Quantcast
Outboard AD vs. 001 AD - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Outboard AD vs. 001 AD
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Outboard AD vs. 001 AD

I'm having a little bit of trouble justifying my purchase of an RME ADI-2 A/D D/A converter. See if you guys can help me. Here is two samples of the EXACT same guitar signal, one recorded through the 001 converters, the other through the ADI-2. See if you can guess which one is which.
Attached Files

AG1.wav (2.97 MB, 114 views)

AG2.wav (2.95 MB, 109 views)

Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well i don't know which is which, but i can say i like AG1 better.

The top on the AG2 is more present......but i don't like how it sounds.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi,
My guess is that the first one is the 001. That's assuming the RME is a better convertor. The second one is definately more open, but there's definately still room for improvement. If the RME is the first one, definately don't buy it.

If you can find a way to demo a higher end convertor, I think it'd be worth your time. Apogee, HEDD, Lucid, etc.. I'm a firm believer that convertors are the most important link. Otherwise you can't hear what the pre or the mic really sounds like.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
Old 16th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ears are definately NOT interchangeable. LOL!

What sounds good to me definately is not the only way to see it. I can respect the opinions of others.

I would like to add something to this thread, tho. What monitors is everyone using as they draw their conclusions?

Meyer HD1's here.
Old 16th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm listening through a pair of HR824's. Wouldn't you guys agree that these 2 tracks are incredibly similar though?
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ag1 is better. ag2 has a grain texture to it. i think if you started to stack a lot of channels to gether with that converter you would notice that it would have less clarrity then the first.

so wich is wich.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
I'm having a little bit of trouble justifying my purchase of an RME ADI-2 A/D D/A converter. See if you guys can help me...
If I were you I would also make this test at minus 40db (max peak). Also I'd do (at normal level) some ADDA, ADDA, ADDA,.. for 7 times or so, to see what's been left from each converter.

Believe me, it'll be much easier for you to decide for the right converter.

So why this?... The quality of a converter has a lot to do with its "real" dynamic range. On loud levels they all sound more or less OK. But as a lot of the signals quality is also in the quiter parts, it's sometimes hard to discover the differnces in a test like yours. (and somtimes not)

Andreas
Old 17th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Very similar here on 824's also.

...must be the monitors.

Just when I'm looking at the Fireface also!
Old 18th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In my ****ty computer speakers, the second one, has a brighter Top end...I guess, in the context of this thread...sounds better.
Old 21st August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Alright, so the first one (AG1) was the ADI-2. Is this really all that I can expect from outboard A/D? It seems like $600 could have been spent better on mics or something that will make a drastic improvement. The way people talk about the 001 converters as being unusable and worthless, I would have thought there to be a pretty drastic improvement.
Old 23rd August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2 sounds much more harsh to me through computer speakers. You could probably get more bang for your buck elsewhere though.
Old 26th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wait....was the adi run through the digi via lightpipe....and would that makea a difference?

i agree that they sound tooo similar for $600...
l heard them on headphone, EventBas20/20 homeStereo/tv
and just as i was looking into the multiface II
HowEver
i to would like to see an apogee or some other HighEnd converter thrown in....
there Must be something on this board.....
none the less...thank you for doing this test...added a well needed dose of skeptisism(sp?)

as for stacking up the channels....would that matter if one was mixing OTB?
as for 7xAD/DA.....if i mix OTB? where would that kind of signal degradation(sp?) come into play?

i make BANGING loud DrugSexDancePunkMusik
+ if they all sound "more or less ok at loud levels"...?

really been looking for a new interface as the 001 probably will become totally un-supported in the near future 0sX 10.4? for instance? what about 10.5?
Old 26th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting

Found this thread on "HighEnd"

This One

shed some light on the subject....
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…