Quantcast
Rate this drumsound (API, Purple, Distressor, DBX...) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rate this drumsound (API, Purple, Distressor, DBX...)
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rate this drumsound (API, Purple, Distressor, DBX...)

I recently recorded a demo for a local rock-ska band, and got a quite good drumsound.
Hear it here :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Sly_drumsound.wav

The track has no toms yet.

Gear used :

Snare top : SM57 : Purple Audio Biz pre with "dual" mode ON : DBX 160X comp : MOTU 828
Snare bottom : SM57 : Purple Audio Biz pre : MOTU 828
Kick : D112 : API 512b : Distressor : MOTU 828
OH : SM81 : Mindprint DTC with optocompression : MOTU 828
Hats : MK012 : Joemeek TwinQ : MOTU 828
Room : R121 : Joemeek TwinQ with comp activated : MOTU 828

All was tracked into Logic Audio Express.

Snare is 3 tracks (snare top processed track with comp and EQ, a raw top snare track with just a noise gate on, and the bottom track processed into a clearing overdrive).

Bass drum is 2 tracks (D112 track compressed and EQed, trigger track with to get the attack)

OH and hihat are sent to a stereo bus with a bit of comp.

Room mic has been EQed too. Quite low in the mix.

I used some parallel compression on the OHs and the kick+snare bus.
EQs are Logic's Channel EQs, and DAW compressors are Platinum Compressors in Logic too.

Let me know what you think, even if I know the drummer hasn't a very tight drumming... I hope it will fit well in the music. And I know it's hard to tell if it's right or wrong with only the drums...
Old 16th June 2006
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds nice. I was going to ask why you did not use the other side of the distressor for the snare, but was thinking Fatso, which is 2-channel, getting the Distressor confused with the Fatso. The snare sounds quite nice how it is. I hear a bit of a "flangy" sound in there though. Maybe the room mic? Also, there appears to be a little phase issue with the overheads. When I hit the mono button, some highs drop out. Nice sound overall though. Great job.
Old 20th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thankx for the feedback !

I'll have a check to the phase issues, I guess I do not have enough experience yet to fix out those little phase problems. I now should use the mono checking

The Distressor is mono, so I only could have it used on the kick. 160X works great on snare heh

Any other feedback ?
Old 3rd July 2006 | Show parent
lwr
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i think theres something in the kick drum that sounds like it could have been a bit lower and deeper. maybe the tuning?

nice snare
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
For my ears, the snare could use a lot more actual snare sound. More grit, snap, powder - whatever. When you have all the other instruments in there, the existing snare may not cut through to well? Maybe just needs a bit of EQ love.

Anyway, just an idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool reviews :

Longwave : maybe too much attack and not enough meat ? That's possible, I record metal music usually so that could explain...

Soliton : the drummer doesn't hit that snare hard enough, so that's what I get when recording. I'll try to blend with a sample on some parts I guess.

Thanks !
Old 4th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kik definately needs tuning down and maby a sandbag dropped in it for extra scoop/weight. Snare is cool. Light hitters in rock need the distressor action.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
what are the specs on the actual snare?? DW Noble & Cooley?? Please elaborate
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The kick head was an Aquarian Superkick 2 which is really killer
My bass drum is 22'x16' so maybe do I need a 22'x18' for more depth ?

The snare is a Sonor Force Maple (14'x5'), the best sounding maple snare I ever heard !!!! (and I have had DW, Premier, Pearl, Tama...)
It kills.

Some pics of the snare here :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Sonor%...e/HPIM2517.JPG

http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Sonor%...e/HPIM2519.JPG

http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Sonor%...e/HPIM2518.JPG
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…