The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rust..final mixes taking place...
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Rust..final mixes taking place...

Hi gearsluts.

I'm currently mixing an album for my band Rust. Now is the time for "final tweaks" so please comment while corrections can still be made .

-- Mikko
Attached Files

Rust - If You Could See Me Now.mp3 (4.86 MB, 1092 views)

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The chorus should be a touch louder than the verses. They break in a bit because of the guitars, but the volume dosen't change at all...

Also, I think the bass and vocals could use a touch more effect. They sound "too dry" to me.

I like the filter right before chorus 2 I don't think it should sound exactly the same on the 3rd chorus though...make it different.

During the bridge, the guitars get "muffled" and "undefined". Might wanna clear them up a little...

Overall this sounds pretty good sonically I think.
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Overall this sounds pretty good sonically I think.
Ditto!

mherrane, When you get time can you share you signal chain on this...and are the drums sample replaced?

Thx
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I know this won't really help... but I think it sounds killer!!

thanks for sharing
ants
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the feedback. The room I mix in sounds quite awful, that's why all the feedback is very important.

OK, here's something about the setup:

- I use Cubase SX3 for recording and mixing. I mix ITB with mostly UAD, URS and Sony Oxford plugins (I don't have the Oxford EQ, would love to try that one day).
For monitoring I'm using Genelec 8040 monitors and Mackie Big Knob controller. Just like the room, the big knob also sounds bad, lacks a little bit lowend (I hear the lowend when I plug headphones or monitors straight to my Fireface800 ;D).

Recording setup:
Drums:
I used Trident S80 console preamps for all the drums. I'm not sure about all the mics because I was recording for the first time in a decent big studio with lots of great mics, so I just picked up some that I've heard to be god ...The miclist was something like this:
1. Kick outside - AKG C414B-ULS
2. Kick Inside - Sennheiser MD421
3. Snare Top - SM57
4. Snare Btm - Shure SM81
5-7. Toms - Sennheiser MD421
8. Hihat - Some AKG condenser, don't remember, sorry.
9-10. OHs - Choaps condensers (again don't remember)
11. Ride - Neumann M84
12.-13. Closer ambience - AKG 414B-Uls
14-15. Far ambience - Some B&K omnis

I use samples only if I have to. There's only one drum sample used in this song. It's the snare tail "ping". I like the snare ringing a little but this time I had to gate the snare so the ringing was gone. the snaretail is sampled from the snare used on the track.

Guitars:
I recorded two pairs of rythm guitars. If played accurate enough they really make the sound bigger than just one pair I think . All the guitars are played through a Peavey 5150 and Marshall Mod-4 4x12" cabinet. The "main pair" was recorded with 2 mics, Sennheiser MD421 and Shure SM57. Since everything except the drums were recorded on our rehearsal room, I didn't have the Trident console any more. Also I didn't have too many good preamps, the only god one I had was SPL Gainstation1. So I used the SPL and the stock preamps of my Fireface (which I don't like too much but what can you do ;D).
The other rhythm gtr pair was recorded with an Audiotechnica AE2500 bassdrum mic. This is a great guitar mic, not even closely as good on bassdrum (I think). The AT has two channels in it, cond and dyn...I ran the cond through the SPL and the dyn through RME.

Bass:
3 channels:
Straight DI
DI from the preamp (Ampeg SWT something)
Mic'd Ampeg 8x10 cabinet (Sennheiser MD421+SPL)

Acoustic guitars:
I almost forgot. the acoustics were recorded in the end of the drum session so for them I used the Trident console and 2 mics, U-87 and AKG 414.

Vocals:
At the time when I recorded vocals for this one I purchased a Neve Portico 5012 preamp. This song is my first session with it. Some like it, some don't...I love it very much...So much better than the RMEs (what a surprise), also so much better than the SPL, although I really like the SPL. I used AKG C414B-XLS mic for all the vocs.

Hmm...What else? All the synth sounds come from Virus Powercore. Great synth, it's a shame it doesn't work properly and nobody does anything to fix it :(, still very good sounding synth.

djui5, do you think I should do something for the chorus volume or leave it to the mastering? Also I'd like have some more "edge" to the sound but I thought I'd also leave that to the mastering (a few dB boost in 4-5K with a great mastering EQ would do that I think).

OK that's about it. I'm glad people are interested, this is a great forum and I'm a gearslut from the bottom of my heart so it's great to be a part of the community . Please go ahead and ask if you want to know something more.

-- Mikko
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mikko,

Thanks for that.

Great job...again!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds really nice. I like the sound of the Portico on the vocal. My only comment is that the drums, especially the kick, sort of disappear once the song gets chunky.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane
Probably an AKG 451..looks like this
http://images.digitalmedianet.com/20...kg_451_150.jpg

Quote:
9-10. OHs - Choaps condensers (again don't remember)
Schoeps. Amazing mic's. Never used em for OH's though. I'd like to

Quote:
11. Ride - Neumann M84
KM84. What a great mic! Especially for ride.

Quote:
djui5, do you think I should do something for the chorus volume or leave it to the mastering? Also I'd like have some more "edge" to the sound but I thought I'd also leave that to the mastering (a few dB boost in 4-5K with a great mastering EQ would do that I think).

-- Mikko

I think you shouldn't leave anything to mastering other than bringing up the level and giving the album that professional polish they do so well. Do everything else yourself....make it sound as close to the way you want it as you can....then send it to mastering. Not only will this make their job easier, but it will make the finished product that much better.

On that note, regarding the volume change, you can do that with automation on the master fader.
Re: "giving it more edge", like I said...get it sounding the way you want it sounding now...then send it to a good mastering engineer to "polish it off".

It's great you got such a good recording....it makes all the difference in the world when mixing
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
djui5 Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane

Probably an AKG 451..looks like this
http://images.digitalmedianet.com/20...kg_451_150.jpg

--
Yes, could be... I'm visually impaired (almost blind) so the picture doesn't help much in identiying the mic...Sorry. But anyway it sounds good so it has to be good .

Earlier I had UAD P.EQ on the masterbus in all of the songs...I got that "edge" i wanted with that but I took it away mainly because I thought the ME would have better EQs to play with ...This is one of the things I'm not sure of...Whether to use master EQ or not... There is some kind of "magic" in the P.EQ, I can't get the same sound by just boosting the same frequencies on the tracks...the magic is mainly why I'm considering leaving things for the ME, I'm sure he has somekind of magic in his $5000 or so EQs, comps and of course the Neve console he is using. Two of the albums I've mixed have been mastered by a real mastering engineer (the same guy who is going to be mastering this one) and I have to say I'm really impressed...I couldn't be there when they mastered the first one but I was with him when he did the second...There's so much things you can do in the mastering, M/S compression, tape things, high-end EQ and comp things..Of course if the ME wasn't musically talented, they wouldn't help much ...But of course I understand that using M.EQ while mixing will get the mix closer to the end results...Hard to decide.

-- Mikko
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…