advice on my punk rock mix ! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
advice on my punk rock mix !
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
advice on my punk rock mix !

hey guys,

so, a while back I posted one of this band's tune I was working on and got a lot of advice for it. This is a song off their EP, which is now finished and there's no way of going back and doing it again. the band was super happy with it but guess what ? I'm NOT. I just hit a barrier and I can't get my recordings and mixes sounding any better, for some reason. I made a few mistakes during the drums tracking and I'm aware of it. speaking of which, the drums were actually my main down side. I didn't get the best image on the overheads, the drums were **** and the skins were old, yada yada yada. I then opted to replace (or enhance) some of the drums with samples (SSD, etc) but I still couldn't achieve what I was afte. In fact, I probably should have taken more care regarding the samples as it made the drums sound too plastic. This was recorded last December and I guess I learnt a lot since. Namely, giving the overheads more attention and thinking of em as the stereo pair capturing the DRUM KIT, not just the cymbals. I wasn't too worried about measurement back then and I know this was one big mistake. I know most of you aren't very savvy about the whole 3:1 golden rule approach but anyway, enough of my BS. here's one song. this is a punk band and even though I've done my research and heard the records they wanted their EP to sound like, I couldn't get it. sad but true !
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
sounds like you got a little compression happy on the drums and vocals as well. one thing i would suggest is bring a reference track into your daw. for a band like this you could use something by the wonder years or polar bear club. guitars sounded good though. at least you learned from your mistakes. raise the comp threshold a little on some of the drums. use some triggers if you need for the rest of the kit. maybe try a mid-side matrix on the overheads. most daws have one built in. just look for a plug-in called stereo enhancer or something along those lines.
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
hey, thanx for the reply ! I did get a bit comp-happy, you're right. and I believe I over-limited the **** out of the track during the 'mastering' stage. Note to self: leave mastering to master engineers..

anyway, I did bring a reference track. I guess I didn't go back to it as often as I should though, perhaps I was just a bit 'scared' of not being able to match it properly.. oh well, living & learning ! Thanks for the input
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I'm a studio owner who's been doing this a while and I don't do mastering so don't worry about. Remember, its easier to mix a good recording than it is to fix it in the mix, so pay close attention to those drum mics. Keep mixing man! Best of luck on future projects.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…