Quantcast
Cover - Alkaline Trio - Private Eye - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cover - Alkaline Trio - Private Eye
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Cover - Alkaline Trio - Private Eye

Did this in about 4 hours (Excluding drum programming :P) this morning.

Guitars were Vox AD50VT, through the Cab line out into Guitar Rig 3, using just a cab emulation.
The reason I did it this way is a current lack of decent mics, preamps and recording space. Hopefully all will be changed soon now I'm earning again.

Bass was a dreadful Squier 3/4 size Bronco Bass which I found in a skip, with kinked strings and rattly everything, which is why I've tried to sit it back a bit in the mix compared to the very scooped and jangly bass in the original. DI into Edirol UA101, through Logic 8 Bass Amp.

Drums are Toontrack Superior Drummer.

Vocals might get added in the future, if I can find a vocalist who'll do it. If anyone on here fancies a go, feel free!

I know it's quite compressed but I think that goes somewhat with the style of song.

I'm not expecting everyone to say it's great, I know it's pretty rough, as I say, I only did it for the sake of doing it and wanted to share.

Enjoy!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2087560/Private%20Eye.mp3
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The guitars sound super digital. It's very obvious you are using amp modulation. If i were you and need just a cheap mic, grab a sm57 and throw it on the amp. Its gonna sound a hundred times better. You will definitely want to double your guitar takes too. That'll give the song more depth.
Old 9th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
What are you monitoring on out of interest?
The guitar takes are doubled and panned L and R. and before you say it, they are recorded twice, not duplicated.

And whats amp modulation? Did you mean emulation?
The amp wasn't emulated, just the cab.

As soon as I can I'll get a 57, all I have at the moment is an AKG C1000s which obviously doesn't do amps.
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Everything sounds so distant. No instrument really shines or takes charge in there. Nothing sounds bad just all of it is super laid back with not much dynamic between the quieter parts and the more aggressive parts.

Sounds like you're off to a good start though.
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I really like the guitar sound, to me the guitars sound really nice , full and stereo.
The drums are a bit shabby but thats to be expected if you program them in a few hours. But i think its a great job.
If you've got lyrics ill sing em for ya:P
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…