advice
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Part crazy Acoustic pop mix and production advice

This is a song I wrote and recorded on one budget microphone and pre in my bedroom. I played/programmed everything except piano. It was initially written on acoustic guitar but liked my friends piano playing over it.

After listening to a song so much it's hard to have perspective. Mix advice has gotten me to this point so I was hoping someone knowledgable could hear what I don't, especially in outro seems like it's getting a bit muddy. I wanted to keep the lead vocals dry (maybe they are too dry) The only thing I have planned at this point is to replace the female vocals during chorus with a good singer I know who offered. Production thoughts would be welcome too.

http://www.damonbarnett.com/PartCrazy.m4a

Last edited by Debo; 11th September 2012 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Forgot attachment
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thoughts on mix good or bad?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Cool tune.
Awesome vocal timbre!
I'd pull the piano (3 o'clock) and the guitar in a bit (9 o'clock). Not crazy about the brass patch - would love to hear it with strings instead. If you keep the brass, try hard panning those right and mono them up a bit. Bass and kick seem to be spreading (distorting a bit).
Maybe a little mono verb on the vocal. Love the dry drums but everything dry leaves me wanting to hear just a little bit of depth :-)
Good luck!
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks Dave for the suggestions. I will try all these things tonight when I get home. Just curious what your reasoning was for the mono verb on vocals as opposed to stereo. I agree I wanted horns. But they dont sound real enough.

Will post new mix shortly
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Dave here is a new mix with strings and piano and guitar less wide.

PartCrazy9-15.mp3
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I like that better. How do you feel about it? I'd like to hear the organ harder left and the strings harder right OR make those tracks mono. It's the reason why I asked for mono verb on the vocals - this tune sounds very 70's and having mono sources adds to that flavor - it also helps define each instruments location better. I feel like the imaging on the strings and organ are a bit smeared. I think it should at least have the illusion that you set up an old ribbon mic and captured the whole string section with one mic (like the good ol days) make sense?
Still got that low end problem - what compressor are you using on the main buss? Love the bass guitar tone btw.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
yah Dave I like the changes. I feel horns fit better in the song but I agree that patch doesn't work. Song needs real horns or none. Yah 70s was what I was going for dry drums etc ala Steely Dan and Beck Sea Change.

Here is an additional mix with the organ and strings panned wider.

I'm using waves L2 and ozone on output.
Attached Files

PartCrazy9-15b.mp3 (7.44 MB, 67 views)

Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This song is really growing on me :-)
Now that everything has a more well defined placement in the stereo field I just noticed the overheads - the ride is way way over right - sounds really lonely over there :-( I'd tighten up the kit a lot maybe 10:30 and 2:30. I think the vocals could come up a bit and maybe turn down the doubled vox track. It's a very intimate track and mix - I'd try making it even more so (just me). Check out a band I produced a couple of years ago called Smile Smile - your tune's got a similar vibe to "The Attic". I got the vocals WAY up but I think it adds to the intimacy. I'll apologize in advance for how horrible myspace sounds.
The Attic by Smile Smile | Song | Free Music, Listen Now
Old 16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I really like the attic and it's production. I listened to the album version and the live acoustic rendition. The only thing I would have done differently is toned down the ka ka kas. I Think it actually distracts from the beauty of the song. Imho having the C-come on being the one sung with that inflection and catch up sung clean

I actually did have the lead vocal very upfront in previous mixes for a more intimate feel but brought them back down again. I agree about the ride and have noticed it to far on the right. I need to bounce the drums from the samples as the ride is stuck in the overheads otherwise and I have no control over it. I'll post another mix later today.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…