Quantcast
"Get Loud" hiphop song finished - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Get Loud" hiphop song finished
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"Get Loud" hiphop song finished

Hey guys this is a repost. I posted a previous version, that was unfinished, and now that this is done, i'd like to hear some of your views on the mix.

Check it out, let me know what you think. i think it's pretty awesome right now.
Attached Files

GetLoud.mp3 (4.67 MB, 1976 views)

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This beat/production is super hot. I seriously dig it. And the rapper's flow is pretty tight. A few things...the "up front" vocals are too up front. I'd definitely turn them down quite a bit and maybe turn up the main vocals a little bit. Also, I'd say put in a much louder/harder-hitting kick and snare. Especially snare. I'm talking Dr. Dre on "The Watcher" or something...well, probably not that amped up...haha. Seriously though, this is really good, but that would take it to totally banging proportions.
Old 12th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt
This beat/production is super hot. I seriously dig it. And the rapper's flow is pretty tight. A few things...the "up front" vocals are too up front. I'd definitely turn them down quite a bit and maybe turn up the main vocals a little bit. Also, I'd say put in a much louder/harder-hitting kick and snare. Especially snare. I'm talking Dr. Dre on "The Watcher" or something...well, probably not that amped up...haha. Seriously though, this is really good, but that would take it to totally banging proportions.
yo thanks a lot man for the kind words. you pretty much echoed the thoughts that were going through my head, I'm trying to get out of the habit our OVER tweaking. I tend to do that, but since you brought up the same things as I was thinking, i'm sure i'm not just over thinking things.

by upfront vocals you you mean the chorus? the "get loud if you wanna get loud"?
I've actually got 3 kicks in there, but I turned them down because I tend to have the kicks too high in my stuff, but I probably over compensated. the snare, well thats just another story. I had it cracking more, but felt like it fought with the lead vox a bit.

i'm going to tinker a tiny bit( i keep telling my self "tiny bit, tiny bit") and i'll be back tomorrow.

thanks for adding us on myspace by the way
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, no problem. The loud vocals I'm talking about are the ones that say "going left, right, back & forth." They're just way in front of the rest of the mix. By the way, I'm listening on speakers that don't reproduce super low end well, and I say this because of my kick comment before. However, I was just listening to a bunch of hip hop on these speakers (ranging from Black Moon to current Black Eyed Peas to AZ's "Doe Or Die"; you get the idea), and regardless of precise low end imformation, the kicks had more punch, and seemed to sit up a bit more in the mix, too. But the snare definitely stands out as being too quiet compared to this other stuff. No question. Maybe the snare sound would be okay if it was brought up, but at its current level, it sounds really small, so it's hard to tell if it'll do the song justice or not.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
right on. good points man
Old 13th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
alright, here's the updated mix.

Things I did:
1.Played with the balance of my 3 kicks, pumped up the 808 and the hi-passed kick to give it more grit and more subs.

2. Added another snare under the original one for more meat.

3.I really tried to get the Lead vocals to be bigger. I think the time settings on my compressor were off the first time. I have a habit of setting the attack too quick, and it makes the lead vox sounds too muffled.

Let me know what you all think about this updated mix.
Attached Files

GetLoud.mp3 (4.67 MB, 2141 views)

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by APOHStudios
Let me preface by saying "I'm not real experienced in Hip Hop". But d*mn, dude, nice mix! I actually listened to the whole thing and found myself getting in to it. One point, IMO, the "left, right...."
yas !! the groove gets deep and locks in and you can get lost in it.. but the verses... kinda weak for me...they don't show much personality there. no story really... i think one can tell they had fun recording the choruses. but not much risk taking here...as if they want to avoid a "parental discretion advised" sticker. now it is up to the mix engineer to create some drama or something in the parts where it doesn't engage the listener as much...<<<imo>>>

jeff dinces
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
thanks for the feedback guys. it's always good to hear others points of view.

You guys really seem to think the "left right back and forth" is too loud. it just doesn't strike me being as such, but i may be wrong. i'm gonna ask a couple of good friends if they feel that way. I've got it up front like that because it's really more of a hook than the actual hook is.

as far no personality. WOW. i thought it was oozing with personality. No, the lyrical content doesn't have much depth, but i don't think this is a song where people want to be "told" something. i try not listen for "Talib kweli" on a "black eyed peas" song if you know what i mean.

btw, this artist can get pretty nice lyricallly, check here http://www.somobe.com/Building.mp3

this is truly a party/club song, so it's competing with the likes of little john, and all the other crunk artist, and we all know they aint saying ANYTHING. but for some reason, people move when little john comes on.

we'll see how it feels in a couple days, things always change a couple days after the mix.

thanks y'all
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Alright, travelling a bit so I actually just listened on a laptop, so you may want to ignore this comment...haha. But from what I can tell, the updated version is a big improvement. The "left right" vocals still stand out, but don't overpower the rest of the song. The snare definitely hits better. And the kick seems to have a good punch. Sounded really good. Loved it. If I owned a radio station, I'd definitely play it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Nice Work!

I really like this one. You improved it quite a bit from the first example. The kick has nice punch, and I'm thinking it could still use a little more low boost cause it's kicking me in the throat but not my chest. You improved the snare a lot too. Sounds great. I somewhat agree with others about that 'left, right' vocal thing - might still be calling too much attention to itself. Try less extreme panning - perhaps that might help it sit better in the mix. But, I don't think you have any serious problems at this point - just artistic options that will never satisfy everone's taste. Go with what you want - I really like your work. thumbsup
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
thanks a lot guys for the help. i agree with the comment about the subs on my kick. i'll see if i can pump up the 808 a little without making my mix mud.

take it easy fellasthumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
This mix is very good, even so that it sounds good on my cheap computer speakers!

This hasn't been mastered right so how come it seems quite loud for just a mix?

I agree with the others that the kick could sound a little more bassy but overall its very clear and jumps out at you.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest19
This mix is very good, even so that it sounds good on my cheap computer speakers!

This hasn't been mastered right so how come it seems quite loud for just a mix?

I agree with the others that the kick could sound a little more bassy but overall its very clear and jumps out at you.
thanks man. naw, it hasn't been mastered yet. actually, I always wonder why my mixes are so damn quiet compared to other peoples mixes. Same with this, i thought it was waaaay quiet. i figure it's best to leave the level maximization up to the mastering guys.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy655
thanks man. naw, it hasn't been mastered yet. actually, I always wonder why my mixes are so damn quiet compared to other peoples mixes. Same with this, i thought it was waaaay quiet. i figure it's best to leave the level maximization up to the mastering guys.
Yeah I mean without starting a loudness wars argument its strange how some guys mixes are really loud without mastering. I would consider this mix loud but yeah.

Sounds very good. Have you layered the kick differently from the original mix or am I hearing the same kick just processed differently?

It sounds a thousand times more punchy in the recent mix.

Also not just the mix but the track I like very much, it sounds like something off the radio

I also like how the snare doesnt sound like your typical hip hop snare, it sounds more like something I'd expect to hear in a rock track IMO.
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest19
Yeah I mean without starting a loudness wars argument its strange how some guys mixes are really loud without mastering. I would consider this mix loud but yeah.

Sounds very good. Have you layered the kick differently from the original mix or am I hearing the same kick just processed differently?

It sounds a thousand times more punchy in the recent mix.

Also not just the mix but the track I like very much, it sounds like something off the radio

I also like how the snare doesnt sound like your typical hip hop snare, it sounds more like something I'd expect to hear in a rock track IMO.
yeah that trips me out too lol. oh well. in regards to the kick, it's the same 3 kicks from the original, but I changed the levels between, (i.e. turned up the hipassed kick for more cut through on computer speakers. cut out subs from the punchy kick. turned up the 808 a bit.

my room really really sucks so I am having a hard time judging when my subs are right. i gotta fix my acoustic situation, but i just sank $2500 into a Macbook pro so my budget is a little jacked right now.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
first thing to say - this is really marvellous music! (I listened the myspace uploads)

I think such productions can achieve lots of respect from non-hip-hop listeners and "traditional" musicians.

the mixes are showing personality, that's what is important.
sound-wise I think everything is perfect now, the snare and many things else are artistic decisions and I think they serve the music and the genre that has become quite boring with all the mainstream clones.

for the raps and lyrics I can't comment much, but they seem a bit far from "street" to me, which opens another window to a bigger and serious audience.
then again it's possible to bring about a message, if the artist wants. if it is "fun" then I think it is the better, rather than all this blingbling and pool party music.

I can only wish this production some good commercial success! will require some luck and won't be easy...
but keep on!
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR
first thing to say - this is really marvellous music! (I listened the myspace uploads)

I think such productions can achieve lots of respect from non-hip-hop listeners and "traditional" musicians.

the mixes are showing personality, that's what is important.
sound-wise I think everything is perfect now, the snare and many things else are artistic decisions and I think they serve the music and the genre that has become quite boring with all the mainstream clones.

for the raps and lyrics I can't comment much, but they seem a bit far from "street" to me, which opens another window to a bigger and serious audience.
then again it's possible to bring about a message, if the artist wants. if it is "fun" then I think it is the better, rather than all this blingbling and pool party music.

I can only wish this production some good commercial success! will require some luck and won't be easy...
but keep on!

yo man. i cant tell you how much I appreciate that. being an artist is rough. most of the time it feels like nobody cares, as corny as that may sound. we work very very very very very very very very hard to make art out of what we do. when people acknowledge our music as art, it's truly the best thing in the world to us.

artist just want to be acknowledged as artist. thats it, forget money and fame when there's no respect.

thanks thanks thanks to everyone
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, I just now got around to listening to "Building," and that song is fantastic, too! Do I detect a big Roots influence? You should straight up add all 42,000 Roots fans on MySpace, and you'd have a LOT of new fans, for sure...haha.
MDM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
it's a great track / overall mix

i still have a trip with your SNARE

both the sound and the way it is mixed - can't you get it more UPFRONT / can you make it sound BIGGER ? I also notice, that the mix is full-on stereo, but the snare is not .. Maybe you can also add some Stereo widened snare on top so it feels more massive..

it sounds a bit distant to me - not fat enough

for the rest - well done
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt
Hey, I just now got around to listening to "Building," and that song is fantastic, too! Do I detect a big Roots influence? You should straight up add all 42,000 Roots fans on MySpace, and you'd have a LOT of new fans, for sure...haha.
haha, actually as much as I like the roots music, they really aren't one of our influences as producers, and black thought isn't one of my influences as a rapper.

as a rapper, my influences are probably Royce da 5'9, Pharohe Monche, J-Live (j live's flow can sounds really similar to black thoughts, maybe that's what you're hearing) and jay z. eminem is in there too. fav rapper of all time is pharohe though.

thats a great idea about connecting with the roots fans though. we've gotta do that, cause i think they may dig us.thumbsup
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…