Quantcast
Soft Rock Song Intro - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soft Rock Song Intro
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Soft Rock Song Intro

Last year my band paid quite a bit of money to record at a studio and got some seriously sub-par recordings. We recorded a song in my basement to see what I could do with it and they liked it so much, over my winter break we re-recorded our entire 14 song album.

Heres the intro to the slowest, calmest song on the album. Everything else is pretty upbeat and heavy, minus the vocals. Anyway, I wanted to see what the slutz think of this intro as a starting point. There is much much more mixing to be done!

Acoustic guitar was a $500 Martin mic'ed with an X-Y pair of AT4040s.

Vocals were recorded with an AT4033.

Electric guitar was a DI'ed Epiphone SG.

Everything was recorded through my Apogee Duet into Apple Logic running on a MacBook Pro heard through Dynaudio BM5as.

Thanks,
Greg
Attached Files

SignsStarsIntro.mp3 (2.29 MB, 181 views)

Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Vocals need to be brought up, with the acoustic being far to loud and competing with the vocal. Eq down a little of the highs on the acoustic and bring up some low-mids for some warmths.

It's a very good song, I love it.
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very nice. You need some mixing help here, as your vocal is already under-represented with the very few elements you have working here. A three instrument mix like this should permit the vocal to sound absolutely huge instead the apologetic appearance you show here. It's when you get into many more elements that things get small, paradoxically, without careful mixing.

The individual sounds are fine though. The performance, sensibility and arrangement are very pleasant. Keep up the good work.

John-
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
First of all, thanks for the kind replies and advice. I worked on the entire song more today, not just the intro. I think Ive got everything right where I want it tone-wise now. Im just new to the mixing process and dont know how to deal with some levels issues.

Is occasional clipping a horrible thing? I want to get it as loud as possible without clipping and I've gotten it to the point where I like the relative levels of the individual instruments but every now and then Ill have one loud snare hit or something that clips the master bus by a bit. I suppose I could open up the sample editor and polish up these problem areas but I'm not convinced its necessary.

Ill post something up tomorrow, where every my mix stands. I'm not sure what I plan on doing for mastering. I know I should take it to someone with experience but the costs are scaring me. Especially when I could be spending that money on more gear!

~Greg
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
For mastering, there's a guy on the cakewalk forums called Jamz0r or Jamz0rs who does it for free.

If you want, send the files over to me, I'd love to have a go at mixing this intro.

Clipping digitally is awful, analogue not so bad. When MIXING, ignore loudness. Mastering is when you put the LIMITER on.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was thinking Waltz Audio in Boston. They charge only $60 per song for more than 11 songs and we have 14. Their room and equipment is also really impressive. Far better than some of the other places I've looked at. There are also before and after audio examples that sealed the deal for me.

Quote:
EQUIPMENT

Our Mastering Studio was specifically designed with the highest attention paid to accurate acoustical detail and critical listening in mind.

The studio integrates "The Best of Analog and The best of Digital"

Compression (Analog):
Tube Tech SMC 2B
Maley Labs "Variable MU" (Tube)
TubeTech CL1 B (2)
Distressor Fatso
Distressor EL8
+ Many Digital Plug ins

EQ (Analog):
George Massenberg *Labs 8200
Focusrite: *Isomorpic EQ Blue 315
Daking 522708 EQ (2)
+ Many Digital Plug ins

Monitors / Amps:
Speakers: Dunlavy 5's
Power Amps: (2) Bryston 4b's

Other Gear:
Mytek Digital 8x192 AD/DA Conversion
SPL *MK2-T
SPL De-esser
Dangerous Monitor St
Dourrough Meters
Monster Pro 2500 (2)
Lexicon 300 Multi DsP
Anthony Dimario Labs ADL 600 Tube Pre's
+ Many Digital Plug ins
I've almost eliminated clips. Most of them I can't even hear. I don't know how Logic handles overs but it sounds pretty transparent. Its tough just because my vocalist gets loud to hit high notes and then quiets back down and he isn't the best at working the mic. Now its class time but later you'll get to hear my drums too! I'm really happy with how those sound in this mix.

~Greg
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Here it is.
Attached Files

signsandstars.mp3 (4.86 MB, 122 views)

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…