****in Chosen Ones bass.rar

Guitars
****ing Chosen Ones guitar1.rar
****ing Chosen Ones guitar2.rar

Any doubts, PM me
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool. I haven't checked into the tracks at all yet, but it's a cool idea. I'd like to be the first to say that this shouldn't be taken as a contest, but I'd LOVE to hear what other people do to the same tracks. Can everyone give a description (brief or comprehensive) of what was done in your mix? I might not get to it in the next day or so, but I'll have a go.

Neil
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh, and to make it fun, you shouldn't listen to any of the mixes posted until you've posted your own. That way you don't get biased by what others have done. I'm kind of excited.

Neil
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would have been more fun if the instruments were mic'd and not just samples and such, but I'll see what I can do i guesss.

Neil
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah, unfortunately the drums are samples. The bass and guitars also were recorded in a digital way.
Anyway, I think it's sounding good
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
No vocals?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Unfortunately, no vocalist to record yet...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't be arsed downloading files that size. Why didn't you compress the wavs with a lossless encoder before RARing them? The file sizes would have been halved, (and would decompress to exactly the same quality as the original wavs).

I wish people would get the hang of lossless compression
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Reminds me of Duke Nukem
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I will give it a try this weekend. To busy with learning. SAE test friday and im really really frickin nervous.
But is a GREAT IDEA!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amishsixstringe ➑️
Would have been more fun if the instruments were mic'd and not just samples and such, but I'll see what I can do i guesss.

Neil
Something I did to try and liven them up is I panned out all the drums as you'd normally hear them through overheads, cymbals/snare are the loudest, kick is the quietest. I exported all the drums and imported them to a stereo track and added some reverb to simulate a small room or a recording booth. Then I panned and mixed all the drums over top of those tracks, I'd say it adds a little depth.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This is pretty much what I've come up with so far...

myspace.com/tritoneproductionsmobile track 6
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'll bite.. please excuse the sloppy automation. ITB with stock PT8 plugs plus Drumagog.
Attached Files

Chosen_mix1.0_44.1_16.mp3 (4.18 MB, 4521 views)

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
And the circus is on fire! heh
That's it, guys! I'm digging your sounds and the editing.
Great ideas NickHiebert and Eclectic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic ➑️
I'll bite.. please excuse the sloppy automation. ITB with stock PT8 plugs plus Drumagog.
Nice mix arrangment, but i miss the punch in the drums. It has to smack in your face and the git "solo" rifs have to almost bleed your ears out heh
BTW, I have perhaps a guy that sing style TOOL/RATM on this, this weekend. English/French do...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah LeMauce, will be interesting to hear vocals on this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well i do my best men. But im more in to my exam SAE otm for tomorrow. Stress from here till tokyo lol.
And the guy isn't always here in paris. But i will try to catch him and put him in the booth.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm hoping to post a pass at it really late tonight. (Doing a lot of OT at work - not finding much free time). Was pretty happy with what I had after a couple hours last night, but hadn't addressed the solos yet.

How were the bass and guitars recorded?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
No problem LeMauce.
Mitch, the bass and guitars were recorded directly into the soundcard to the DAW and post processed with plugins such AmpegSVX for the bass and Guitarig for the guitars.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidwasted ➑️
No problem LeMauce.
Mitch, the bass and guitars were recorded directly into the soundcard to the DAW and post processed with plugins such AmpegSVX for the bass and Guitarig for the guitars.
There are a lot of obvious punches and the guitars and bass were heavily edited, but I dig the tone of the guitar considering it's DI'd...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hehe my first rock mix, dont expect too much thou IΒ΄m definetly no pro!

Just a normal mix, no editing whatsoever, some reverb, compression and eq. Then a limiter and stereo widener on the master output.

Nice track by the way!
Attached Files

Chosen ones.mp3 (5.09 MB, 4358 views)

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The hi-hat in this is unusable. You'd think they'd have some decent drum samples or at least a copy of EZ drummer at SAE somewhere..
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Skywalker, for me the hi-hat is sounding good.
I think you should add some low-end to the guitars.
Thanks for your time and enjoying the music!heh

Yeah NickHiebert, it was all edited take by take, but in the end, I don't think it affected the overall result.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's the deal with GTR 1A and 1B, were those DI'd tracks that were run through an amp sim? there are parts where it must have been from a single DI signal, duped to both tracks... during some palm mute parts... is that in fact the case?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah Ryanojohn, they are DI tracks that ran through an amp sim, but no parts was copied from another. 4 different takes.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➑️
Nice mix arrangment, but i miss the punch in the drums. It has to smack in your face and the git "solo" rifs have to almost bleed your ears out heh
BTW, I have perhaps a guy that sing style TOOL/RATM on this, this weekend. English/French do...
Cool. I'm not really into speed metal or whatever this is.. probably more from the pop-rock/CLA camp, at least that's how I hear it in my head. I'm still working on getting that into the mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidwasted ➑️
Yeah Ryanojohn, they are DI tracks that ran through an amp sim, but no parts was copied from another. 4 different takes.

it's weird 'cause there are parts where if you listen to those, panned out, they sum to mono during small sections of the palm mute parts, and it happens everytime that part comes up, which makes me think it's copy pasted sections. Plus the waveforms in look exactly the same in those small sections...

well I decided to have at it, here's my 30 min mix.

http://ryanojohn.com/mp3/GS%2001%20M1.mp3

PT 7.4, a bunch of waves API, took the cymbals and sent them to an IR of a room, about 50/50 blend. Entire drum submix goes through another IR of the same room, again 50/50 mix ish. Guitars are run through the speaker sim section of eleven to try and girth them up a bit. Bass has sansamp overdrive and +12dB at 2.5k and 1.5k lol, and moderately compressed. Master bus has light API compression 3dB GR at max.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
did anyone else notice what sounds like clipping or crackling on gtr2?
I found it to be very noticeable. I didn't hear it on the other clips but perhaps something happend when I unRAR'd it.
EDIT: found the problem 8k
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ryan, the guitars were heavily edited take by take. I guess that's why it's sounding weird and sometimes mono.
The bassdrum and snare are really great!
I just think the drums are a little bit loud.
Good work!

Paulo, I gotta admit, there is something weird about those DI tracks hahahaha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloticks ➑️
did anyone else notice what sounds like clipping or crackling on gtr2?
I found it to be very noticeable. I didn't hear it on the other clips but perhaps something happend when I unRAR'd it.
EDIT: found the problem 8k
it's there for sure... it's actually really odd... even just throwing it in the DAW it started to distort here and there. took a bit of effort to back it off enough to clean that up.

Probably also why my drums ended up front.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…