Quantcast
AEA R84 on trumpet - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AEA R84 on trumpet
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
AEA R84 on trumpet

Up until now I used an LDC on brass and winds but just couldn't control the "Splat" during loud passages.

See what you think of this ribbon mic on trumpet. It seems to even out the horn in a pleasant way and as if there is a built in compressor in the mic. I have not added any EQ or compression to the trumpet track.

Please let me know what you think, the mic is an AEA R84.

Artist Page Single - IACmusic.com KIAC Player

Thanks for taking a listen to the track-!!
Old 30th January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeyville ➑️
Up until now I used an LDC on brass and winds but just couldn't control the "Splat" during loud passages.

See what you think of this ribbon mic on trumpet. It seems to even out the horn in a pleasant way and as if there is a built in compressor in the mic.

Please let me know what you think, the mic is an AEA R84.

Artist Page Single - IACmusic.com KIAC Player

Thanks for taking a listen to the track-!!
Awesome! Great Work!! I LOVE the R84 for wind instruments. It offers a very smooth, "tailored" and "buttoned up" response, for the frequency range of these instruments. Its such a helpful tool, when its right for the sound hitting the mic, and most of the time, its always right. Can you say versatile? These Ribbons are such magnificent textures to have around for this style of music.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Awesome! Great Work!! I LOVE the R84 for wind instruments. It offers a very smooth, "tailored" and "buttoned up" response, for the frequency range of these instruments. Its such a helpful tool, when its right for the sound hitting the mic, and most of the time, its always right. Can you say versatile? These Ribbons are such magnificent textures to have around for this style of music.
Thanks Roc, I was hoping to get some feedback from horn players as well. The other great ribbon match with instrument is OH's with M160's. I got that tip from Steve (remoteness) drums are so big and opulent. Steves live recordings are amazing-!!

Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My roommate in college was a trumpet player and I got to record him a lot. I LOVE that R84, I want one really bad. The only thing I would do is EQ in maybe just 1dB of something around 16K to give it some air, I think you'll be golden then. Thanks for making my ears drool.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
andersmv- thanks-!!

I deliberately did not add Eq or compression to the trumpet track so as the mic could be realized with all of its "out of the box" potential.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ribbons and brass (and winds) make a great marriage.

I like the R84, but IMO, Coles 4038 takes the prize on trumpet...

Nice job tho!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead ➑️

Nice job tho!
I heard good things about the Coles, do you have a sample on trumpet without eq or compression? Would love to hear what you are doing with it-!! I purposely did not add EQ or compression to the trumpet track so you could hear how it sounded "right out of the box." I have John Swana coming in this week, I will post a little something with him but it will be processed.

Does the Coles contain a long ribbon?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➑️
The only thing I would do is EQ in maybe just 1dB of something around 16K to give it some air, I think you'll be golden then.
Definitely missing some of the "air" from the horn above 10k. Can you run an EV RE20 (or RE27) or LDC with the ribbon to add back some of the top? Otherwise, very sweet sound!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifftunes ➑️
Definitely missing some of the "air" from the horn above 10k. Can you run an EV RE20 (or RE27) or LDC with the ribbon to add back some of the top? Otherwise, very sweet sound!

It takes eq very well but my point was to present the mic unadulterated from compression and eq.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
depends on the sound you like but i think the trumpet sounds very balanced. Now the rest of the backing is fairly modern so they don't sit together quite as well. My tastes would be to soften up the backing tracks just a little and maybe roll off a little on the top end to fit with that great trumpet sound : P

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeyville ➑️
I heard good things about the Coles, do you have a sample on trumpet without eq or compression? Would love to hear what you are doing with it-!! I purposely did not add EQ or compression to the trumpet track so you could hear how it sounded "right out of the box." I have John Swana coming in this week, I will post a little something with him but it will be processed.

Does the Coles contain a long ribbon?
Sorry - have used one scores of times, but don't have one in my personal collection - yet!!! They seem to have that 'extra' magic (for trumpet) over the other top ribbons.

I'm not sure of the internals, but whatever they got in there is working - EXCEPT - overall durability. They tend to bust/stretch easier than any of the other ribbon mics I've used (Beyer M160/260/500/Royer R-121/122/SF-1/AEA R84/88)...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds classy, but maybe a little too burnished as others have said, at least adjacent to the very contemporary finish of your bass, keys and kit.

Very nice.

John-
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead ➑️

I've used both numerous times and disagree with the second statement. I like the R84 better than the Coles for trumpet.

My primary application is a group of 2-3 players though, spaced about 2-3 ft. from the horns.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston ➑️
I've used both numerous times and disagree with the second statement. I like the R84 better than the Coles for trumpet.

My primary application is a group of 2-3 players though, spaced about 2-3 ft. from the horns.
As you've said many times Lynn - that's what you LOVE about opinions on forums: everyone has one.

That's why I used IMO, which is just that! heh
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead

Orginally Posted by Lynn

I have to agree with Lynn here because of the many recordings I have listened to and the many articles he has written on ribbons.

Plughead, some samples recordings would help support the wisdom you have about the Coles?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…