Quantcast
Hard Rock Production - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hard Rock Production
Old 11th September 2012
  #1
Gear Nut
 
Sample Seven's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Hard Rock Production

So this is a scratch track I conceived just to practice hard rock style production; I recorded a few riffs and attempted to arrange them into something I could work with and here's the result:



Please give me some feedback with regards to the sound/mix (I wasn't exactly going for songwriting merit here)

On a side note, SoundCloud's upload sound quality has been unusually terrible lately, so I would recommend downloading the track.

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2012
  #2
Gear Head
 
Waterlifemusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample Seven ➑️
So this is a scratch track I conceived just to practice hard rock style production; I recorded a few riffs and attempted to arrange them into something I could work with and here's the result:



Please give me some feedback with regards to the sound/mix (I wasn't exactly going for songwriting merit here)

On a side note, SoundCloud's upload sound quality has been unusually terrible lately, so I would recommend downloading the track.

Thanks!
What drum samples are you using?
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Nut
 
Sample Seven's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlifemusic ➑️
What drum samples are you using?
EZ Drummer...it's getting me by for now as I work on a live drum setup
Old 13th September 2012
  #4
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
First thing that comes to my mind is these guitars could benefit from some thickening up. I dunno how many stacks you got, but I'd add a few in the mix to see if you can't make it heavier.

Second thing in mind is like some grandfather clock samples to go with those guitars. lol
Old 13th September 2012
  #5
Gear Head
 
s1770's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Gday Sample Seven Your tracking has alot of potential man


below is a partial segment of your tune Reprocessed & Reworked for a reference
great drums btw kik ass man

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81719608/tem...S%20Rework.mp3

S1770
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Nut
 
Sample Seven's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limetree ➑️
First thing that comes to my mind is these guitars could benefit from some thickening up. I dunno how many stacks you got, but I'd add a few in the mix to see if you can't make it heavier.
The rhythm is two guitars hard panned left and right, the lead has a lead plus a harmony, both hard panned left and right...so total two rhythm, four lead tracks.

If I recall correctly, the first chord on the rhythm part is an A, so it starts kinda high up. The part doesn't use beefy low chords. Perhaps if I overlaid an octave shifted part it would thicken it up. I've tried beefing up the midrange but for the most part it just starts to interfere with the drum parts.

Quote:
Second thing in mind is like some grandfather clock samples to go with those guitars. lol
How about a cuckoo clock?

[verse]

[cuckoo]

[Sub hit][hook]



Quote:
Originally Posted by s1770 ➑️
below is a partial segment of your tune Reprocessed & Reworked for a reference
great drums btw kik ass man
Thanks, the drum sound was the focus of this project for me, although I'm not quite happy with the hihat/high tom sound yet.

Your rework sounds like it cut all the midrange out of the track; I'm not sure what you're listening on, but it might be deceiving you into thinking your tracks have way more mids than they really do.
Old 14th September 2012
  #7
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Try some psychoacoustic shiznit then. Make a send from your guitar track to an aux with nothing but a pitch control unit on it, and set it to be detuned by like 6 cents. Then slowly bring up the fader and it should make your guitar sound fuller. I do that crap on vocal hooks and stuff all the time.

And I was thinking more about when the guitars do nothing but muted strums, sounds exactly like they're trying to imitate a ticking clock lol.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Nut
 
Sample Seven's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limetree ➑️
Try some psychoacoustic shiznit then. Make a send from your guitar track to an aux with nothing but a pitch control unit on it, and set it to be detuned by like 6 cents. Then slowly bring up the fader and it should make your guitar sound fuller. I do that crap on vocal hooks and stuff all the time.
Now that's a good idea, I'll have to try that.

I actually tweaked the mix earlier, I put some mids back in the guitars and turned up the lead. I also overlaid an octaved rhythm part on the hook, so now it sounds like there's some drop-A action. It's improving:



Quote:
And I was thinking more about when the guitars do nothing but muted strums, sounds exactly like they're trying to imitate a ticking clock lol.
Can you tell I couldn't come up with a part there?
Old 14th September 2012
  #9
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Lol. That's exactly what I thought. something needs to go there to make it more interesting in that part. But that's a production/personal taste type deal. I'm gonna listen to the updated mix later today! :]
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Nut
 
Bungler's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample Seven ➑️
Now that's a good idea, I'll have to try that.

I actually tweaked the mix earlier, I put some mids back in the guitars and turned up the lead. I also overlaid an octaved rhythm part on the hook, so now it sounds like there's some drop-A action. It's improving:





Can you tell I couldn't come up with a part there?
BIG improvement, but still not there.

The staccato guitar leads/melody in the chorus bother me the most. Add some more slides (I hear one in there) or something to make it lest rigid and static.

Rework the drum mix. I use Superior Drummer as well, you can get it sounding so much better! Are you using the multi-out? Route everything out like you were mixing/tracking a real drum kit. The room sounds SD has are CRUCIAL to making the drums sound real.

You're on the right path, keep on it!
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Nut
 
Sample Seven's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungler ➑️
The staccato guitar leads/melody in the chorus bother me the most. Add some more slides (I hear one in there) or something to make it lest rigid and static.
Yeah, the entire guitar part is bland really, but that's because I made this track solely to practice mixing and dialing in the sounds for all the instruments.

Quote:
Rework the drum mix. I use Superior Drummer as well, you can get it sounding so much better! Are you using the multi-out? Route everything out like you were mixing/tracking a real drum kit. The room sounds SD has are CRUCIAL to making the drums sound real.
I am using multi-out, so I have everything on separate tracks EQ'd, compressed, etc. I actually have the older EZ Drummer plugin that I got a while ago, though I'm considering upgrading to SD sometime.

Per your advice, I turned up the room track (it was down fairly low) and boosted the mids to bring out the snare. The room track also has a Waves API compressor crushing the room sound before the EQ. Sounds more "live" to me now:



Slightly tweaked version with the snare cutting through more:

Old 16th September 2012
  #12
Gear Nut
 
Bungler's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I don't think EZ Drummer supports multi-out, where you can route each track in the plug-in, out to separate aux ins, in Pro Tools. Pretty sure that's a flagship feature of SD.

But anyway, nice improvement! Getting there!
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Nut
 
Sample Seven's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungler ➑️
I don't think EZ Drummer supports multi-out, where you can route each track in the plug-in, out to separate aux ins, in Pro Tools. Pretty sure that's a flagship feature of SD.

But anyway, nice improvement! Getting there!
Thanks! Not sure about Pro Tools, but multi-out works fine for me in Ableton Live 8:

πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump