Quantcast
I used Ableton Live to record - Have a listen. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I used Ableton Live to record - Have a listen.
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I used Ableton Live to record - Have a listen.

3 Instrumentals and 1 with vocals. Im proud of these, but I know they could use some help. For example they sound too quiet (it could be im not to familiar with mastering).

Let me know what you think.

Old 27th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok, apparently there is a problem with the mp3's and the way they were embedding on the soundclick website. This will effect the songs in a very bad way ie - causing clicks, and buzzes. Sorry about this. Iam working on a myspace music site.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Eye's Like Television - ReverbNation
This should work now.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Any advice? comments? criticism?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
so...ok...i know the song isnt the greatest and the singing could use more work....but can someone give me something to work on....like a main priority. There's a few things i need to work on, but would like to pick jsut one for now and work my way up...you know what i mean?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey i'll bite.

I like your guitar tones. The drums when in isolated moments sound very "sampley" for lack of a better word. Its not my taste. That said the drum ambiance sounds very good.

Your tastes in tonality vary greatly from mine. Another thing is your effects are so contrasting on the vocal to the clean vocal that they sound out of place to me. I like the tone of the Voc fx more than the clean vocal sound. The vocal FX also seem to take a bit too much focus away from the cleaner vocal.

To me the tones of various things in the track seem too different for my tastes. The drums for instance have a lot of top end on them, more than i feel fits into the other elements. To get elements to blend a lot better its sometimes necessary to compromise the tone of one instrument to fit with another.

You're on the right track though. Thats all i have time for for now. Thats what stood out the most.

Regards,

Russell
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey, thanks Russell!

Your critique was much better than expected - people tend to be harsh when hidden behind a computer. And I agree with everything you had to say.

That be said; I would like to refute myself - in a way.

The drums - I dont own real drums. I was using battery 3 in conjuction with my Alesis controlpad. Its the best I can do right now. Im hoping theres a way I can make samples drum sound better.

The vocals - I agree wholeheartedly with your statements. I'm still working on getting a good tone. I guess. Not sure what to say here. I've been recording my own vocals for a few months now and i just need more practice..I guess.

Thanks again Russell for taking the time to comment. But with what you were saying, should I focus primarily on my drum sounds or vocals (im trying to focus on my vocals)? I need to prioritize myself.

Thanks again
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, it's a cool track. It's got a mood to it, which is always good. Liked the "someone always does" refrain. I see what you mean about your voice, it sounds quite cure-esque in the higher register but I think I preferred the lower-sung bits even tho the timbre wasn't quite so distinctive. Probably just have to keep writing songs and see which way it goes. But on a grammatical note: that apostrophe in "eye's .." is simply wrong wrong WRONG!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
AH DAMN! Thanks for pointing that out! I'm an idiot sometimes. haha
anywaysss....thanks for the comments. seriously. im at work right now and this makes me geared up for some more recording. I'll see what I can do about the vocals tonight. perhaps ill stay away from the higher pitched vocals..i dont know..i thought i liked them....but there was something to them that didnt click. so, vocals it is then.....im wondering if i should stick with my acoustic/vocals and worry aobut the rest later.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's not that I disliked the higher vox, don't mean to suggest you should stay away from them! I kind of have the same trouble myself. I wouldn't worry about prioritizing too much ... there are so many aspects to recording/production to consider you can easily get lost in the details (and you can always rerecord vocals etc as your confidence/knowledge grows) whereas a killer song is always going to be a killer song (well, unless it's an Aphex Twin remix).

mark
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey thanks man! I checked out your myspaces - good stuff! Well some good and some so-so. The first two tunes on your "sven" myspace are good. They have a real cool depeche mode sound. I love depeche mode. The vocals were nice and clear...my only distraction was the lyrics were kinda bad and your pitch wasnt the greatest. But overall I liked your sound. I was thinking ...damn...i would love to make songs like these. Perhaps theres a way we can collaborate. I'd love to try and sing over some music you've created. you got the electro sound down.

Now i know this thread was about my tune, but i couldnt resist. And i wont be offended if you can't collaborate.

oh and about my song....im just gonna write something else and leave that one be. its okay but i feel like i can do better. im at a crossroads with it. like i like my low key sounding voice, but i felt like if i did that the whole song it would be boring. and i wanted the chorus to jump out at you. and its just not working.

please ignore grammatical errors....im at work and im writing quickly and how i talk..i guess. lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesliketv ➑️
Hey, thanks Russell!

Your critique was much better than expected - people tend to be harsh when hidden behind a computer. And I agree with everything you had to say.

That be said; I would like to refute myself - in a way.

The drums - I dont own real drums. I was using battery 3 in conjuction with my Alesis controlpad. Its the best I can do right now. Im hoping theres a way I can make samples drum sound better.

The vocals - I agree wholeheartedly with your statements. I'm still working on getting a good tone. I guess. Not sure what to say here. I've been recording my own vocals for a few months now and i just need more practice..I guess.

Thanks again Russell for taking the time to comment. But with what you were saying, should I focus primarily on my drum sounds or vocals (im trying to focus on my vocals)? I need to prioritize myself.

Thanks again
Hey, i have little time but to answer your question, i think something in the drum ambiance that "hides" the sampleness more would be nice, something simple to change, but vocal wise i think not a bad basic sound, but the fx are too seperate from the dry vocal, you need something, perhaps an insert effect, that makes the base vocal wetter. I could hear a sweet slapback on that vocal a la pink floyd..

OR.. maybe just a different mic for the vocal or approach to EQ.. it sounds a bit "pinched" and maybe it just needs a good cut in the right spot (somewhere in the 1-8k range its really hard for me to say i'm no GURU) to take away that pinched thing on the lead... the backings actually sound much fuller, and i think its your head voice versus your main voice. maybe use a different mic for your head voice or eq it differently.

I agree it has a mood, cool stuff dude!

Russell
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks again Russell. Im listening to some of your stuff right now - im digging it. i was being a creeper and foudn a thread you created. your songs are much better than mine - i wish i could have that sound. my mixes always sound flat as you can see with this song i posted. its like they need to be mastered??? not sure. my fault for going digital i guess. your songs have a cool decemberist's like quality to them - they just need some vocals!!! i like the "crescendo" type thing on wissy - where the piano and guitar are kinda "soloing"..that part has some goose bump quality to it. and i like the piano on the other song. both are really good. if you guys dont finish the vocals i wouldnt mind taking a go at it.

take care and thanks for listening!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesliketv ➑️
Thanks again Russell. Im listening to some of your stuff right now - im digging it. i was being a creeper and foudn a thread you created. your songs are much better than mine - i wish i could have that sound. my mixes always sound flat as you can see with this song i posted. its like they need to be mastered??? not sure. my fault for going digital i guess. your songs have a cool decemberist's like quality to them - they just need some vocals!!! i like the "crescendo" type thing on wissy - where the piano and guitar are kinda "soloing"..that part has some goose bump quality to it. and i like the piano on the other song. both are really good. if you guys dont finish the vocals i wouldnt mind taking a go at it.

take care and thanks for listening!
hey man. thank you very much for the compliments!

The answer is.. we are hobbiests but have the aspirations of professional musicians. As a result our ears move ahead of our skills. we listen to lots of music and work on many things but don't have a lot of time to finish them up. Those tracks you heard are eventually getting onto an album we are working on. I'd say we're about half done it. Definately will finish the vocals. I'm really hoping we finish it in 2009.

We have a young daugther and regular jobs, and we figure you can't rush something if you want to be proud of it forever. So if we haven't lived up to what's in our heads we redo things, not just for the sake of it, only if there are genuine problems. If I can't get the sound right with the tools i have I save up for more tools and keep tweaking. It is certain that we will get there soon enough. I have some close to final mixes on about half of the project, but its a long one (60+ minutes) with some complex stuff in it so its taking a long time to get all the parts played tightly and get the sound right in the mix stage.

Rock on, thanks for taking my comments positively.

I've taken those songs a lot farther since then, but haven't added a single part. that wisy "when i see you" was definately complete part wise there was just some tonality stuff between instruments that wasnt' sitting quite right. If you heard the raw mixes as miked i think it would give you a great idea as to what i mean when i say the tone of each instrument has to fit with the next. I was a lot closer on those mixes but the ones i have now sound even slicker.

Regards,

Russell
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh, also, just to be clear, i am 100% digital in recording but most of the instruments are analog

just so that you knew that the sound could be achieved digitally.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Should I invest in better equiptment or better talent/skills (ie vocal lessons)? I think i need some monitors. I dont have any. I use a pair of behringer headphone monitors and i know some speakers would be ideal because headphone use for long period of time is bad for the ears. Monitor speakers are just so expensive!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…