Here it is! Practice your mixing skills - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Here it is! Practice your mixing skills
Old 11th April 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiking ➑️
Still would love to hear your mix, or version, so all of us can see what type of point of prospective you are giving suggestions from. Because obviously if your room is screwed up your mix suggestions are pretty much in vain aren't they?
Good point.

Hell, my mix above was mixed on cans. Since I'm getting back to my studio (with proper monitors) this evening after an interstate trip, I'm prolly going to listen to my mix and
heh
Old 12th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
First Post

This is my first post. I have lurked here for a while but I had to get on the wagon for this thread. I'm definitely amateur but I would really appreciate some feedback on this mix. It's ITB on PT LE.
Attached Files

FCO Bounce MP3 192.mp3 (5.16 MB, 103 views)

Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My attempt,was fun
Attached Files

Chosen1192.mp3 (5.09 MB, 112 views)

Old 13th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok guys, you won!
Here is my attempt
****in_Chosen_Ones.mp3
Old 14th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidwasted ➑️
Ok guys, you won!
Here is my attempt
****in_Chosen_Ones.mp3
Hey Skidwasted - Now I see where you were basing your critiques from with others mixes. Your version does sound pretty good in the blending department however I can see why you commented on other mixes regarding them sounding bright, because your mix sounds quite dull. Which to me is indicating that your room and/or speakers are to bright giving you a false perspective. Thus because your system is to bright you are pulling that back to compensate for it. The only other possibility would be your ears are sensitive to high end and there again why the compensation.

I don't want to come off as a 'know it all' however it is always good to know where our individual systems are weak so that we can make adjustments with that info. Especially when you are giving feedback to some that are new to mixing audio. It's all in the betterment of sound isn't it!?
Old 14th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
well, here's my attempt, you guys are gonna eat me alive...

*thinks about not posting it*

****it, here goes nothing.
Old 16th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I did this in my 30mins lunchbreak with headphones:

(link removed, see attachment)

Didnt really have time to go indepth with anything: The guitar levels, fx need automation, there's some clipping on the guitar 2 tracks. Drumset is basically mono due to time limit. Still lots of work left. From a tonal POV there's not enough lower mids/mids but maybe it fits this genre.

skidwasted:

Thanks for posting these files. Your mix is pretty nice but too muddy in lower mids/bass and a bit too rolled of in treble and a tad too hot. -10dB RMS can sound good, but with your mix it doesn't so much, in this case less is more in my humble opinion.

There's many other interesting mixes in this thread.
Attached Files

chris_chosen.mp3 (4.85 MB, 149 views)

Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Great thread.. got a bit lost with the feedback as the mp3files have random names.. would have been good for the mixer to use "username_songname.mp3" for my own selfish clarity ;P

I heard one or two that sounded great.. some that suffered from the problems I personally have in some of my own mixes (Of my own songs).. I'm constantly battling my mixing and really need to nail this stuff once and for all (been 'battling' for almost 15 years lol)

the one that stood out most was very loud guitars but very smooth overall, sounded pro enough to my ears
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️
the one that stood out most was very loud guitars but very smooth overall, sounded pro enough to my ears

Cool, which one was it? I didnt have the time to listen to all mixes yet.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mavvok, I think the drums are in the front making the guitars and bass stay in the background. Maybe you should tweak the drums volume a bit down.

Chris, nice work!!
Everything is sounding clear and loud.heh
The drums sounding is great!
Old 17th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_m ➑️
Cool, which one was it? I didnt have the time to listen to all mixes yet.
I just tried to relisten to a few but can't remember now, there were at least 3 I think that sounded similar, overall smoothness/loudness - they were all pretty good.

Some of the others sounded more 'hollow' or a bit set back. I like some of the creative ideas with panning in some of them also (the guy with 2 versions with guitar panning hard L/R at the start sounded decent to me too)

I may give this a go later, I won't be uploading it as I think I'm probably the worst mixer in this thread.. I mix because I have to not for a living, I find it hard to judge my own mixes but can easily tell what's 'good' or 'bad' in other people's, very strange.

Edit > just thrown them in the daw, actually they sound pretty good already - the words 'almost mix themselves' comes to mind here, I guess most of my problems must come from the recording stage rather than the mixing stage (in my stuff)

Edit 2 > well as it didn't sound too bad (to my poor ears) here's my attempt, about 30 mins work (inc setup), If you can point out what's flawed it would be helpful as I can cross ref with other versions and maybe shed some light on my own inability to see the wood for the trees

It sounds nicely balanced enough but as I said the source files were good anyway, aside from the clipping on some guitar (I think). Had a little play around at the start, just rough as I should be working on my own stuff so nothing concrete... I usually end up with some imbalance in the spectrum.

ahh should point out I mixed this on AKG 240 HEADPHONES () due to noise limits here today, so I guess the bass levels and stuff are well off but it's just for fun

pro5_chosenones.mp3

I realised after exporting the mp3 that the lead guitar/solo around 3 mins is far too quiet in the mix but didn't have time to go back and tweak just now
Old 18th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
This was some real fun to mixheh Just got a new bundle of plug-ins and tried them for the first time here Here's my version.
Attached Files

metal_knackser.m4a (3.46 MB, 148 views)

Old 21st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
better late than never

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/75954-F___ing.mp3
Old 21st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcadiablo ➑️

I think this thread is dead ...
Old 23rd May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Here`s my attempt at it, if anyone is still listening?

SoundClick artist: ALAN K - ONE MAN, Two keyboards and a ton of VST`s with Sonar 8 P.E.

Thanks skidwasted for this, i might go try your acoustic one out.

Alan
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
My Mix

heres my shot at the mix tell me wut u think
Attached Files

****ing Chosen One(Mix 3).mp3 (4.31 MB, 109 views)

Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey Guys,

although this thread seems to be dead here is my mix of this imho very good audio material.....

plz let me hear your opinion.
Attached Files

****ing Chosen Mix 2.mp3 (4.24 MB, 151 views)

Old 29th May 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What a cool idea. Here's my whack at it...
Attached Files

CHOSEN_MIX.mp3 (5.01 MB, 131 views)

Old 4th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thank you guys for keeping this thread alive!!
In soon I'll be posting the re-recorded guitars and drums
Old 5th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Great Thread !!!
I Need to work on them Drums. I have to check with monitors tomorrow though. I mixed this now 2-3 am with AKG 240s.
Attached Files

ae mix 1.mp3 (5.19 MB, 78 views)

Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Here's what i came up with for the mix, I maximized it as well just to give a feel of how it might sound after being given a haircut for commercial use during mastering . I there's a couple of snare hits mistriggered but I kept them there for now (no big deal there). Bass was a bitch. I kept the toms the same, just volume leveled them since they are samples. ENJOY !

Alvin
Attached Files
Old 14th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Smile

Feedback is welcome and encouraged heh
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiebert ➑️
Reminds me of Duke Nukem

LOL.. same here. those were the days.
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiebert ➑️
Reminds me of Duke Nukem
... with maybe a whiff of "Go Go Power Rangers..."
Old 16th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Live 6 problem.

Problem Solved!: I needed to disable Auto-Warp Long Samples.
which is found at: Options Menu > Preferences > Record Warp Launch Tab > DISABLE Auto-Warp Long Samples.

I downloaded the TS's files as I of course want to build up mixing skills, but when it came to importing the audio files into Live6 I encountered a problem which was that the audio files aren't in sync or something.

I don't understand what the problem is myself, so I was wondering if anyone here did. Out of curiosity i tried Cubase as well with importing the files and it worked perfectly. I took 2 screenshots of each DAW if you don't understand what my problem is by what i've said.

If the TS, want's me to delete this post, as it is in the way of everyone else, be sure to tell me and i'll just delete it. Thanks for any advice you guys can share.
Attached Thumbnails
Here it is! Practice your mixing skills-ableton-live-6.jpg   Here it is! Practice your mixing skills-cubase.jpg  
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years

That was cool.

nsp904 [email protected]
Old 18th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Re-recorded

Here it is again!
As promised, the re-recorded drums, bass and guitars.
tempo: 164,8 bpm

Well, I think the only bad time you're gonna have is the second guitar.
The time to record was short and only at 2:30 am, so in the day after, I figured it was too bassy.
Anyway, it will be fun to listen the way out of yours and leaving your impressions about the song, would be appreciated.
P.S: The bass enters along with the drums at 00:05.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Old 24th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Up!
Old 26th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidwasted ➑️
Here it is again!
As promised, the re-recorded drums, bass and guitars.
tempo: 164,8 bpm

Well, I think the only bad time you're gonna have is the second guitar.
The time to record was short and only at 2:30 am, so in the day after, I figured it was too bassy.
Anyway, it will be fun to listen the way out of yours and leaving your impressions about the song, would be appreciated.
P.S: The bass enters along with the drums at 00:05.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
here's my attempt at this newer version of the tracks, some things could be different , depending on taste as usual. this is fresh and without any limiting or "maximizing" the master bus. 2nd solo wasn't in its place, had to place it myself following the tempo markers, good thing you mentioned the tempo, same for the bass and guitars, they werent in sync... consolidation problems ?

anyways, enjoy !

hilarious > dfegad
Attached Files

F_in_chosen_V2_Alvin_mix_GSTZ.mp3 (5.05 MB, 133 views)

Old 26th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Very good Alvin!!
I think this new version sounds more organic.
I don't know if you meant that way, but the 1st solo is starting a bit late.
Anyway, you did a great job.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…