Quantcast
Wiser Side - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wiser Side
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wiser Side

Here's a song I recorded/produced for a guy named Jason Quicksall (jasonquicksall.com). We recorded at my studio and at Rome Recording, the one I used to work at. We used a U47 on the vocals. I played most of the guitars on the track, then Lucey mastered it. What do you guys think?
Attached Files

WiserSide.mp3 (5.17 MB, 115 views)

Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
check your mp3. i thought my headphones were plugged and producing the sound. but no.
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You're right, I think there was something wrong with my encoder before. Try this one.
Attached Files

WiserSide_final.mp3 (4.14 MB, 137 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it sounds great Kevin. I would compress the vocals a little more - I was thinking tube comp and boost the low end on the lead voc. What mic? Sounds a little harsh/hard in the high end.

The piano sounds great. I love the midrange.... But the mix seems cut in the high-end? Sounds great anyway.

Cool snare - is it reversed? Ha, cool idea!

You play the electric guitar right? Love your feel for guitar man.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds great, I like how the guitar and piano sound compliment each other so well. The organ is a little piercing at times. I agree with Dim, there could be more low end in the vocals, especially with a sparse arrangement like this. Are those vocals clipping at 1:58? I like the innovation with the percussion. I think the "Closer" snare around 3:00 is a little distracting from the lyrics, tho. There's some crackling I'm hearing at 4:19 you might wanna check it out?

Sounds awesome, Wallace, great job.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks! You're all right but this song was for a friend and we're all done now, so I can't really cahnge anything. Thanks for listening.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What a FAAAAT bassdrum, the mix sounds really great, I like the space/dimension... what reverb(s) did you use?

Andreas
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, what's up Andreas? The only verb I used was on the vocals and maybe the organ. I think it was a convolution verb -- the EMT 244 plate, which is out there somewhere for free. The kick sample was something I recorded before, maybe to tape, and also a stock digi delay. There is another stereo kick sample in the chorus, which is a hip-hop kick I really like.

There were some imperfections in some of the tracks, but we didn't spend a lot of time at the big studio on vocals. We did about 5 vocal takes and then I comped them. The whole thing took about 30 minutes, but we were also trying to keep costs down, so I guess it's a tradeoff.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
Hey, what's up Andreas? The only verb I used was on the vocals and maybe the organ.
Huh, really... I think I'm to old for this **** ... anyway I like overall-space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
We did about 5 vocal takes and then I comped them. The whole thing took about 30 minutes
It's always impressive what some people can perform under pressure. I'd say normally for rock and pop it would be about 20-50 takes even with good singers and then editing, editing, editing... so your friend is really a cool.

For me at the end of the day the only thing that counts is, do you carry any emotions or vibes with your work... I think YES.

Andreas
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G
Huh, really... I think I'm to old for this **** ... anyway I like overall-space!

It's always impressive what some people can perform under pressure. I'd say normally for rock and pop it would be about 20-50 takes even with good singers and then editing, editing, editing... so your friend is really a cool.

For me at the end of the day the only thing that counts is, do you carry any emotions or vibes with your work... I think YES.

Andreas
I record both vocals and write lyrics in like 5 - 15 minutes... And I'm not under pressure.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
I record both vocals and write lyrics in like 5 - 15 minutes... And I'm not under pressure.
Thanks for the head up brother, now I know I'm totally untalented ...I better listened to what my mum always said "learn something useful then you don't always have to play the clown"...

have a good night gang... I need my beauty-related sleep

Andreas
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You are never too old for a beer - Cheers mate! tutt
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…