Quantcast
Am I tone deaf?!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Am I tone deaf?!!
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Am I tone deaf?!!

So I've been playing my tracks for ages, live when I was younger and I always assumed i could sing, my voice sounds fine to me.

Anyway I put some tracks up on a certain review site and pretty much all the responses I've got back state that the vocalist can't sing, he is off Key etc etc

A bit of a kick in the face but... Be honest what do you think? the track is below
Attached Files

wherewewere+needout.mp3 (1.88 MB, 327 views)

Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice composition here. Nice progression, dynamics, life and emotion. I enjoyed your vocal, and I'd consider myself more a stickler for pitch and accuracy than most. Your delivery is very stylistic, and this may be what folks are objecting to. On the other hand, I hear Damien Rice, Adam Duritz, Matt Pond pa and Nick Drake in your approach. I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of as well.

Bottom line, I liked your submission quite a bit and I'd encourage you not loose your steam. With the wall of throw-away work out there now, I can't really understand feeling critically towards your offering, and to the contrary really.

Consider retracking this piece with real cello as well; I think it's good enough to warrant that. Your BGV are just a little thick and dynamic - perhaps more attention getting than you intended.

Keep heart, friend, and congratulations.

John-
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cheers, this track was done a good few years ago I just found it again on a CD and thought I would post it up on slicethepie. Below are just some of the REALLY negative comments that I got. A friend recorded this at his studio, we did it in a couple of hours as a quick demo, his production ideas are much more POP then mine thoughI was thinking of re recording it as it isn't how I would do it now, I was thinking of re recording it but with feedback like this it kind of makes you think twice

"the backing music is quite good however the lyrics and the voice spoil it total c*** really c*** infact give up

The vocals aren't very good, they are weak and off key

the thing that really doesn't work is that singer, he can't sing.he sure needs some lesson that would really help him and there is practicly no lyrics."
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fine. I remain undeterred. It's good work.

John-
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
nice

i like it ,about the vocals...i like the intention yet i think it is not quite fully achived at times i think the ONLY verse needs more emotion/feel (yes,more!) yet i really like it
the i need out part's ok, the bridge comes way too early , you might wanna consider develop the song a bit more before you , haven't you anything else to say about why you need out before breaking in to that?
i also think the bridge's melody could be improved (somehow?)

the tranquil i need out afterwords could use once again
more emotion/feel (yes,more!)

if you could improve all that and i don't know maybe add more stings at the very last verse i would listen to your song while driving and cry to it

conclusion i think it doesn't sound that desperate
i like what i hear so far
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
did i mention i like your voice?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whoever posted those comments obviously don't know jack about music so I wouldn't worry about it at all, they can't spell either, just a bunch of chavs writing drivel, really shouldn't be concerning yourself with those comments.

Nice track, great vocal, end of
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Well it all depends on what style you're going for. To me it sounded like you were in pitch for the style, but your choice of lead line itself was very monotone/atonal to the key itself a more static formant more than pitch, which isn't so much vocal technique but a writing decision/issue. I can understand why the people were saying that, but also like the style that you're doing and feel that it fits. Many vocalists though use a monotone delivery, from Iggy Pop through Damon Alburn and many many others, it's a style that you either like or don't, it may just be that the people you posted to just don't get the style of music you're making.

If it worries you then the best route to take is to simply play out the line on another instrument and compare side by side with what you think you're singing and the actual line. You could also simply test by using a tuner and monitoring your line via the tuner against the notes you've written. Though don't get too anal about it, what's important is character of voice rather than perfect pitch (IMO), and I think you've got something good going on there.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i like the track
Old 19th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Heh... I actually tried that site out. I think my average was 5.5 for my three songs, mostly reviews were just people ripping on them.
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the vocals didn't bother me either. the recording of them didn't seem that great though. very bedroom sounding though but in a lo-fi way. that could be fine given the aesthetic. if i had the track, i'd be sweeping the lead vocal right in the middle, like 1k-1.6k.there's some resonance there that i'd like to hunt down and get rid of. the vocal mic technique also seems to waiver. you can clearly hear you turn off the mic at times. "sing me the songs yada yada yada" part for example. you could fix that with some dynamic ides though.

the acoustic bugs me. it sounds so rushed,especially when you hear it singled out in the beginning more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You know what, I don't like this track myself now!! It was recorded about 5-6 years ago now and I would do the whole thing differently now.

I didn't record it myself but used a friends studio, It's actually an AKG C12VR on the vocals the most expensive mic I've ever used on my voice but I find the tone too thin and bright, shows you've got to get the mic that fits your voice (also my mic techinque is much improved now I think)

Cheers for the listen
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
very cool tune, quite catchy , as for you voice a little pitchy at times but nothing Melodyne couldn`t fix up. You have a very stylistic voice, which i say go for it, NEVER GIVE UP over comments from any forum. 90% of the people on forums are amateurs anyway and they are only opinions.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd go along with the "pitchy" comments, you need to nail those. Stay the feck away from Autotune and learn to do it right, first time every time. You need to be objective about your voice so probably don't listen again for a few days, then go back to it. Any problems should be quite obvious. I'd happily point out where the problems are if you're struggling. Drop me a PM or something, no worries. The composition is fine
Old 10th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Hey, old thread I know, but just wanted to say that it sounds fine from here. I especially liked your voice.
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmer ➑️
So I've been playing my tracks for ages, live when I was younger and I always assumed i could sing, my voice sounds fine to me.

Anyway I put some tracks up on a certain review site and pretty much all the responses I've got back state that the vocalist can't sing, he is off Key etc etc

A bit of a kick in the face but... Be honest what do you think? the track is below
dude, that is a great tune, love it!

I more into the vibe than all the production analysis.

Good jam.
Old 11th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know how you recorded this but I find it easier to sing if I play the guitar while I'm singing. Also singing with headphones can make it harder to keep a good pitch. I always have one ear free so i can hear my voice in the room. Sometimes I let the music play through the speakers while I'm recording.

I like the song and your voice. Reminds me of that "Mr. Jones" guy... Counting Crows?
Old 17th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver ➑️
I don't know how you recorded this but I find it easier to sing if I play the guitar while I'm singing. Also singing with headphones can make it harder to keep a good pitch. I always have one ear free so i can hear my voice in the room. Sometimes I let the music play through the speakers while I'm recording.

I like the song and your voice. Reminds me of that "Mr. Jones" guy... Counting Crows?
that does help alot

I find it easier to sing my stuff while playing, but not covers
Old 18th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sounds good to me. One thing I've definitely noticed is that people automatically are more critical of something from someone they know is not famous. You could hand the same song and tell them it was from some famous band and they'd not question it at all.

As to being perfectly on pitch, I say screw that. Lots of singers out there can be dead perfect on pitch all the time, but we hardly ever consider them to be the true greats. The lack of imperfections these days, due to the tools being available to fix them all, is one of the things that has contributing to music losing it's value, though not nearly so much as people just stealing it. But when everything can be fixed up, everything starts getting that Steely Dan sort of effect (though obviously within the constraints of the particular genre) where it just becomes sonic wall paper.

The truely distinctive voices aren't perfect voices, hardly ever. Take the mojo take every time, even if it's a little 'pitchy'. Of course maybe it's easy for me to take this position since I'm pitchy, too :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
True Dean!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Other than one or two flat notes that go by really quick, there is no pitch problem. Maybe they didn't like the vocal style. I think the vocals fit the style of music.
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Great song, the only thing that really poped out was the level of the bgv in the first chorus. They are pretty hot and could probally be taken down but as far as pitch, sounds fine to me.
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some mix balance issues aside, it's a good song and I like the way you really put emotion into it. It does NOT have to be perfect, music was never meant to be perfect. ( at least not to me ) Work on the mix balances a little more. Overall, a very good job
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…