Quantcast
How'd I do? Girl fronted Pop/Dance/Rock band - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How'd I do? Girl fronted Pop/Dance/Rock band
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How'd I do? Girl fronted Pop/Dance/Rock band

What do you all think? Any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Files

Know mix 1.mp3 (4.76 MB, 160 views)

Old 10th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Nice!

I don't have any speakers with me, so I could only listen on my tiny laptop speakers, but I liked what I heard. I'll try to remember to listen again when I am somewhere that I can connect to decent speakers.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
There's a huge gap between 250-300 Hz creating a thin feeling to the entire soundscape leaving no weight to the low end.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemongoose ➡️
There's a huge gap between 250-300 Hz creating a thin feeling to the entire soundscape leaving no weight to the low end.
@ nimblemongoose Dunno what your listening on man but this mix is Fine

@emcstudios keep up the good work man

S1770
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Pretty much all pop/dance stuff these days has nothing in that range, so...

The mix is pretty much there.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The lowend is focused in a frequency range that is much lower than it should be. I suspect a typical room mode at his mixing position causing a boomy sound which in turn causes the OP to remove too much or not boost where needed the frequency range which gives weight to sounds. The vocals in particular do not have a close to your face sound that is needed in the verses. If the OP is mixing in the box this lack of weight may also come from a lack of saturation in the low mids caused by transformers.

Maybe try using saturation tools for this?

All in all it sounds alright, but it isn't professional sounding yet.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The lowend is focused in a frequency range that is much lower than it should be. I suspect a typical room mode at his mixing position causing a boomy sound which in turn causes the OP to remove too much or not boost where needed the frequency range which gives weight to sounds. The vocals in particular do not have a close to your face sound that is needed in the verses. If the OP is mixing in the box this lack of weight may also come from a lack of saturation in the low mids caused my transformers.
Maybe try using saturation tools for this?

All in all it sounds alright, but it isn't professional sounding yet.
Thanks for the feedback!

The band requests a lot of sub bass. If i had my way It wouldnt be so heavy in that range. Probably why i mix away some of the other low frequency. How do I bring up the bass in the lacking range without getting muddy? Suggestions? A quick rundown on using saturation?

I mixed in my bedroom entirely in the box... on some crappy M-audio bx5's hahaha. I am thankful for the nice words, but do appreciate feedback. I too notice that my mixes lack "weight" most of the time.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcstudios ➡️
Thanks for the feedback!

I mixed in my bedroom entirely in the box... on some crappy M-audio bx5's hahaha. .
In that case, i definately think you're making the most of your gear, thats
for sure.

You should be proud of yourself man, thats impressive to do that well
with such meager gear.
Hats off to you. You're a great example of what we talk about here all the time. It really is more about the skills, than the gear.
You got skills..
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tagged. I'll listen when I'm on my computer. Definitely interested to hear it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…