First rock ballad mix... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First rock ballad mix...
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
First rock ballad mix...

Well the album is rock...this is the slowest tune and there are no heavy guitars in it....Just started to mix this part of the record.

My ears can't do much right now...and I would like opinions about anything jumping out.

Thanks in advance...please no 'production' ideas ....I am only looking for balance issues and tips on getting a better mix.

The 'amount' of reverb is going to stay ...The artist is a huge fan of it...!!
Drums and bass kick in at 1:30

http://www.soundpreacherstudios.com/...inggoofme2.mp3

Thank you!!

Peace and Respect.

BTW...The level is low...this tune has not had any 2 buss anything applied...
Old 18th August 2005
Gear Guru

hey rodney ... i'd actually llike to hear more size, and maybe something jumping out on purpose. it's so even as is it site there a little flat.

the vocal could have more high mids to push it on top a bit and the piano sounds very DI so i'd boost the low end and find a place to steep cut the mids to make it more full and natural sounding. also if you can compress or eq the edge attack out of the piano it will also be more natural seeming.

I'd like a real ballad feel with a fat track sitting behind a big vocal, as is it's almost a communist mix ... everone's equal and treated with so much respect it's flat!

Push those citizens around!
Old 18th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
hey rodney ... i'd actually llike to hear more size, and maybe something jumping out on purpose. it's so even as is it site there a little flat.

the vocal could have more high mids to push it on top a bit and the piano sounds very DI so i'd boost the low end and find a place to steep cut the mids to make it more full and natural sounding. also if you can compress or eq the edge attack out of the piano it will also be more natural seeming.

I'd like a real ballad feel with a fat track sitting behind a big vocal, as is it's almost a communist mix ... everone's equal and treated with so much respect it's flat!

Push those citizens around!
Mucho...Gracias ..Brian!!

How appropriately brilliant that you would reply buddy!!!
How about I upload one or two tunes a week for ciritique?

OK...I sincerely appreciate the feedback. This song is zero indication of the rest of the record..for certain...(it is the end of one extreme) I just hope I can manage to get this into proper shape on my own steam.

I have a DAC-1 showing up next week...It may help.

Peace and Respect,

BTW ...Updated mix.... I added about 3db of 3-4k to the vocal...tried to tame the piano (we were actually originally going to use a Korg M1 from 1987!)..sweetened the strings though they are a little hard to distinguish....

100% ITB.
Gear Guru

much better ... just watch the top of the vocals for harshness, and eq sameness.

a little panning or different eq to separate them might help as they are not locked ... so dont pan tight as if they were locked in.

piano and bass are much better
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the cheeze on everything

I think the backing vocals sound out of place. They're louder than the lead vocal, but not as defined, and seem to sit "closer" than the lead vocals.

I also would like a more "boomy" kick for this kinda song. It seems a bit short and "clackie". I also think the sidestick could use some more verb.

There are points where the vocals sound "nasaley", near the last verse area.

Acoustic sounds good, as does the bass for the most part. I think it could use some more lows though.

Strings are great, and I think the cello/violin on the right could use a touch more verb. That's a personal opinion though. It's not gonna make or break the mix.

Another thing I noticed about the piano, the low keys are on the right. On a piano, the low keys are on the left. This is throwing me off, but could be left alone. It's just a personal thing.

Cool song. It's touching. Epic. Nice work!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hey...djui5..!! Thank you so much for your ear bro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
I like the cheeze on everything

I think the backing vocals sound out of place. They're louder than the lead vocal, but not as defined, and seem to sit "closer" than the lead vocals.

I also would like a more "boomy" kick for this kinda song. It seems a bit short and "clackie". I also think the sidestick could use some more verb.
Agreed about the backing vox...not intentional...The mix level is automated but some of the effects aren't... I changed effect levels last mix. I just fixed that.

Quote:
There are points where the vocals sound "nasaley", near the last verse area.
Yes...know the area well. What can a brutha do? This singer can be off the chart with nasal sometimes...Geddy Lee..Early Vince Neil nasal.
I don't know how to EQ it out with fn' with the rest of the take.

I used a SM7 (I have very limited mic collection overall) and Vintech 1272 on his voice for this tune.

Quote:
Strings are great, and I think the cello/violin on the right could use a touch more verb. That's a personal opinion though. It's not gonna make or break the mix.
I would love to hear more verb there also...but it seems to lose the strings during the choruses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here...is the chorus strings as they are right now...

Chorus Strings MP3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Another thing I noticed about the piano, the low keys are on the right. On a piano, the low keys are on the left. This is throwing me off, but could be left alone. It's just a personal thing.
..I am still messing with this position and tone I think. I may even repaly the piano with a real sample... I love piano...I just don't have alot of experience placing it in rock music.

Quote:
Cool song. It's touching. Epic. Nice work!
Thank you bro! That means alot. I wrote it for my client...I also consequently play all of the instruments and sing BKs...

Thanks so much!

Peace and Respect

Updated mix...Lettting Go Of Me MP3
Old 20th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

I don't know if I'm listening differently or if you changed something, but the vocals (lead) are a lot better than they were. I'm loving where everything's sitting now.

As for the eq thing with the nasaley issue, if your working ITB, you can automate the eq for the words/phrases you need it. I do it all the time. Automation is your friend.

Sounds great Rodney! Nice work, and thanks a ton for sharing.

I wouldn't change a thing. The piano is smokin! This sounds a gazillion times better than it did before.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…