The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bombastic rock: your comments are appreciated!
Old 18th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Bombastic rock: your comments are appreciated!

As a long time lurker, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their time and knowledge!

What do you think about this tune, production, mix?

You can hit me hard, I just want to improve what I am doing with this!!

Thanks for your input.

http://blueleopardaudio.com/nikki510.mp3
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
big is good

Hey, I really liked the song - and the recording was great too. I think there is scope to do more with the electric guitar break, and you could add more tempo changes to mix it up a little, but those are things you could do, not things you need to do.

Some recording notes would be great - the drum sounds are tight and the vocals are well positioned in the mix - what'd ya use, how did you do it? etc...
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmDingo

Some recording notes would be great - the drum sounds are tight and the vocals are well positioned in the mix - what'd ya use, how did you do it? etc...
Hey,
Thanks for the listen and the positive feedback. Some recording notes...well you mentioned the drums. Yamaha recording custom kit with

kick in/out -Audix d6/ Soundeluxe 195 into API 3124
snare top/bottom-57/ Blue Dragonfly also into the 3124

rack toms-421s
floor tom-tlm170 (slightly bashed -lol !!)
OHs-Josephson C42s
room-B+K omnis (4006?)

these mics all go into a CraneSong Spider. I use two Kurzweil KSP8s as A/Ds once the Spider is full. These all go into a RME9652 and into Nuendo on a Mac.

For mix, I am really into the KSP8s. I have been using them for a long time (to be honest, I worked for Kurz for 10 years and did lots of the development for it). The two KSP8s and a DA16 go into a Neotek Elite. I think there is a tiny amount of EMT140 on the snare.

Vox are recorded with either a Blue Bottle, Sony C800 (not a G), or in some cases TLM170, using either the api or spider pres, and a Distressor. There are a lot of vox in there!

I was really wondering what people would think about the rhythm guitar sounds. Its an Ibanez V into a ToneMaster head into a Mesa DR 2x12 cab. Mics? hard to say. Some typical combination of the above mentioned mics I'm sure. I think its a really gnarly sound, and I really dont know if I like it or not!!! Guitar leads are a cheap Hohner hollow body into a Marshall Silver Jubilee head.https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image.../nu/icon30.gif

I really like the WaveArts plug ins, and used the Multi Dynamics and Final Plug on the mix. I will let my ME choose between that version and then "clean" version, but I was curious what the Gearslutz would think about it.

I'd still love to hear any other comments!!! help? criticisms?
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the feel. It's loose and has a nice vibe. That's important. The break down at the end is nice.

I think the rhythm guitar sound is excellent. Meaty but never gets in the way. I think the mix is really toppy, though. It's pretty distracting to me by the end, but what do I know?

Good work, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can't listen to this - over compressed - feels like I have a cold - the highs are way too boosted! I have to turn this off now...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The vocals and guitars sound really "cheap"...not sure what you did, but it's not working.

Also, the vocals are out of tune in a lot of places...

the drums need more flavor, and tone in general. They're really "weak" sounding..

just my thoughts.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…