Quantcast
college project (track recreation) white stripes - the hardest button to button - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
college project (track recreation) white stripes - the hardest button to button
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
college project (track recreation) white stripes - the hardest button to button

have to do a track recreation for college.

track is the white stripes "the hardest button to button"

no vocals as yet (that comes next week when i get back into the college live room)

its a fairly simple track but i come from a techno/electronic background so recreating the sound has been a bit of a challenge for me.

anyway its a kinda low-fi messy track to begin with so i really had to train myself not to over-produce as i normally would with techno.

drums have been replaced (the original kit was horribly flabby but the only one available at the time)
bass has been re-amped and underpinned with a sub bass from samples (as i had to play bass and i aint a bass player ).

guitars are a rickenbacker 330 thru a fender twin and a tele DI'd and re-amped with a kinda AC30 tone.

evrything recorded thru an amek rembrandt with compression handled by distressor (parallel drums), 1176, la-2a, la-audio and a touch of SSL G on the 2 buss.

any advice etc greatly appreciated especially on the mix and whether i hit "the sound" im trying to get.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
oh yeah.. the lead guitar on the 2nd chorus is purely there because we had to show a short example of a lead aswell and the original track doesnt have one.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Pretty good job, sounds close to the original! First thing I would do, the electric guitar in the original sounds a little more open to me. Get a nice speaker and put it in a smaller room, like a bathroom, and take something like an AKG 451 to get some room sound. Put just a slight bit of that in the track and you should be good. I know on the original I hear just a little bit of travel on the electric, especially in the intro.

Second, make the snare sound thinner, your snare recording sounds too good to be white stripe material . Also, make the kick a little bit muddier. The definition in the original is coming from the floor tom I think. Also try to get the cymbals louder in the mix and more dominate.

My only other suggestion is to try and put some slight reverb on a master to bring everything together. I recorded a band that wanted to sound white stripish and I remember finding that doing that brought the track together as a whole.

Oh, and if you can, try and get rid of that amp noise at the beginning of the track. I don't know if it's comming from the bass or electric guitar. If it's comming form the electric rememeber to fade the track in.

Overall, good job. I'll love to see what you do with the vocals.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
cheers for taking the time.

thanks for the advice. ill try putting some of it into action. can re-record guitars unfortunatly as everything has to be done in college and we're on time constraints but ill definitly try the reverb over the entire mix idea.

thanks again for advice
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…