Quantcast
Alternative/Rock Mix - Mixing Critiques - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternative/Rock Mix - Mixing Critiques
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Alternative/Rock Mix - Mixing Critiques

Hey fellow slutz...here's a demo I'm working on for a Seattle band. Just wanted to get some critism back on it overall (not the song structure or performance, just the mixing). I struggled with the bass and guitar playing nice due to the fact that the whole bass line is played way up on the neck and the guitar line was heavy down in the 250hz and below range. Still not really sure what's best for the vocals. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

http://12.173.187.54/Music/Smokin66/Overdose1_2.mp3

Thanks for your time.

J
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I couldn't hear the kick at all really, and I couldn't tell what was bass and what was guitar, or rather, I couldn't hear the bass either.
You say not to comment on composition but they're screwing themselves up there, because it's never going to sound right with everything playing in the same register.

The snare sounds like it has a low pass filter on it, and one of the guitar parts is sunk so far into the mix that you can only hear it when the main guitar part eases up a bit.

That main guitar is the culprit for all the rest of the problems, it's just overpowering everything, it's far too loud compared to everythign else and the tone of it is masking all the other elements.

I'd say you need to work from the bottom up. Get the bass and kick right, then do something about that main guitar part, high pass the hell out of it, and pan the other guitar part further to the left and bring its level up, and make it crisper, it's really muffled.
Vocal sounds clear but it's too quiet, and could do with something to beef it up a bit.

I'm an amateur myself but a long time spent critiquing my own less than stellar mixes has given me a good idea at least of how things shouldn't sound heh

Hope you don't take any offence, I'm just saying what I'm hearing.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
No offense taken whatsoever...that's exactly the feedback I'm looking for. And you're exactly right...the main guitar part is crushing everything. I'm trying not to spend too much time on it given that it's a demo, but I'll go back and rebuild.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frohgg ➑️
I'm trying not to spend too much time on it given that it's a demo, but I'll go back and rebuild.
It's your rep that's going to be attached to that demo though so it's in your best interest to get it as good as possible
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
It's your rep that's going to be attached to that demo though so it's in your best interest to get it as good as possible

Excellent advice! Back to the drawing board!
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Geez, FS you are a busy guy. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all those posts (not just mine)...so far I haven't found one I disagree with heh
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's just that I know how frustrating it is when you really want some feedback and there is none to be had

On the other hand though, there is a real bad habit that I have, many others too, which is posting stuff up just to get some kind of affirmation, that shouldn' really be necessary, especially when the track is not finished.

It's really hard, for me anyway, to resist putting an incomplete track up just because I want people to hear it, even if there is loads to be done, I actually just did it here a couple of days ago!

In the long run it's probably best for us to make it as good as we possibly can and trust our own judgement more in bringing it to fruition, because then people will be hearing more complete pieces of work when they click our links, which is better for everyone.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…