Quantcast
Nylon-string guitar with OctavaMod MK-012s going into A&H ZED R16 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nylon-string guitar with OctavaMod MK-012s going into A&H ZED R16
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nylon-string guitar with OctavaMod MK-012s going into A&H ZED R16

Hey, just wanted to get some opinions and/or suggestions on this mix.

The piece is called "Waiting (Part I)", and it's written & played by my friend Igor Vinokur.

I used two modded Octava MK-012 (from OctavaMod), one facing the 12th fret and another pointing at the bridge, each about a foot away from the guitar. There's also an SM81 behind the guitar, its signal is flipped 180 deg. out of phase - we thought adding a little bit of this mic added depth. The octavas are panned left and right (about 30ish/63), while the SM81 is in the center, and its volume is brought down by about 9db. Since the mics were fairly close to the guitar (which was the sound we were going for), I brought down the lows and low mids a bit - does anyone think they should be brought down even more?

This was done on a flamenco guitar, so one of the things we weren't sure about is whether or not the fret noise is too excessive, getting in the way of the music.

Thanks for listening!
Attached Files

Waiting draft 3.mp3 (7.89 MB, 2087 views)

Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Listening to that on my Adam A5s in my (untreated) spare room, that sounds like one of the nicest classical guitar recordings I've ever heard. I wouldn't touch it at all. Sounds absolutely perfect to me.

Fret noise wasn't excessive at all. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have been listening out for it, but since you did mention it, the few instances I heard fret noise I think it really added to the performance. For me, fret noise is part of the sexiness of acoustic guitars. Take out the fret noise and it starts to sound fake.

The only time fret noise bothers me on acoustic guitar recordings is when there's loads of reverb on the track and it starts to sound like sneakers squeaking on the floor of a big gym.
Old 15th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Brilliant. Well done Igor, great playing and composition. Nice recording too. Loved it

Phil
Old 16th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow, thanks for the positive feedback!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Im really love the song. Sounds really good here. Thanks for sharing your technique. Is there any link to the artist page?

Huzai
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey matvey! Excellent recording/playing/composition. Was expecting extreme Spanish flair when you mentioned the Flamenco guitar (quick response) but realize the artist preference. Works well in this recording. thumbsupstikethumbsup
Old 19th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Wow. That was a beautiful performance, very expressive playing. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 23rd January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks everyone!
Old 23rd January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Great recording! really cant fault the Octava. I use a 319 and for a cheap cost it produces such a warm sound. Well done
Old 25th July 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Gorgeous

Gorgeous recording and performance. Great gear. Have you recorded high SPL sources such as drums with the mixer? If so, how did the pre's do? I'm thinking of getting the new gsr24. A chunk of change to be sure. After listening to this, I'm thinking I'd be very happy with the ZED.
Old 27th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Nice playing and nice recording. I would like some more treble or at least some sound from the right hand nails attacking the strings. I don't know if that is something you successfully have got rid of, or removed with the microphone-positions or removed it in some eq:ing after the recording. Anyway I miss the realism from that specific sound.

But the song and your work in this recording is good, no doubt about it.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…