Quantcast
Rock mix lots of layered vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rock mix lots of layered vocals
Old 8th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Rock mix lots of layered vocals

So I think I finally figured out the art of layering multiple vocals without having it sound robotic, but obviously I'd like some opinions. The problem here is I don't know whether I'm panning to wide on the backing vocals because having them wide sounds great but it seems as though it detracts a little from the main vocal; this is especially the case in the outro I think. Thanks guys.
Attached Files

sal morales=too bad.mp3 (4.96 MB, 1464 views)

Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's cool but the guitars are way way overpowering everything.
All I can hear is the gritty guits.

They have a cool sound but it's a little wierd for the entire song...

ps: it's hard to hear much vocal in this track but from what I make out of it, it's cool...

Jason
Old 8th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agree....

It all sounds like a cassette that has been copied about 100 times...
drums a very soft....gtr's are way lot and need some mids pulled out...not much room for vocals..
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I turned up the vocals and the drums. What do you guys think?
Attached Files

sal morales = too bad.mp3 (4.96 MB, 1422 views)

Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think turning down the guitars would be a better bet. The tone sounds way too ratty for me, pretty fatiguing. The vocals might need a tad bit more compression at parts, the low end pokes out in a bad way when the singer goes falsetto. Perhaps if you pulled the guitars down a bit, it'd be easier to hear the vocals more cohesively. Drums are getting drowned out a lot, I feel. Pretty cool song.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Y'know, after years of stacking up guitar tracks like cord wood, I've gotten really into getting a mix to work with one guitar. Even if I'm gonna put more on later, I make it work with one.

I think this could benefit from that approach, maybe. I like the song, and I think it's worth making it work better. The singing is cool, and IMO doesn't need to be so far back.

Listen to "A Night At The Opera". I think a little of that vibe could be nice. It's got a bit of Mott the Hoople happening, too. That's a good thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great song and vocals but the mix I don't understand... Everything seems clouded and distant. I would try to make the drums breath and get the rest of the instruments to come through without sounding cloudy (I love that word) and muddy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The drums are lacking a lot of punch, and don't seem to be sitting in the mix properly.

The guitars sound cloudy and undefined.

Vocals need tuning in the choruses....
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…